ReSound Preza charger extra?

I just got my Prezas last week at my nearby Costco. It was generally a positive experience. The fitting for them was a couple of weeks previous. At that appointment the person filling the order asked if I wanted the charging case for an additional $200. Knowing nothing about any of this I said sure, why not. Now after living with these aids for five days I am forced to wonder did I get ripped off? For one thing, I can see no other way to charge them nor was it explained to me how that might work sans charging case. Not only that, but there was nothing otherwise provided for transporting them when not in use. Secondly, everything I’ve see, in the User Guide and online, appears to present the charging case’s inclusion as a foregone conclusion. I can find no mention of it being an after-purchase accessory. What say you? Did I get scammed on the charger?

0 Likes

It’s a way to allow them to sell additional chargers, and present the per aid price at a lower price point. I was surprised too that a charger wasn’t included, but ultimately it didn’t matter. I ended up buying an extra to keep at the office, but so far haven’t needed to use it.

0 Likes

I can see how you could feel misled. The Preza base price is for the disposable battery version (size 312 or 13). If you go with the rechargeable version, then you also need the $200 charger.

0 Likes

The Preza isn’t offered in a 312 battery size. Just rechargeable or 13, but you make a good point on pricing.

0 Likes

Wow. Alrighty then. But just out of curiosity, is it ever addressed how one is supposed to charge these things without the charging case? I’ve seen/heard nothing addressing that.

thx for the replies. I’m going back this week for a check-up and now can forego the confrontation I was anticipating.

0 Likes

There is also the following thread, which discusses whether providers charge extra or not and perhaps why?, for the equivalent charger for the ReSound Quattro’s sold through independent HA providers. There are a variety of reasons for including/not including the charger in the price of the HA’s.

I like my own previous comment in that thread. You can’t run disposable battery-powered HA’s without the disposable batteries. And just as for the Li-ion battery-powered HA’s, those batteries, if included in the sales price, are only included in a limited number. It’s unusual to get a 3-year supply of disposable batteries included in the price of your HA’s but who’s complaining about having to pay extra for disposable batteries, which you can’t run your HA’s without?! And after a while, people may already have a charger that works just fine and why be forced to buy another if you’re buying ReSound’s again, for instance, and you already got the charger with your previous set of HA’s (presumably, up to a point, one might keep using the charger plugged into AC even after the Li-ion batteries in it aren’t very good).

Don’t know if the European Union is still enforcing it but at one point, the EU had a very forward looking law that forbid phone manufacturers to bundle phone chargers in the phone purchase because most previous chargers from previous phones would work, if need be with an adapter, etc., and the idea was to cut down on mindless landfill by providing a new charger with every single device. Just as Qi wireless charging offers the hope of a universal standard for phones, it would be good if HA manufacturers could converge on a standard and wireless chargers could be made to last, not be just another piece of junk to trash every few years …

0 Likes

The accessory IS the charger AND the rechargeable batteries. I went without and use the 13 batteries, no charger therefor required. I do a lot of streaming from a Plantronics Bluetooth adapter to the PhoneClip which I use all day on my tech support job. I still have a case to carry them in, although I have no idea what for … I wear them from early AM until late PM. That is what I bought them for, to use at work, at home, and driving in between.

1 Like

I’m just confused as to why they asked me if I wanted to buy the charger/case as if it were optional. They knew full well these were my first and would not have a charger already. There was no mention of any alternative charging option and from what I can see, there is none.

0 Likes

If you want to rib them a little about the “optional” accessory, tell them about my experience. Bought a pair of new Marvel 30Rs for about $700 US. The price included two chargers. :blush:

1 Like

I think that you misunderstood the question. The real question they would have asked is if you want the rechargeable batteries with the charger, or if you want to go with regular batteries. I went with regular batteries. I just changed my batteries for the first time today after using them all day every day since I got them a week ago Friday. And I do a lot of streaming from my office desk phone. The rechargeable are said to be good for 30 hours, so you would charge them every night.

0 Likes

Well, no, I’m afraid you’re the one misunderstanding. I was buying the rechargeable HA. The decision to get those was made early-on in the process. Batteries were never a consideration. And again, no other option was mentioned for recharging them other than the unit I was buying extra.

0 Likes

WOW!! Why would they sell you the rechargeables up front and not mention the charger you need to charge them? I’d be looking for another HIS or Audi for leaving out that absolutely necessary detail. Or did they mention the charging unit and you misheard them? My guy said take your choice, rechargeables with additional recharger or regular batteries. I myself chose batteries as I use mine all day at work and need the fast recharge of throwing new batteries in. Being on the phone doing tech support, I can’t put myself on hold for an extended period waiting for the recharge process.

0 Likes

That’s what I’ve been saying! Why?

0 Likes

My deal with the audiologist was for Oticon OPN 1. I could either get the rechargeable one or the battery one where they would supply the batteries for 3 years. Same price for both.

1 Like

A point for separate prices for the HA and the charger is sales tax. When I bought Resound Preza in Tucson, AZ, there was no sales tax on the HA, but there was on the charger. The tax ran a bit over $17. I was thankful not to have to pay at that rate on the cost of the HA.

0 Likes

Happy for you that you avoided the sales tax. However I’m still in the dark as to why they asked if I wanted a charger as tho it were option, tho no alternative was provided.

0 Likes