Roger On Mic Failed

I received my Roger On mic in Dec '21. Yesterday it failed while I was listening to it via the media cable. The power switch does nothing.

If I plug in into the charger, it will initially draw about a quarter amp of 5v. That drops off pretty quickly. It is taking power, so I don’t think the battery is dead. I’ve tried a couple different ways to charge it. The stand-in for my audiologist (who is away on honeymoon) said to bring it in for repair. So fun.

I seem to recall someone saying they heard there were quality problems with these. They’ll have another shot on this one!

WH

My experience with Phonak is they tend to replace any defective device with a new one rather then repair. If you have the IN model and have transferred the receivers to your aids you just might get back a new one with new receivers that you can use for other aids. Happened to me with a Select.

1 Like

My aids came with the licenses in them. I only have the non-in version. But it has worked SO well until yesterday. Poof. I do expect a new one. But if they repair it, that is totally fine.

WH

1 Like

@WhiteHat I did get a Roger on iN and it had scratches and a bump on the screen, the rest were brand new; I’ve sent it back and got another one, this time around with few scratches and no bump on the screen, but eventually it did develop a bump after a couple of months.
I did get in touch with Phonak CS, but they weren’t helpful.
Luckily, I’ve got 2 years warranty with it, in case it stops working, I will have to send it for a replacement.
It does work with the bump on the screen, but I guess it is just a matter of time before it dies.
I think Phonak have quality control issues or the On is not yet ready for prime time.

1 Like

My Roger On IN just stopped working after a few weeks. I took it to my Audi who sent it back to Roger. I was sent a new one. No extra receivers.

2 Likes

Did you receive the new one in a sealed box directly from Phonak or did you pick it up at your audiologist?

I picked it up from my Audi. It s
Did have the charger in there so now I have 2. So now I have 2 tv streamers

The case of the missing receivers - the plot thickens.

Doesn’t anyone want to play? I love a good mystery.

Based upon the price difference between IN and non IN models, the value of the receivers is $500 or more.

What does “new” mean?

If Phonak is sending a new replacement IN device, would they open the package, remove the receivers, then reseal the package before sending it out ?

Would ---- nah, can’t be.

1 Like

If they are replacing a broken “in” model which came in without receivers, I wouldn’t expect them to send more of them, even if they send a new device. If you sent it back with receivers in it for a reason, that would be different in my mind. It may be nice to have if you have other aids which could use them, but I wouldn’t think you’re entitled to them. Do you see it differently? I think the cables sent extra is even above and beyond.

WH

No, I don’t think I am “entitled” to them. It is just my, limited experience with sending in defective items to Phonak. After 2 years the batteries in my Marvels started failing. My audiologist sent them in and got a brand new pair that had to be programed.

My Select also had battery problems and Phonak sent a new, sealed, replacement. Because I had already transferred the receivers from my original one I only had to pair to connect. It was only after reading the PDF that @Zebras recently posted that I decided to check and discovered that the replacement had receivers installed.

3 Likes

Wow! Do you have aids to use them? Well, that would be nice if you could do something with them! My temp audiologist thinks I have a “in” version, although I don’t. I wonder if what I get back will be the “in” version. Not expecting, but who knows?

WH

(My regular audiologist is on her honeymoon!)

I am committed to Phonak and waiting for the Vitro rechargeable. I was thinking that I would have to transfer the receivers from my Marvels. Now I won’t have to do that and will have receivers in my back-up aids.

2 Likes

My mic made it to the clinic yesterday, and they immediately forwarded it on to repair. And the audiologist confirmed that while they mark it for repair, Phonak often replaces them with new. They will ship it to me from the clinic when it comes back. Phonak isn’t allowed to do anything direct with patients on a physical basis.

WH

2 Likes

My replacement Roger on (not in) came a little more than a week ago. It had been sent from Phonak in Illinois via ground to the audiologists’ lab, and they mailed it to me.

Brand new with all the cables etc but not a dock.

Had to link it to my HAs and pair with phone. Didn’t really want to cooperate on that last part, but it did it.

I’ve used it in a restaurant a couple times and at home in family noise and it is really good to have that tool back in the bag.

Was at a local pub chain called 99 the other night while they had a trivia contest going on (really poor, overdriven & distorted PA with crowd response noise) and I aimed it at my buddy’s face. Used myPhonak app to mix out all the HA mic input. I could actually carry on a conversation.

About 6 weeks with no mic. I lived. My friend had no idea it was broke, but canceled all our get togethers while it was broken. Just as well, I guess.

I think my wife wants one for her wrist which will override whatever else I have coming in!

WH

2 Likes