reSOUNDing proof I did the right thing in getting a Cochlear Implant

Hi folks!

Getting a cochlear implant is a big decision and, I can’t lie, I personally found the recovery challenging, though mercifully quick. My audiologist, as I have mentioned before, kept my expectations in check, which did make me slightly nervous about whether this procedure was going to be worth it. I have been activated for just about 3 weeks now, and I am very fortunate to be achieving amazing results so far. Whether it is due to not having been deaf for too long in that ear … who knows?

But, if I had any doubts at all about whether I made the right decision about the implant, they were well and truly dispelled yesterday. I and my husband have been virual recluses throughout covid and avoided social gatherings like … well … the plague. Yesterday was my first gathering in 18 months where I had to cope in the midst of several people talking at once - the event was 9 vaccinated family members having a farewell dinner for one of our clan who is moving across the country. I was sitting at the dining table in full conversation with the person next to me, all the while several other conversations and laughter were taking place. I had been mildly aware of the occasional beep in my processor and wondered what it was. Well I soon discovered that it was a warning beep that my rechargeable battery was low. In mid-flow of conversation, my right ear went silent while my hearing aid ear then seemed to turn everything into an unbearable din. Ah yes, pre-covid I had dreaded dinner parties and couldn’t escape them quick enough. Now I was right back there again. No wonder my nerves were shot and I was anti-social!!!

I cannot believe how quickly I have gotten used to clarity of sound from my implanted ear. It may be high pitched, but I can understand speech and make sense of it even when there are competing conversations nearby. It was a bit distressing to me when my processor went silent as I hadn’t thought to bring a back-up battery, but it really was a WOW moment for me to realize how effective my CI is.

(I have been getting about 16 hours or more from my medium rechargeable battery, but I remembered that I had gotten up at 6 am. Then, to kill time until the dinner party, I had been streaming an audiobook then music - probably much more than on a usual day. Lesson learned. Keep a spare battery on hand.)

All this to encourage those who are considering a recommended CI. If your ENT or audiologist think it will help you, go for it if you are able! Don’t delay.

12 Likes

I’m very happy to hear that you are going very well with you CI. It’s amazing technology that’s for sure.

When I was going through post assessment discussion with my surgeon, he said to me then he was going to do my good ear in preference to my bad ear. As I would get a better result because my good ear had only been profoundly deaf for approx 2.5 yrs. not 7 decades like my other ear. So you are correct in assuming why you have got a great response from the CI.

I don’t know about the AB, but with my N7 I can alter the pitch of by adjusting the master volume, bass and or treble, even altering sensitivity of the microphones helps a lot. I can do all this in my iPhone app. Good luck on the rest of your journey to better hearing.

2 Likes

Congratulations.
Curious, was the battery issue with your N7 or K2?
My K2 processors after a 15-16 hour day are consistently around 50%-53%.

Do you stream much, I find that can make a huge difference in how long they last. My original set of batteries won’t make a full day now if I stream. The set that came with my second implant are still good when I go to bed.

Of course with the N7 I don’t get as fine information on their status, just the 4 bars of full, somewhat used, really used, and if you don’t change these soon you will be deaf.

2 Likes

About a hour a day at most. Been pretty busy lately, no time for streaming things.
I get percentage readings with the N7 processors as well.
Which processors do you have? I thought N7’s.

This is a good bunch that have CI’s. Enjoy all the posts.

1 Like

I am running a pair of N7s. Our you running the app on an iPhone or Android phone?

I don’t see the bass or treble controls that deaf piper has either. Maybe I need to check and see if something hasn’t been turned on yet.

Android.

It could be your audiologist has not given you all the capabilities of the app.

Do you have sensitivity, bass, treble and forward focus?

I actually had an interesting time when my hearing aid died shortly after my first implant and I realized that the implant was doing all the real work and the aid was just helping with direction and making tones more “normal”.

Wait for the first time you find yourself in a situation where you can understand better then all the hearing people in the room.

2 Likes

I have sensitivity and forward focus, but not bass or treble. But I am on an iPhone, so that may be the difference.

Or it maybe that something isn’t turned on. One of the things I worry about is that I did so well from the get go that I may have missed things that could are it even better.

I try to remember or take notes with me when I go to the audiologist.
The forum is so helpful. Keeps the audiologist honest too.

You will get a master volume, bass & treble on your iPhone. But your CI AuD has to activate them for you. Those 3, were the last ones to be activated for me, and I didn’t get them until I ditched the EAS attachment. So if you have a EAS hybrid attachment you won’t get the 3 of them. Because the hybrid is for the high frequency, therefore they say you don’t need them.

I will have to ask next time I am in. My loss was basically flat so I was never a candidate for EAS. I have had volume control for I’m day one but don’t find it as useful as sensitivity. I am not sure if having bass pans treble would do anything for me but I like to play with things to find out.

Okay never mind, just went back to the Smart App video, apparently there is some stuff that isn’t turned on yet. Huh.

The added controls you might ask about are:
Master Volume and Sensitivity.
You have forward focus.

I think that’s it.

@susanmarylynn sorry to get off track. Just trying to help another CI member.

No problem! Helping each other is the point of this forum! Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Sheryl,

Hope you are doing well.

Sorry that I haven’t been updated my progress with the CI implant, I had my surgery on the 6th July 2021, all went well and activation was on the 23rd July, then 10th August and 24th August and a couple more mapping coming.
Dr. Simon Ellul at the EYE&EAR Melbourne did the surgery, no complications, he managed to save my residual hearing, no balance issue and the taste of my mouth was intact, so he did a very good job and all 22 electrodes was also on.
They give me the latest NucleusC1622 Implant.
Been doing lots of streaming Audio books, YouTube and Ted Talk and so on.
Yesterday Hearing Australia give the Resound Key which stream with the N7, and next Wednesday The Cochlear Centre will connect the N7 and the Resound Key.
I managed to stream both but they stream separately, still sounds good, but once they connect them together then it should be much better, I will be Bimodal then.
Even I only have mild to moderate hearing loss in my left ear it’s sounds much better with both ear together, the N7 and Resound Key.

2 Likes

Hi Riq that’s great to hear you are doing well. It’s painful having to have 2 AuD’s one for each ear. But once the CCC or CIC pair your Resound aid to your processor you will have great sound.

Are you a member of your local library? If not go and join. They have audio ebooks, which you can get on your phone and stream listening to a book. They are Borrow Box and Libby, as the libraries have gone all electronic you will need a new membership with a new number. I downloaded the apps and the librarian connected it all for me. Another app for you with podcasts is ABC Listen.

Good luck on your hearing journey.

Ok, I will join the local library and get these apps for Audio books and yes I have been listening to ABC Podcast.
Thanks Sheryl all the best.

2 Likes