Roger Focus

Hey

Ok. So i got focus and one of them is a 2014 model the other a 2016. It was suggested that i get an inspiro to upgrade the firmware.

Why would i want to do this. I am more then wiling to read and learn myself but i cant find info. I have looked everywhere even the phonak changes and discontinued announcements lol

I also want to confirm that the only way to change firmware on a roger receiver is via inspiro or touchscreen mic is this correct?

And finally i have a question on adaptive gain and max db on focus. I read on phonak websites about verification mode. Obviously i dont have the equipment to test the frequency and db but it makes me question if im not so crazy when i feel a huge difference between 2 sets of focus. My first focus pair i trialed and had to return too early because of covid seemd super loud and sometimes overwhelming. As soon as the mic would go in Omni mode, even at lowest volume setting, it was ear splitting. This pair that i got off eBay to hold me till stores open and i get my job back seems quieter. I am finding that i like omni very much and have even started to carry roger pen on me in omni mode. Its not overwhelming except at 3 last volumes. I also realized that the first focus pair i was set at the very first volume level. This one im almost at middle. So my question is this, is it the firmware update that causes this? Is this the verification mode and changes to calibration that causes this ? Maybe it was wrongly calibrated or calibrated not to my liking. Is it possible to change gain setting in verification mode? If i get the new focus from store will i be able to adjust this? If yes then i should get Touchscreen mic or inspiro as its the only way right?
Maybe touchscreen instead of select.

Thanks

Maybe @RogerPM can help me if he wants.

Going into the Roger software will confirm that you can only update the receivers via the Touchscreen or Inspiro!!

1 Like

The 2014 Focus will have an old hardware number so you won’t be able to update it to the latest firmware 2.0. It’s Phonak’s way of stopping supporting older products.

The 2017 Focus will be okay tho and you’ll be able to upgrade it to the latest firmware 2.0.

1 Like

Hi Nikita,

You seem to have gotten some excellent advice from Zebras already, so I don’t have that much to add. In terms of adjustments there is not much you can do on Roger Focus. You are basically limited to the EasyGain adjustment, and that you can already adjust directly with the volume control on the device, so no need to get a Select or Touchscreen mic for that.

In the Roger Focus FAQ the last point mentions that using an earhook would give about 8dB of additional gain. That corresponds well to the difference you are describing as you say you needed to turn down the volume to the minimum setting, which would be -8dB. Not sure how plausible it would be that you trialed devices with earhooks attached though…

Considering that you say you get a benefit of wearing Roger Pen in omni mode, I’m thinking it might make sense for you to try using hearing aids. A standard Marvel is probably enough, like an M50. No need to get anything fancy as you seem pretty content with the Roger Focus. Hearing aids would allow for far more adjustment possibilities, but it also comes at a price of course.

If you are thinking about getting an additional microphone I’d advise you to go for Roger Select rather than the Touchscreen mic, as it is more suited for social situations. The select feature allows you to choose what directions you want it to pick up sound from. It works much better on a table than Roger Pen if there is a bit of background noise or if there are multiple conversations going on.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

In verification mode, when adjusting gain its the same as volume gain? There is no way to calibrate it? That’s so weird that I’m finding such a huge difference between the 2 sets both with a slim tube. Could it be the firmware?

And yes i am aiming the sky marvel m30 at 3800 the pair! I was about to trial them with a roger receiver and pen when covid happened. They refused to let me trial them as they were closing up shop. So i decided to invest in used focus pair till this out break settles. Then i could see if Marvel sky is best for me.

@RogerPM @Zebras you are amazing. Thanks

And i just bought the inspiro at 63$usd shipping customs included. I’ll use it to upgrade firmware. I’ll resell it if i go for sky. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just found out that your 2014 Focus should update to 1.7 which is only 1 before the 2.0 update.

1 Like

Im just worried that updating i would lose what i like aboit focus. Its not overwhelming anymore

I would read what the firmware the Focus’s are on and let me know. I’ll be able to tell you what the firmware allowed you to do.

You can read the firmware via the Inspiro. You don’t need to connect to the Roger software.

EDIT - if the firmware is the same in both Focus’s, I personally would leave it.

If the 2014 firmware is lower then the 2017 firmware, I would only update the 2014 Focus to make it the same as the 2017 Focus. Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks @RogerPM I’m going to try my Grandmas Focus’s and use a ear hook and closed ear mould in my left ear. Will see if I can hear anything with the volume plus the extra for using an ear hook.

1 Like

For Roger Focus EasyGain and the volume control is the same thing I’m afraid. It’s mentioned in the FAQ as well.

There is no difference between the 1.7 and 2.0 FW. The version number was just bumped to be aligned with other receiver firmwares.

There also seem to be no real difference between the 2014 hardware and the 2017 hardware. There were just some changes of components that were EOLd by the supplier.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. You’re great! Thanks for being part of the forum.

Roger pm!!! Thanks

So the only thing i can think of is one of them is defective. I sure hope it’s the first pair.

I just got a second roger pen. This one is the easy pen with base and wires. I got it from a guy in calgary for 100$ cad!!!
Anyway i got it because at times i dont want to hold mic like if we are biking. I cant hear speech when biking and road noise. Yeah i hear noise but cant understand. Bike rides are boring. So the idea is to put it on my husband and my younger who to me mumbles (no she talks just i cant hear her!!!)

So i connected primary pen (1.1) to receivers, then easy pen to primary pen. It worked well. But… I was under the impression from extensive reading and studying this that its first talker gets through shutting off the other mic. And thats what i want. Not in this case. If a person is talking in the secondary oen (easy pen) and somoen starts talking after in primary pen, the primary pen wins every single time. I reversed the pens and made easy pen primary and same thing. Primary pen takes precedence. Weird. Second easy pen is a 2016 and 1.1 is 2018. I have not received inspiro yet so cant check firmware. But is this something u guys have experience. Maybe im doimg something wrong. Its not a huge issue. Ill teach my girls ro mute the pen. But i liked that it cant intrude on talker.

You can check the firmware on the Pens without the Inspiro.

When I connect 2 x Touchscreen’s, the 2nd transmitter cuts off if the person is speaking into the 1st transmitter. The same happens if the person is speaking into the 2nd transmitter, the 1st cuts out.

I’m not a fan of how the system works if you are using 2 x transmitters.

1 Like

I can mute my Touchscreens but can you mute the Pens?

I’d be interested to know if you can.

Absolutely. You press the on button briefly. It mutes it. Both easy and 1.1 pen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weird as it’s not supposed to be like that.

Here is what it says on site Phonak q and a

Q: Which speaker has priority?

A: Every microphone has the same priority, the device that detects the voice first will transmit its voice until the speaker stops speaking (another speaker cannot interrupt).

Note that if the audio cable is plugged directly into Roger Pen, it will always be active and no other microphone is able to transmit.

It seems possible that you do not have the latest 2.0 firmware. To check and update the firmware version you only need a USB cable and Roger Upgrader. No need for an Inspiro or Touchscreen Mic.

2 Likes

In this You Tube video Phonak don’t even mention using the Pen in omni-directional anymore. They say it’s only good for one on one situations.