RIC Fit

My old BTE hearing aids died and I just upgraded to a new set of RIC from Starkey. They’re the Xino i30w. I like them but think that my wires may be too short or domes too small, not sure. Essentially they keep falling out of my ear and I find myself constantly pushing the dome end back in. I have also experienced one of them falling completely off my head a few times. Any ideas on what I should be looking for to fix this?

You will notice the wire has a bend in it near the dome. The ideal fit is that when you push the dome in your ear, the bend sits right at the edge of your head, so the wire turns up and lays flat against your head. The body of the hearing aid should be just to the back side of your ear, not on top of your ear. If it looks like the bend is being straightened and pulling up out of your ear at an angle, the wire is too short. If the dome is pushed in completely and there is still a gap between the wire and your head, the wire is too long.

For domes, you might just have to try them all. Too large or too small may both pull out.

what did your provider think the problem was? whatever the problem… dump the domes and get custom molds ou will never look back.

Hi Don,
Nice description of a good fit. I’ve been curious if my fit is right. My wires comply to your description; thanks a lot.
Allen

Yep. I’ve got custom molds with my RICs, and they’re far superior to the domes, which I tried for a week.

How do molds compare to domes or tulips when admitting non-amplified room sounds?

Molds will give you a lot more power and clarity

I will also say get custom molds. They are way better than domes and once you try them you too will be a convert.

Well, I got the ear molds. Left hear hurts after a week. Fitter? Don’t think so. Had HAs 20 years ago. Several fitters back then had problems. They couldn’t get it right with the molds 20 years ago. Don’t think they have advanced much since then. Still a problem. My present left ear mold has problems. Really don’t have a solution. Like the HAs. Hate the mold fit in the left ear. Think it sits on the bone. Just unable to wear them. Wish there was some science out there that could solve the problem. I may have to return these HAs not because of the HAs but because of the fit in the left ear. Any great suggestions?

molds have advanced considerably…I know Siemens makes them somehow from 3d holographic images. have them redo the left one. what material are they. are they Starkey or from the local guy working out of his basement?

Mine were made by Costco so not sure who does their molds. They are soft rubber material so thought all would be OK. Problem I had 20 years ago were with the hard plastic. I agree, I am going to have them remake my left mold.

Westone made mine from Costco. They are the soft material. They fit deep and work out a little when I eat.

when you have a new mold made explain to them what the problem seems to be… the reason for the impression is so it fits your ear correctly. if the next one doesn’t fit have them make it again and ask for someone else to make the impression.

— Updated —

when you have a new mold made explain to them what the problem seems to be… the reason for the impression is so it fits your ear correctly. if the next one doesn’t fit have them make it again and ask for someone else to make the impression.