Resound VERSO: Any users who can comment on quality?

Hello, I live in the Netherlands and was told that according to my insurance plan, the only HAs that are covered are RESOUND, and even with that, only older models, so they’ve ordered a pair of VERSOs (haven’t received them yet). I understand they’re “medium” quality, as well as outdated technology at this point, so I’m wondering if someone who actually wears them still in 2019 could please comment on their quality, reliability, sound, etc. I am picking them up on Saturday but would like to know people’s impressions and experiences.

Thank you!

This might be a place to start: If not a search on “ReSound Verso” may turn up other useful threads.

OK but that doesn’t answer my original question, I am looking for people who WEAR (or wore) them and can comment on the quality/experience. Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately that doesn’t give me too much info. I’m looking for individuals who have used and worn these for a while and can comment, particularly in light of the older technology. I fully realize that this is very old technology so maybe I won’t get the answers I’m looking for; I imagine most people have moved on since that time. And the fact that Costco would sell them makes me nervous. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks but once again, your reply is off-topic. I am looking for PEOPLE WHO HAVE WORN THESE HEARING AIDS and can comment on their effectiveness, quality, and value. Not interested in others or other brands or who bought what where. Just want feedback on the RESOUND VERSO. Sorry to sound so insistent, but I don’t want this to become an off-topic thread. Again, if you HAVE FEEDBACK ABOUT THE RESOUND VERSO FROM YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, please feel free to post! Thanks.

Again, if you look yourself, you will find that there are quite a few posts on the forum from people expressing their own personal experience in using ReSound Verso’s back in the day and how they compared to the successor generation of HA’s from ReSound, which according to the posts that I read were the ReSound LiNX 2D’s.

I am replying indirectly because I have the ReSound Quattro’s, at least 3 generations removed from the Verso’s and also just gently suggesting that there is a wealth of information already on the forum that addresses your question. Because of the time elapsed since the Verso’s came out, it’s unlikely that you will find many if any people currently wearing them and I don’t think anyone’s recollection about that experience is going to be any better than the contemporary posts at the time of the people who were wearing them and then switched to something newer or compared them to preceding HA’s or others they were trialing at the time.

According to what I skimmed through, the Verso’s don’t have Made For iPhone (MFI) and any connectivity to a phone would depend on an intermediary device that could also serve as a remote control. But a number of the posts were laudatory for the sound quality back in the day…

I’m afraid no matter what good things people have to say about the Verso’s, you are going to find that they are probably not quite as good as later generations but from what I’ve read they will be adequate in simple everyday situations. Newer hearing aids are better at dealing with more complex listening situations, suppressing noise, etc.

“…seek and ye shall find …” (but unfortunately for my point, the biblical quote is preceded by “ask and it shall be delivered!”)

Edit_Update: For example, in the following thread there is at least one VERY-DETAILED review of the Verso’s by a user (just picked one post to link but look up and down thread):

1 Like

I wore them from 2014 until late 2018 and they were good. Lots of adjustments possible and with the Bluetooth device (Phone Clip+) I took many a phone call and participated in many online meetings. You can adjust soft speech separately from medium or loud speech so you can get soft speech up where you can hear it without blowing out loud sounds.

It was effective against feedback, with some adjustments, and the overall sound quality is very good. It is a RIC style so you can get whatever power receiver you need.

The biggest thing it doesn’t have is frequency lowering.

I would be glad to answer questions or offer advice now or when you get started with them.

2 Likes

Costco sells the best, premium devices.

1 Like

More comments: The Bluetooth device, the Phone Clip+, is still the current Bluetooth device for Resound. With it you can stream from your laptop, tablet, or generic Bluetooth transmitter.

The Phone Clip+ will connect (not pair, connect) to two devices at once, which is something the current Signia/Rexton and Oticon devices can’t do. So you could be streaming music from a tablet and take a phone call from your cell phone. The streaming pauses until the call is finished.

There is also a tv transmitter that works well with no delay, so lips and sound match up. If you get a call the tv sound mutes while you are on the call. It transmits straight to the hearing aids. It does not go through the Phone Clip+.

I’m not sure if there is a remote mic that works with the Verso.

But having the iPhone and iPad and Mac I can take my calls from either device as long as they are all connected and my OPN1 hearing aids is connected to one of the devices. Of course the Mac requires the connect clip

Thanks for the info. Since these came out ± 7 years ago I imagine they’re really outdated technology. I also need tinnitus correction. I will try them since I have a 30-day trial period with no commitment.

In the end it may just not be worth it for “adequate” performance which the exact same word my audiologist used. I don’t particularly want to pay out of pocket for Phonak, etc but in the end my belief is “cheap is expensive”.

Thank you for the detailed informative answer.

A lot depends on your hearing loss and how complex your listening environments are.

You can add your audiogram and other information about your hearing loss such as your word recognition scores to your forum profile here: How to add your hearing test / audiogram to Hearing Tracker (click on my avatar or anyone else’s with a “T” besides their icon). That might help other forum members advise you on the suitability of particular HA models to your actual hearing loss.

If you click on my avatar, you can see that my hearing loss is pretty moderate, age-related ski slope high frequency loss. My listening environments are usually pretty simple and I hear and understand most people except for (usually) women with soft, high-pitched voices pretty well without my HA’s. So “adequate” would probably be fine for me except I didn’t want to risk short-changing myself in rare difficult listening situations. But trying the Verso’s sounds like a great idea to judge how difficult your listening environments are and if the Verso’s are not quite good enough, you can learn what parameters you need improvement in, especially if you’ve never worn HA’s before.

Too bad if your insurance plan does not allow coverage to be carried forward to newer models if you are willing to pay something out of pocket yourself.

1 Like

Also, what type of domes or molds you get fitted with can make a difference in the perceived performance of HA’s. With my decent low-frequency hearing, the cookbook fitting formula that most HA manufacturers follow is to emphasize user “comfort” - so typically a person like me is fitted with open domes. This allows all sound entering the ear to leak by the HA receivers in the ear, the listener hears low frequency sounds naturally, the HA’s, by picking up sounds through the external microphones on the bodies behind the ear, provide the high frequency sounds through the selective frequency amplification profile. You don’t have occlusion of your ear canals and most of the time the listening experience is “comfortable.”

The problem is that you get into a noisy situation. Now voices and noise from all directions can leak into your ears directly to your ear drums and the noise reduction or directionality functions that a sophisticated hearing aid can perform don’t work so well because no matter what sounds they select out of your environment to selectively deliver to your ear, you may still be hearing other competing stuff going directly to your ear drums. So I’ve deliberately chosen to wear occlusive molds to give my HA’s the maximum opportunity to do their stuff and I’ve found it’s pretty easy for me to adjust to the changed sound of my own voice with an occlusive fit (the “fingers-in-the-ears” problem). Custom molds or regular occlusive domes (“power” domes), if they fit the shape of your ear canal, can offer improved hearing in noisy, difficult environments. If you have serious low-frequency loss, you may have to be fit with occlusive molds or domes, anyway, as you won’t be able to hear low-frequency sounds going directly to your ear drum very well, anyway, and you’ll need to trap the low-frequency sound amplified by your HA’s to match your hearing loss within your ears (low-frequency tends to escape out of your ears much more than high frequency).

The amount of amplification you start out with, what type of user experience profile, and what type of fitting algorithm your HA’s are programmed to employ can also make a difference in how the HA’s perform for you. I asked my audiologist to start me out at the full amplification prescribed for my fit, not to gradually increase amplification over time to gradually adjust. I got switched from “First-Time User” to “Experienced (Nonlinear)” and I also decided to switch from ReSound’s fitting algorithm to the generic open-source NAL-NL2 algorithm designed by the Australian National Acoustic Laboratory. In the more modern version of ReSound’s fitting software (Smart Fit), these are all options available to your audiologist. The Verso’s would probably use the earlier Aventa fitting software and I don’t know if the same options are available there. But it’s possible that some of these alternatives, if applicable to the Verso, would increase your listening ability and enjoyment if you have an audiologist willing to let you experiment with different listening programming. Don, for example, likes the generic open-source DSL5 fitting algorithm, another possibility to try.

Thanks for the response. It is helpful.

Thanks, Jim. That is great info.

Jim-

Could you elaborate on this a bit? How do they differ and when might one be better than the other?

Sierra had a recent post that graphically illustrates the differences in fitting algorithms on a different HA brand. Basically in my quick evaluation, NAL-NL2 provides more amplification for soft frequencies through the high frequency range (useful for understanding soft, high-pitched speech) but actually is a little bit less loud sound high frequency amplification than Resound’s proprietary Audiogram+ based on the Australian National Acoustic Laboratory’s original NAL algorithm (thus, loud noises are not as annoying). But like Audiogram+, as one goes to higher and higher frequencies, NAL-NL2 backs off on relative amplification at all sound levels whereas DSL5 stays up there and has relatively more high frequency amplification than the other fitting algorithms. Don likes it and finds it helpful. I thought DSL5 might have given me the clearest speech but there was a bit too much high frequency loudness for me and I didn’t give myself time to accommodate. If I can find a post for ReSound, I’ll add it after the link to Sierra’s post.

And here’s a link illustrating the differences in my prescribed fit when Audiogram+ or NAL-NL2 or DSL5 - Adult fitting algorithms are used with my hearing loss (scroll down to see graphics).