Retention Tails - Who uses them?

I’ve always used them. The only time they’ve been a bother was on a loan set when they were not sized right & hurt like hell. I am certain they have saved my expensive devices a number of times - sport or some other activity or even leaning over at a weird angle in one case from a watery or snow death where the HA itself has flipped over from behind my ear but not dropped out due to the receiver/retainer staying in place.

2 Likes

I use not only the tails but also a lanyard. Otherwise I would lose one or both hearing aids in a matter of days. Putting on and taking on hats, glasses, hoods, bike helmet, etc. I wish they made them with a lanyard built in - could put the batteries and some controls in the lanyard. I think the manufacturers don’t really make their products active people.

2 Likes

There are also users that find them difficult to put in and uncomfortable. :man_shrugging:t2: Depends on the person.

You can get loops for otoclips on customs. Usually otoclips just clip onto the receiver for RICs.

1 Like

Sorry but that came through garbled. Perhaps it was a translation problem.

What are “otoclips”?

What do you mean “on customs”?

And what are RICs?

1 Like

Otoclips are basically hearing aid lanyards. On custom built in-the-ear hearing aids you can have a loop installed and then the otoclip clips onto the loop and onto your shirt.

RIC stands for receiver-in-the-canal, which is the small behind the ear hearing aid that is the most common these days.

1 Like

Your observations are really important to me.

My first set of Phonaks I got athletic locks the second day I had them

I’ve had 3 sets of Phonaks in about 20 years of hearing aid use. The last pair I can’t use them. My hearing aids have a different receiver and different wax guards in the receiver. They interfere

My Hearing Aid sits between the top of my ear and skull where my eyeglasses sit, and the cords on my masks during Covid. Come on HA makers. You need to consider how we use your product.

My objections are that the HA company has changed waxguards introducing one that doesn’t work. I used the old ones in two sets of hearing aids with no trouble.

So the hearing aid is set for myprescription. There is a wire that goes to the receiver. The receiver produces altered sound which has been processed because of my hearing disability.

When I came here I didn’t know what a RIC hearing aid is. I didn’t know what the wire and receiver were. I didn’t know the terms used and what they all meant. In essence everyone talked in code and I had no idea what it meant.

I hope this explanation helps. Sorry it’s so long.