Review Article on Tinnitus

Interesting article that may refer to the tinnitus condition in general, independent of hearing loss. My wife, for example, has ~normal hearing but says that she has suffered tinnitus by itself all her life. The article reviews how sleep in tinnitus sufferers is different than for non-tinnitus sufferers. Have no idea how authoritative the work is.

Tinnitus Seems to Be Somehow Linked to a Crucial Bodily Function, Studies Hint (sciencealert.com)

3 Likes

I have had tinnitus since Thanksgiving 1975, I sleep with a white noise machine. I am either sleeping so hard that I wake up with a headache, or I wake up feeling like I worked all night. I take melatonin to just be able to fall asleep.

Relative to the article, I don’t know what’s going on in my wife’s brain when she’s asleep, but her tinnitus certainly doesn’t affect her ability to fall asleep. She’s basically catching zeds as soon as her head hits the pillow. I wish I could sleep like that! I have noticed that as I get older that I don’t feel as refreshed from the same amount of sleep as I did when younger. I think life is tougher on an old body, and it’s just that much harder to recover.

1 Like

In retrospect I can now say that I probably first noticed it back in 1973 while in the military in Southern CA. Was told it was probably just the sound of the power lines or cicadas. I just didn’t have a clue what tinnitus was since I had no hearing loss at that time. I also have a white noise machine but most nights I sleep like a baby.

Interesting article.

I have had tinnitus for many years. Also have had sleep issues for many years. Blamed the sleep issues on years of shift work in the petrochemical field but after 25 years of no shift work I still have sleep issues. Maybe the tinnitus has something to do with it?

Sleep apnea is always something to consider if one is having sleep issues. The relationship in the article between stress/depression and tinnitus can get rather circular. One can get stressed/depressed about the tinnitus and once one is stressed/depressed, one is a lot more likely to focus on the tinnitus.

1 Like