Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity

I think it’s important to keep in mind that Jordan’s previous HA’s were the Quattros, and since all three of us (Ureout, Jordan, and me) have been Quattro users in the past and have at least trialed the Lumitys, I hope we’d all agree they are a big step up from the Quattros. And I can really understand Jordan’s enthusiasm. If they had a bit longer daily runtime, I might have chosen the Lumitys over the Omnias. But I didn’t want “planned obsolescence” of a rechargeable battery after I’m out of my warranty period, which I experienced with my rechargeable Quattros. My audi actually asked which HA I thought was intrinsically better, and I told her the Lumity (and she seemed surprised, although she told me she fits most of her patients with either Phonak or ReSound HA’s, while she carries 5 brands!). But I didn’t think the Omnia/Lumity difference was anywhere near as distinct as Jordan finds it, and I wanted all the other stuff you get with a MFi HA plus the longer runtime with a size 13 battery and the much better Smart 3D app. The myPhonak app has considereable power, maybe even more than the Smart 3D app. It’s just much slower and clunkier by comparison. And I can’t control or adjust my HA’s from my Apple Watch like I can with the Omnias. Maybe Jordan’s streaming usage has changed since he first got his Lumitys and that’s affected how often he needs to recharge during the week?

1 Like

Hey @Ureout

Not sure I deserved your salty comment. I’ve spent quite a bit of time helping other people on this forum by posting my own very detailed personal observations. I think it’s a given that everything EVERYONE posts here are their own personal observations and experiences. I don’t think anyone is confused by that and most people know that what works for one person’s hearing loss and lifestyle might not work for another person. That’s why everyone should find a good audiologist who can help them test many different hearing aids and then figure out what works best for them.

I will say that I’m sorta sick and tired of the way a few people here manage to ruin every useful discussion thread by diverting the topic into an argument about the evils of rechargeable batteries. If you don’t like rechargeable hearing aids and they don’t fit in with your own lifestyle…don’t buy them. There are lots of other options.

Just to clarify on my own personal observations about the battery life of Lumity…

I’m a busy executive in the IT industry. I get up at 7 am and put on my hearing aids and rarely take them out until midnight when I go to sleep (17 hours). I typically stream 4 hours a day during the business week and quite a bit less on the weekends. I stream to my iPhone, my work laptop (using Microsoft Teams and Zoom), my Peloton exercise bike and my TV via the Phonak TV Connector. On heavy streaming days (usually 2-3 times a week), the batteries just barely last until the end of the day so I typically drop them into the charger for 20 minutes when I shower after a workout. On low streaming days, my Lumity hearing aids are at about 20% when I finally take them out of my ears at midnight.

The ideal setup would be a battery that gave the Lumity hearing aids the same run time as Omnia. Omnia is able to last 30 hours because it utilizes Apple’s MFi protocol which consumes less power than Bluetooth Classic. That being said, the Lumity hearing aids work so much better for me than any other hearing aids that I have tried that the slight inconvenience of having to top up the charge for 20-30 minutes a few times a week is inconsequential. I buy hearing aids to hear better and Lumity gives me a huge lift with speech comprehension. That’s really the only thing that is important to me and many other hearing aid users.

Make sense?

Jordan

12 Likes

I think since battery technology is an important feature difference between Lumity and Omnias and the thread was started as Omnia vs. Lumity features, it’s pretty hard to escape battery runtime, long-term battery lifetime, etc., as a differentiator and say that the only thing that matters is sound quality. I agree with you that posts should avoid talking down other posters, although, unfortunately, that sort of thing happens in a number of threads on this forum from time to time. Thanks for all the great information you’ve provided about the Lumity. I found it very helpful.

5 Likes

Thanks! I knew you’d chosen the Omnias but wasn’t positive why. I was thinking it was battery related, but wasn’t sure. Thanks for reading my mind. :smile:

1 Like

Btw, about batteries (sorry, Jordan :sweat_smile:): I realized that my Lumities use more battery in loud environments (when the Speech in Loud Noise mode activates) than if I stream over Bluetooth. Yesterday, spending 5 hours in a very noisy pub sucked up 40% of the charge.

I agree that rechargeable batteries are a great disadvantage with the Lumity but I love them anyway as my priority is speech understanding in any situation. And they charge up very quickly, as a 15 minutes charge can give you back 20% of juice.
So I’m not so worried about battery ageing, because getting the habit of charging them 20 minutes would give them enough power to last for the rest of the day when they’ll be very old.

There is an excellent proverb for this situation:“it is a small flock that has not a black sheep.”

I have been following this forum for some time and every day I read everyone’s posts and learn new things. At the same time, through the comments, I’m starting to get to know the people who write here. I notice, as in real life, there are good people and less good people. I want to thank you for your fairly objective comments. :clap::clap::clap:

Don’t care about mean people.

7 Likes

On this occasion, considering that no one has the courage to say STOP, I dare to write to some (especially one) who only know how to write offtopic, hate the Phonak brand and worse, launch unfounded accusations against those who wear Phonak or who express their opinions objectively. I’m sick of them. Is there really no moderator to warn them? Every day one is looking for attention and followers for his brand. In almost every topic, he praises his brand (even if it has some flaws) and for him the other brands are nothing. Unbelievable! Because of people like him, this wonderful forum can lose many users. Sorry for this off topic message but someone had to write this. I have been patient too much!

7 Likes

The solution is to mute whoever you don’t want to hear from. Click on your avatar in upper right corner. Then the little person icon, then Preferences, then move to far left screen and click on Users. Mute whoever you want. Modrators have taken a pretty hands off approach so this is the best option.

4 Likes

I put one poster on ignore and selected a timeframe of forever. It’s so nice not to see those posts that litter just about every thread.

4 Likes

Thank you for speaking your mind. Spoken very well. I feel the same way. It’s ashamed this member derails and tarnishes this fine forum. So many come here for unbiased information about hearing aids and hearing loss.

I too wonder how moderation allows it to continue.

As mentioned the ignore function is available but that’s not the right answer for those looking for a forum to learn from. The new members just don’t know the difference.

Thanks again for sharing.

7 Likes

I went one step further after putting that poster on ignore and sent a message to @AbramBaileyAuD asking him to look into this and get that poster to stop with the off topic posts, posts demeaning Phonak wearers, etc.

The educational value of the forum and helpfulness for new posters is severely diminished by the silliness. I suggest others who feel the same also message @AbramBaileyAuD.

4 Likes

I’ve received some PM’s and messaged Jim, so we let me know if things get better. No need to take this thread any further off course, thanks!

8 Likes

Resound omnia 30 hour definitely doesn’t last all day, it actually last only like 18-20 hours before i hear the battery chimes if i am streaming for 8 hours but it is time to make my bed and go to bed. but hey it reminds me to go to bed lol :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

and you get through a thread so much more quickly.

2 Likes

There’s more than one Jim in the forum and in this instance, the “Jim” wasn’t me, but I certainly am the “Jim” who’s posted the most in this thread!

I think one thing going on in the forum besides individual styles of writing and personalities, etc., is there are hearing aid “camps.” Folks spend a lot of money on a particular hearing aid and can get very emotionally (and financially!) attached to the particular brand and model they selected. So whatever brand and model, if someone feels someone else is slighting “their brand,” they sometimes get stirred up, as evidenced by someone just a bit higher up in the thread feeling that Phonak is being out-and-out attacked on the forum: Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity - #498 by Corpore, whereas actually the discussion just above that on “writing style” had to do with one poster rudely questioning the consistency of another poster’s accounts and seemed unrelated to any particular hearing aid per se.

Perhaps the best thing to do in discussions is to avoid ad hominem (and ad feminem?) attacks on other posters, and also, when extolling the brand of hearing aid you love, avoid emphatically putting down other brands in comparison because some people may construe such writing as an ad hominem attack on “their brand,” as evidenced by the link I provided in the just previous paragraph about how Phonak is being attacked on the forum.

8 Likes

jordan, we have all spent time here on this forum trying to help others and ourselves with all the different HA product lines… you can go back and read my many posts … I have never posted a “salty” comment before and it wouldn’t have happened this time if you did not dismiss mine and many other posters opinions on lumity battery life (even the rechargeable batteries haven’t been as big of an issue* *as some on this discussion forum have made them out to be.) maybe the battery life isn’t an issue to you but to me it was … my lifestyle is entirely different than yours… I don’t always agree with other posters but I respect their opinions and have never been dismissive of them

4 Likes

Ir is that simple, the issue with BT classic is known to the industry insiders and outsiders for many years now. Simply put, high power consumption and nobody is forcing you to get phonak, you have a trial period of 45 days. As more companies adopt LE audio, I guarantee you hearable companies will start making battery life a buzz word in their marketing. Sonova have no desire to improve the battery life and why should they because they are the only one that currently does Made for All. This is a a problem of a lack of companies not competing with sonova. LE Audio is coming and it will destroy the monopoly that sonova has rn…

4 Likes

I do agree with you on this statement but the hands free phone calls has been a great feature from Phonak. This along with other technology has helped Phonak do well.

I sure hope Bluetooth LE Audio will open the door for more HA manufacturers to have this true hands free phone calls.

6 Likes

AND Phonak is one of the few (if not the only one) that has made hands free for Galaxy/Android available. It is the 2nd most important thing about them, in my humble opinion!
Dan

4 Likes

YES! I admit to being absolutely unwilling to go back to aids that don’t have this. Right now I have KS9s. When they give up the ghost, if there’s still nothing like them at Costco, I’ll beg, borrow, and steal to get brand name Phonak. I love the 9s anyway because they’re so light and really do have me hearing pretty well. But the descriptions of the Lumity aids have me envious.

4 Likes