Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity

@Sequoia_Woman Yes. They are skeleton molds. They fit very snugly, but for me, comfortably. Because of the perfect fit, the amplified sound cannot leak out like it did with the domes.

I don’t know if my audi requested the skeleton version, or if Phonak chose to make the skeleton mold based on my hearing loss. Perhaps Phonak chooses the skeleton molds for the Life waterproof version so that they won’t float out of the users ear should they choose to swim with them in (something I’m not planning on doing).

I can understand, however, that without a perfect fit they might be uncomfortable. I don’t know if it was luck or expertise that resulted in a perfect fit, but I have zero sound leakage now.

2 Likes

I wonder why, it could be your ear cannot lock the ear mold in place? I have the Encased micromold with a pull out string for my resound omnia rechargeable Here is a picture of mine with the Nucleus 8 sound processor

Yes the sound processor is that small :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the picture. I have a cardboard cutout of the Nucleus 7 that came with an information kit from my audiologist. It was a bit depressing to be honest.

Are you saying this because it wasn’t the latest and greatest sound processor model?

1 Like

The thought occurred to me later that my post sounded disrespectful to those of you who already have implants. I apologise. As a prospective implantee I’m dealing with various anxieties and concerns: losing residual hearing, losing enjoyment of music, the possibility that it might not work for me, and- yes- the hardware attached to and hanging off my head. So, yes, the smaller size of the Nucleus 8 seems like a positive amidst the worries. If the Nucleus 7 is what’s offered to me, then that wouldn’t stop me. If the Nucleus 8 provides a better hearing experience and that’s what I’m offered, then even better.

6 Likes

@AbramBaileyAuD. On the Omnia vs. the Lumity, with the Hear Advisor ratings, I’m paying more attention to Hearing Tracker reviews. Overall, I’d say the evaluations are very fair and balanced. And I noticed the reviews in listing features have a built-in disclaimer that some listings of hardware and features may be incomplete or inaccurate, so a reader should check the full specifications listing by the manufacturer.

Since I was interested in the Omnia vs. the Lumity, I found the Lumity/Omnia Hearing Tracker review helpful, but I noticed a few modest errors about the Omnia/Lumity comparison that probably should be corrected.

First, in the hardware department as to buttons on the HA body, the comparator notes that the Push Buttons on both HA models can be used to control volume and program selection. But then there is a separate Volume Control listing further down the page that shows only the Lumity has a volume control, none is listed for the Omnia. What is meant is that the Lumity also has a rocker function (which is really is also used as a “push button”) whereas the Omnia only has a push button - but does the Omnia really have no volume control? Weird categorization…

Under Downloads, a User Guide and Datasheet are listed as being available for the Lumity, none for the Omnia. That’s just plain laziness in completing the Omnia listing as both are also available for that device, too.

Under Audio Stream Mixer, again a listing for the Lumity and none for the Omnia. Carelessness again as the Omnia actually can mix in the streaming audio into any environment program and the left and right external mics as well as the left and right streams can each be separately adjusted for volume as well as adjusting the overall balance of bass, midtones, treble, noise reduction, and wind reduction for the mixed-in stream whereas none of this adjustment is easily available to the user in the Lumity Audio Stream Mixer. So, this categorization summary is a really EGREGIOUS lapse.

Same for Automatic Acclimatization and Automatic Phone Program. The Omnia has both these features, but nothing is listed for either category. (For the ReSound Phone Now program you do have to tape a magnet to the receiver of any phone for which you want the phone program to be active if the receiver does not have a sufficient telecoil function to induce an HA response). Actually, further down the page, there’s another category entitled New User Adaption where an entry is provided for the Omnia but none for the Lumity. Seems like the same category as the Automatic Acclimatization further up in the Lumity/Omnia comparison. The two categories ought to be fused and show no difference in gradually accommodating new users.

On Ear Simulation, none is listed for the Omnia whereas the Lumity is described as compensating for the pinna effect of natural hearing. This categorization totally omits the potential benefits of M&RIE receivers, which provide better localization than an artificial HA pinna compensation.

Under Expansion, nothing is listed for the Lumity. In Target, under Program Options, Soft Noise Reduction is listed as one of the options. So, lack of an Expansion listing for the Lumity seems to be another error.

Under Occlusion Reduction (sound of your own voice), there is an entry for the Lumity but none for the Omnia. Believe that’s an omission, too, but I’ll have to look it up in Smart Fit and add the name of the Smart Fit version by editing this post.

• Well, I can’t find “own voice” adjustment in Smart Fit 1.15

• OTH, in Rasmus Braun’s posting of the initial ReSound Omnia announcement, compensation for one’s own voice is a prominently announced feature:

Introducing enhanced ‘own voice’ perception, ReSound OMNIA hearing aids sound natural, feel natural and connect people to the world naturally GN Hearing launches ReSound OMNIA

Similarly for Spatial Noise Cancellation, an entry for Lumity, none for the Omnia. But in the 360 All-Around mode on the Omnia, the HA that detects better speech is favored and shares the audio with better speech with the other HA. The HA that’s detecting more noise processes that out of input as much as possible, AFAIK, so that’s effectively dynamic spatial noise cancellation, since as the source of speech and noise shifts, each HA will switch its functionality to concentrate on obtaining the best speech signal, the minimal noise input.

Under Smartphone App, there is no listing for the Lumity but there is for Omnia?! How can one overlook the myPhonak app?

Under Telecoil, the Multi Mic is listed as an accessory for the Omnia but since I’m comparing the Omnia to the L90 R, not the L90 RT, there is no Lumity telecoil reference. Since the Multi Mic is an additional accessory purchase, I would think one might want to at least have a cross-reference to the L90 RT line of Lumitys to let the reader know there’s a way to have telecoil functionality with the Lumity, too.

3 Likes

Cochlear already discontinued the N7 for all but N22 implant
SCAN 2 is a huge improvement in noise from my experience, it vastly improve noise scenario i was having problem with N7. Speech in quiet is the same because it is excellent with n7 and i don’t see any improvement compared to N8…

1 Like

Don’t worry, you will enjoy music in ways the hearing aid could not provide… in my case the high frequency is missing from my hearing aid side. it made me hate hearing music through my hearing aid as it sounded like i was listening through a wall or a broken tweeter. I would take my implant over the hearing aid any day for music enjoyment but i am bimodal so why not use both…

2 Likes

Encouraging. Thanks. I gave up listening to music with my aids long ago. Airpod Pro 2 is what I use now. I can hear the cymbals at least. Well, I can hear that they’re there anyway. I miss that communal experience of listening to music with other people. Getting off-topic I guess.

3 Likes

I like how you went from “modest errors” to “plain laziness” and “EGREGIOUS lapse” :sweat_smile:

Something tells me you got a little carried away with that post.

Thanks for the tips Jim. I will get this reviewed and revised.

PS. More than happy to get some help. I do all the data entry myself for the products, and I do my best… but you really have to dig deep to pull out all the possible functions that each proprietary feature provides.

3 Likes

One other comment… when I go down the spec sheets, I am exhaustively comprehensive in making sure each feature listed makes it into my comparisons… but if the manf doesn’t list something like expansion, I’m not going to spend an hour tracking down whether or not that feature exists. I do send the features to the manf’s to proof, and sadly, they don’t spend the time they should giving me the type of feedback I need.

Oh, and some manf’s don’t make useful spec sheets… That’s the other part of this.

4 Likes

Don’t know if you ask forum users to check feature reviews for correctness. Since many users are very gung-ho about the particular brand and model they have chosen, they might help catch categorization problems before you publish a review.

I really appreciate what you’re trying to do with Hearing Tracker and the HA review process. It should help a lot of people get the information they need to make informed purchases that they’ll be happy with. Thanks for the effort you’ve put in. :+1:

1 Like

@AbramBaileyAuD
off topic but can you add Nucleus 8 Sound processor? It is literally 3 things improved on top of the N7.

SCAN 2 with Forward Focus automatic program instead of a toggle

Bluetooth LE Audio capable HW but firmware is not available and is coming soon

more compact, much smaller, longer battery life. IP68, in contrast, N7 has iP67 rating i believe

2 Likes

I often post in the forums asking people to review new products I’ve added and usually no one bothers… so I figured asking for hardcore feature reviews would be a bridge to far… But, you are always welcome to provide feedback. It is helpful and appreciated.

1 Like

Would adding Cochlear processors to your comparison be possible?

Like hearing aids members are full of questions about the different brand processors available and how they compare.

At least it is only three brands and functions only change every 4-5 years unless updated.

3 Likes

Honestly your loss seems better than mine (missing all the high frequencies) and with Lumity I can enjoy music with great satisfaction both steamed and with speakers…

1 Like

I’ll update it to my new audiogram when it comes through from the audiologist. Time has not been kind to my hearing it seems. Also, word recognition isn’t great.

2 Likes

I finally gave up on behind-the-ear face masks. They either bend my ol’ ears in half so the ear loops slip off or my aids get tangled in it and zing across the room when I take the mask off. :neutral_face:

1bluejay - That sucks!! See, I use a method where I use two fingers, both my thumb and index finger, to spread the ear loop wide enough, and wrap the ear loop behind my ear so that it ignores the hearing aid entirely. Then, I do the reverse when taking it off. Takes 2 seconds.

The one thing holds true, however, sometimes my hearing aids do get stuck but I am very careful to make sure that my hearing aids don’t get flung across the room using this method. I just take the hearing aid out and carefully unwrap it and put it back into my ear.

Hi jonifoz ,
Which Lumity hearing aids do you have, I am currently on a 60 day trial with the L70-R’s and also trying the Oticon more 2’s . I’m leaning towards the Lumity but the oticon has it’s pluses also. there are just so many settings to play with on the lumity that it can get a bit confusing. Which setting are you finding best when in noisy environments like a party or at a bar. I do find the oticon automatic seems better at adapting on it’s own to different situations than the lumity, lumity has way more features and better bluetooth, the phone with built in speaker in the aids is awesome.