Ric receiver connect bte mold

I will try the RIC version of the hearing aid, now I am wearing a BTE. How can RIC receiver and BTE mold be connected? Just for the purpose of hearing aid testing? I have programming equipment and I don’t want to make custom mold until I’m sure if the hearing aid will be good.
if anyone has any link to the instructions

@markoo355: As you know, I’m NOT one of the technical gurus around here, however, I do understand enough to tell you that:

1. The receiver in a BTE HA is situated in the body that fits behind the ear. The sound it produces is channeled to the ear moulds by air conduction, through plastic tubes, which connect the body to the mould;;
  2. Receivers of RIC/RITE devices are moulded into the earpiece that resides in the ear. The sound is produced by a miniaturized speaker whose electrical wires are connected to the body of the HA by means of a plastic-coated lead that follows the same routing as the air tubes of the BTE getup. The sound is generated within the ear canal, itself;
  3. The wires of the RIC HA are much finer than mould tubes, and cannot be modified for air conduction.

The only way to do a test would be to make a test mould out of some kind of interim putty - which I wouldn’t do for fear of clogging up the receiver.

Good luck (I hope you are well.)

1 Like

Not for the purpose of testing the RIC aid. You’re better of by either using a powerdome/dome with a minor vent or by creating a soft custom mold from artistic two-component silicone paste. (See this thread.)

I found that with RIC, you get the best results with combining a vented dome and paste. Haven’t posted it though, because…lazy…Anyways, use few grams of paste behind the mold around the receiver and stick a bendable stick throught the vent and the paste. (When you remove the stick after hardening you’ll have a vent: Drilling is not very nice since the receiver is too thick and the paste will rupture along the vent canal. I use the green sticks supplied by Phonak slimwires, because they are there. However, you could use copper wire or iron: At least those are available at a lot of cross sections.) Let the stick only stick out for one ( or two) millimeter(s), because that side goes into your ears. Wait 5 minutes. Done.

1 Like

I’m fine, thanks for asking :). Last year I was at a store that sells oticon hearing aids and a saleswoman said she could try attaching a ric hearing aid receiver to my silicone mold. I didn’t try, gave up because hearing aids were very expensive.

maybe i can glue the dome i got with the receiver into the mold. He would wait for it to dry and then try to connect the receiver. Dome would rip out later, I just shouldn’t use too much glue

I don’t get it. I am supposing that you have a custom mold for BTE aids. Silicon domes can be fitted on both BTE Phonak Slimwires and RIC receivers. So I wouldn’t need to glue it.

Maybe you could specify exactly what you have to work with? Maybe even include a photo and a description? Does your BTE have a hook-tube-ear mold or a slim wire between the earpiece and the mold?

I’m a little late, but I’d like to inform you :slight_smile:

The receiver can be pushed all the way into the hole from the mold, and does not leak feedback. I thought the receiver would be too big, but it sits great, and it can be tucked into a BTE mold whole so it’s not visible at all. You can just see the wire sticking out of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes