Roger Pen version

Thanks for the link Zebras. Unfortunately, it appears the information on FM Hearing Systems is incorrect. Here is the official datasheet of Roger Pen iN. Notice the lack of phone buttons, and Bluetooth specs.

2 Likes

Comparing the new iN pen to the 1.1 it does look like there are changes other than recievers and bluetooth. The operating range has changed from 10 meters to 50 meters. Pretty dramatic change!!

1 Like

Oh wow thatā€™s interesting about the range.

Maybe it is just a typo! 50 meters puts it in the category of one of those super James Bond spy devices.

But, I did mention in a different thread how amazing my Select worked when I left it on a table in a noisy restaurant and walked across the room - probably 30 meters away. So maybe-------

Edit: Just looked at the datasheets for the Select same difference, the regular Select has a range of 10 meters, the iN has a range of 50 meters!

https://www.phonakpro.com/us/en/products/wireless-accessories/roger-pen/literature-roger-pen.html

https://www.phonakpro.com/us/en/products/wireless-accessories/roger-select/literature-roger-select.html

Yes, the maximum range spec has improved greatly! This is mostly down to two things: the Marvel hearing aids with RogerDirect have much improved reception capabilities, almost twice as good as our external receivers, and that the measuring methodology have changed a bit since we released the original Roger Pen some 7 years ago. Notice that the Roger iN datasheets say clear line-of sight, free-field? That means that the range was measured under exactly those conditions, i.e. nothing in between the transmitter and the receiver that can interfere with the transmission. Itā€™s a good way of doing measurements because they are repeatable by anyone as long as you can find a large enough place without any interfering object such as walls or furniture. Any football pitch will do basically.

For the original Roger Pen the range is more of an approximation of the range possible in a ā€œtypicalā€ indoor environment. The problem with that kind of spec is that my definition of a typical environment is not the same as your definition of a typical environment, which makes it difficult to relate to the numbers.

In short, yes the numbers are different but it has not as much to do with the iN products themselves as with the hearing aids with RogerDirect.

3 Likes

I have Marvel M90-13T with RogerDirect - 2 select iNā€™s and 4 Roger 1.1 pens. Call me a power user.

As compared to when I used Roger with telecoil via Roger MyLink before Marvel 2.0 came out, the range in which I can have Roger going without interruption to one of the ears has been greatly impacted. If there is nearly anything blocking the line of site, or if the person is wearing a coat and zipped it up with the mic inside to cover the wind - frequent disconnects. Itā€™s infuriating and the Roger MyLink did significantly better in terms of distance and being able to have some (minor) things obstructing the view. I remember being in the operating room and I left the OR to use the restroom and walked at least 75 feet with big and thick walls in between and I was still hearing what was going on in the OR while I walked away. Not a chance with the receivers in the Marvel aids. I donā€™t need THAT good, but I would like someone to be able to put a jacket on and not have it disconnect and only stream to one ear off and on. This is my one critique of RogerDirect. I wish it was as good or even half as good as the strength of the Roger MyLink. As far as direct in sight view, Iā€™m sure it could go as long as you say, but I have trouble with ~20 feet experiencing the same connect/disconnect issue or only one ear streaming and the second ear sometimes gets the signal. Itā€™s been disappointing. This happens on both selects and all 4 pens.

2 Likes

I just got back from a long walk with a friend. We stayed between 10 & 30 ft apart. I clipped a Roger clip-on mic to her coat. Never lost the signal but it did occasionally disconnect from one side or the other. I think the Roger signal doesnā€™t pass through the head as well as the Bluetooth signal - at least not my thick head.

1 Like

I do like the tech of the Roger Pen and for the most part Phonak is cutting edge in HA innovation. However , I donā€™t really use it. You have to point it and some people ask what Iā€™m doing. Itā€™s not very discreet. Judging by the avalability on Ebay and others , Iā€™m not alone. For some, Iā€™m sure itā€™s a lifesaver and great product in the classroom.

Hi focusandearnit, thanks for sharing your experience. MyLink does indeed do a good job as a receiver. As it is body worn it does not get obstructed by the head, and its antenna is not restricted by the size limitations of a hearing aid. As Psych1 mentions, Roger (or any low power 2.4GHz signal) does not pass through the head very well. 2.4GHz gets absorbed by water, and the body is full of it. Compared to the ear-level receivers like Roger X the Marvels are much improved, though I understand that does not help you one bit.

Cloth should not impede the Roger signal much, but if the zipper is made out of metal it can and probably will affect the transmission if it is in close proximity to the microphone.

The drop out you experience at ~20ft could be due to surface reflections, where a reflected radio wave interacts with the direct radio wave destructively, so they cancel each other out. This will happen at certain distances depending on various factors such the transmission frequency and the conductivity of the surrounding surfaces. It is referred to as the Fresnel Zone in physics.

4 Likes

Donā€™t get me wrong though. I love Roger. Thanks for your hard work.

1 Like

@focusandearnit thanks for that comparatif. But what about quality of speech. Do you find the Marvel better. Or pretty much same as my link telecoil

RogerDirect is a little better than telecoil, but quality is still excellent in telecoil. Telecoil has a baseline hum sound due to the magnets, and not Roger. Itā€™s very faint, but itā€™s there.

1 Like