ReSound Omnias with M&RIE Receivers

Yeah I’d take that with a pinch of salt please, that’s just hype/blurb from the marketing department working overtime, for those that have used the M&RIE and use the one’s I can say more “nonsense”

The number of test subjects by itself doesn’t mean anything. The amount of scatter (variation, error) in the test group and the control group determines how many test subjects you need to draw a valid conclusion. And the distance between the mean of each group vs. the scatter within each group in outcome.

In the extreme, you could have five subjects in each group (let’s say mice to be nice). You give the drug to five mice. They all die. You give a placebo to five other mice. They all live. There’s a high probability that the drug is highly toxic to mice. You probably don’t need 150 mice in each group to prove that. If, instead, two die in the drug group and one dies in the control group, now you’re in a situation where you need more numbers.

If ReSound has good statisticians, they made the group large enough to get statistically valid results and there should be p value somewhere in their whitepaper. If the p-value were 0.05, that means one time out of 20, the observed results could be due to random fluctuation. If the p-value were 0.01, only one time in 100 could random fluctuation explain the results.

But you don’t just pick a number like 150 and say, “I don’t think that was large enough.” That’s not statistics. It’s just a gut feeling.

I love the M&RIE installed on my Jabras! I added them a few weeks ago!

2 Likes

You’ve tried both! Can you say anything about the difference?

I’m afraid I can’t offer much specific response :frowning: I don’t have a live-in partner, someone I talk with all the time. My experience is just being out and about on errands and 3-daily-miles-of-urban-walking-exercise, talking with neighbors, shop keepers, and friends. And a bit of streaming. From that–I’d say I generally hear better and more clearly than before I had the 3rd mic installed. Notably, I now can hear my laptop (Macbook) audio very clearly, as I could not do before w/o some kind of boost. I use the Outdoor setting successfully at the waterfront (some wind) when walking with my son–formerly, I relied on an external mic.

5 Likes

AND last evening I chose to watch a ‘tv episode’ on my iPad instead of the tv. The streaming audio to my ears didn’t want to work/connect on both sides, so I switched to ‘normal’ thru-the-air audio and heard very well using my M&RIE/HAs. This on my Jabra EP20s.

3 Likes

Is really Bluetooth LE & auracast available for Costco Jabra 20 offering?
Because of this Resound Nexia new feature probably many will get their next HA from Costco for less than ReSound Nexia itself.

In this regard, my 2nd audiologist I went to for fitting M&RIE receivers had the audacity to offer me an upgrade from my current ReSound Omnia 9 (previous top model) to Nexia for above $7K. This audiologist business driven by excessive profits on expense of the senior pocket need to be regulated as well. It’s a shame that these hearing aids businesses are using the unexplainable lack of Medicare coverage to push their profits above the limits.

I can attached to demo how well M&RIE receivers works with Resound Omnia 9 deeper in my canals. However please provide with step-by-step instruction how I can attach a photo?

Microsoft Copilot quote as to why Medicare does not cover hearing aids:

The reason behind this is primarily related to the expense associated with hearing aid coverage. Some hearing aid plans can cost thousands of dollars, and including them in Medicare coverage might result in higher rates for all Medicare recipients123.

Microsoft Copilot link to the whole answer: Microsoft Copilot: Your everyday AI companion - despite the dumb conversion by the Discourse software, it’s a link to a specific query

Microsoft Copilot explanation of why Medicare does not cover dental care: Microsoft Copilot: Your everyday AI companion, again, the link has a specific, detailed explanation.

When you’re writing a post, click the upload button indicated by the red arrow in the attached screen capture. The upload process should be pretty self-obvious, especially if you’re using a computer as opposed to a smartphone.

I’ll add that the new M&RIE (3rd mic) now added to my Jabra Enhance 20s allows me to hear (in my car) the dashboard “warning chirps” that my lights are still on or my keys are in the ignition (I drive an older car!–this stuff is not automatic). I like being able to hear all the necessary sounds. And it improves safety!! For years I have not heard these important signals.

1 Like

Sorry, I do not see this attach menu option? I’m using apple iPad Air and the upper menu options did not include this attachment option? Provide please w/ instructions how to do that using iOS operation system, thanks

The upload icon should be right in front of your eyes on iOS. Here’s a screen capture from my iPhone. Look in the lower right below the dialog entry box (rectangle).

You can also just copy and paste a photo or an image from wherever you have it stored on your iPhone into the HearingTracker dialog box directly.

1. When viewing a photo or image on the iPhone, swipe down slightly.
  2. Tap the Share icon in the lower left.
  3. Tap the “Copy Photo” button.
  4. Switch to your browser window with your in-progress reply window open.
  5. Paste the image into the dialog box.

The same Copy/Paste works on a PC, too, and presumably would on a Mac or iPad as well.

1 Like

Hello. Please tell me, did you set up the Resound Jabra P20 through the standard Resound Smart Fit application?

Am sorry I can’t answer this; I had my mic installed and the Jabra Enhance Pro 20 HAs set up at Costco by the professional HA technician.

Advanced M$RIE receiver works with its all benefits only for hearing loss audiogram without very steep slop toward severe loss. Second, one can get all the benefits if he/she has enough large open ear canal since M&RIE is more bulky than the standard receivers to be comfortably insert further inside.

In this blog there is attached one photo of M&RIE receiver insert not well in the canal, sticking out enough which shows rather not good fit. Unfortunately I was unable to attached my M&RIE photo which shows a good fit of this receivers as demo.

Third M&RIE receivers are not described really well in detail in order the users to understand how in different environments to get a max positive effect. Find below Resound trainer input about these advanced receivers and turning on their program what can give you in more details:

The M&RIE receivers work in different ways in the programs he has. They are active in program 1 and 3, with program 3 being exclusively M&RIE – while program 1 will use all the microphones on the hearing aid when appropriate.

In program 1 (All-Around) the hearing aid microphones go through these directional patterns depending on the listening environment. More complexity in the environment means a higher likelihood of using the directional modes. For your case, OMNI also means M&RIE mic. For the middle states, where one is M&RIE and one is top-mic directional, several things contribute to the hearing aid’s decision of which ear plays which role. In general, the better ear tends to be the directional ear (left in your case). But if the sound environment is very different left versus right – that also contributes to which ear goes directional. For instance if all the noise was on the left and the person of interest on the right, likely Right would go directional.

image.png

Changing the volume of the hearing aid does not change the directional mode, most likely the left ear switching to directional when watching a TV program has to do with the complexity of speech and noise / sound effects/ etc.

Program 2 (hear in noise) is a narrow directional program – using the top microphone to create a narrow beam. “who you are looking at is who you want to hear”. M&RIE is not a part of this program.

New Program 3 (outdoor) will never switch to the top microphones. This is a program that ONLY uses the M&RIE mic down in the ear canal. It is called outdoors because outdoor environments are typically the use case where we don’t want the hearing aids to go directional without the patient’s consent/choice. The benefits are natural wind noise reduction and localization – pinna effect. Recommendation is that this program can be used at home when watching the TV if you don’t like when your left device switches which microphone is dominant. This program is not recommended as a replacement to all day use, as it does not handle complex environments as intelligently as program

I
Check I provided today with very detailed M&RIE tech description and setting from Resound trainer. It was very helpful to know that the audiologist office can remotely send a M&RIE setting in order to turn on this advanced receiver and take advantage of it especially in more wind noisy outdoor environment I use when biking.

Are m&rie aids good/better for musicians than ric aids? You can look at my audiogram to see if they might be appropriate. I’m completely satisfied with my BAHA for everyday living. I’m curious as to whether m&ric would be better for live music and for playing my classical guitar. My Osia baha is not good at all for playing music. Great at everything else!

I don’t know about the music part, but M&RIE receivers are standard RIC hearing aids with two microphones on each body and an ADDITIONAL third microphone on the outside of the receiver. The outside end is ideally placed just at the ear canal opening, where the pinna of the ear would normally focus environmental sounds.

Yep. It’s that additional microphone that has me intrigued. And wondering.

Musicians are a very small sub-set of HA users. As such, there may not be as many studies done around their concerns.
p.s. I’ve long heard the widex are excellent for musicians, perhaps because they are ‘simpler’ in their design–that is, don’t add a lot features for everyday wearing. This sounds like what I want! Maybe an older mdel…the Sheer or the Dream?

I can TOTALLY relate. My take? The wires simply CAN. NOT. BE. RESHAPED. I don’t care what kind of old wives tale is out there, I’ve tried everything: heating with a hair dryer, bending around other objects, curling them like a ribbon. Nothing changes the shape of the pre-curved ear wire. They are some kind of “memory wire” which I’ve also used in making jewelry.

I still have a shot of Trader Gary’s picture perfect ear wires that I’ve shown to a couple audis. The closest “fit” I have come by is mere length. My previous audi fitted me with LONG wires, perhaps thinking I’d be able to push the speakers deeper into my ear for better seal? But just like anything and everything ever put into my ears (custom molds made of hard plastic, acrylic, firm silicone or the current double-domes of flexible silicone) the speakers work their way out of my ear canal with normal articulation of talking, chewing, facial expressions, etc. Those long ear wires poked out of my ears like a weird coat hanger. I was always catching them on combs or fingers or something. I even tried turning the aids completely 360 degrees to take up the excess wire, then shoving them into my ears. The minute I let go, they just WHIRLED like a crazy top and flew right out of my ears!

Finally, my current audi swapped the L with a shorter ear wire (not sure if they come in L, M and S?). These wires fit the curve of my ear pretty good (not perfect), but of course the speakers work their way out of my ears all day long, so I just press them right back in.

Try a different length of ear wire - that’s pretty much all you can do. The technology simply isn’t there yet for laser-imaged ear shape to enable “custom” wire lengths. We can get custom ear molds but not custom wire length to fit the shape of our face and ear.

1 Like