Resound Omnia 9 battery problem

Yes, I have read your previous posts on that. At least one MFi HA has to be connected for the streaming On/Off option to show (and if at least one HA is connected, the switch shows for both HA’s). For me, when an HA is seriously disconnected, only a “searching” pinwheel shows in MFi Devices, not a battery icon for that HA. If the other HA is still connected, its battery icon will still show in MFi Devices. I’ve also tried having both HA’s controlled separately in MFi devices vs. controlled in synchrony. Switching that stuff on and off has no effect for me on the disconnected HA. I think it must be because of a difference between what’s going astray for ReSound and Oticon HA’s. And even though they both address the MFi API, so to speak, on the side of the HA’s, I would think how their chipsets operate must be quite a bit different.

I do have other states of disconnection where force-killing the Smart 3D app and relaunching or rebooting my iPhone does the trick. In the future, I should look more closely at BT broadcasting with a BT scanner before I try any fixes and see if the affected HA is still broadcasting when connectivity can just be recovered by forcing-killing the 3D app or rebooting the iPhone, etc. Before, I was only doing further tests on the state of the disconnected HA when neither of those quickie fixes worked.

Wow! I did not consider total disconnection. It appears, at least with Oticon, that connectivity may be more consistent without the app installed.

Are you sure there are not other wireless devices in the vicinity that could be interfering at 2.4 GHz or 2.5 GHz? Wi-Fi and microwave ovens come to mind. Due to inexpensive radio parts many devices use these unlicensed frequencies.

2 Likes

For me, the funny thing is if I hadn’t wasted all that time in the other thread on Flight Mode, I likely never would have had the epiphany that maybe accidentally entering Flight Mode is what responsible for my occasional states of complete disconnection even though room sounds seem normal through my external mics. Whatever it is, it’s weird!

1 Like

Here is another thing to check. Do you own an iPad? Apple’s icloud shares the hearing aid settings with other devices. I had an issue with my Quattro’s where one hearing aid suddenly wouldn’t connect with my iPhone. Turns out my iPad was nearby and was grabbing one or both connections to my hearing aids. I turned off Bluetooth on the iPad and the issue disappeared. Just something else to check…

Jordan

4 Likes

Interesting suggestion, Jordan! I don’t own an iPad but my wife has two. I also still use my Galaxy Note 8 with my Quattros occasionally. My Omnias have never been paired with that. And we have a ton of BT devices around the house. I can’t recall having a single disconnection event with my trial Omnias, though. I reported my Flight Mode hypothesis to ReSound. We’ll see if there’s any response.

The most important observation, though, is when an Omnia is in a thoroughly disconnected state from my iPhone, it can’t be detected by a BT scanner. That just basic RF detection and shouldn’t depend on a MFi connection to the iPhone or not.

On the iPads go to Settings->Accessibility->Hearing Devices
Make sure both “Control Nearby Dev”and “Audio Handoff” are turned off.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a try later in the day. The wife is sleeping off some flu-like bug that’s got her feeling very tired and I don’t use her iPads.

1 Like

My wife checked her BT settings on her iPads. On her old iPad Mini, stuck on iPadOS 12.7, she keeps BT turned off, and I don’t think anything is BT-paired with that iPad. Opening Accessibility, Hearing Devices, just results in a pinwheel searching, and nothing else shows. On her iPad Pro (iPadOS 16.4), she keeps BT turned on, but the only thing her Pro is paired with is her Apple Pencil. And the same is true for opening Accessibility, Hearing Devices on the Pro. The only thing that shows up there is the searching pinwheel. She tells me she keeps both devices completely off when she’s not using them, too, and the total disconnect of both my Omnias this morning occurred when both her iPads were off. Perhaps Find My is turned on for both devices but I should think that would just be occasional BT broadcasting and occasional BT listening for a “wipe this device” command.

I think I’ll just trundle along as things are and wait for ReSound or Apple to come up with a fix. I don’t feel like playing “let’s exchange the HA’s and see what happens…” game.

If either aid has been connected to the iPad before it might still be hiding a legacy connection.

Turn the Bluetooth off. Reboot the iPad and don’t reconnect, it should sort itself out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never connected to or used my wife’s iPad, but it certainly seemed like a good suggestion from everyone to check out the possibility that somehow one of her iPads was shanghaiing my iPhone’s BT connection to the Omnias. I’m still mystified as to why I didn’t experience such a problem with my trial rechargeable Omnias. Perhaps I never left the vicinity of my iPhone while I was wearing the trial Omnias if “iPhone separation” is what triggers the problem.

No, it will have needed to be attached at some point, perhaps just to demonstrate the features. Worth a try though just to eliminate a potential issue.

A ReSound rep suggested I follow an iOS 13 recipe for fixing ReSound BT connectivity issues. I haven’t gone more than a few days but so far the fix looks promising.

It’s basically what a lot of us have been doing to remedy MFi BT connectivity. Unpair the HA’s as MFi devices, reboot the iPhone, repair the aids as MFi devices, reinstall the app, etc. There can be various variations as to exactly how you configure the HA’s as MFi hearing devices, e.g., Chuck Kemp’s Oticon recipe: Oticon MORE firmware 1.4.0 - BT issues with iOS 16 - #407 by cvkemp. @cvkemp. I didn’t find this sort of routine very helpful with my ReSound Omnia complete disconnection problem either for iOS 16.3 or 16.4. Then I noticed a critical difference in the ReSound recipe vs. what I was doing. After the unpairing and before rebooting, ReSound instructs the user to first TURN OFF BT before rebooting, then turn it back on, obviously, after rebooting to repair the HA’s as MFi devices. And only then uninstall and reinstall the Smart 3D smartphone app after the reboot and the MFI devices repairing.

So, I’ve only gone about two days without an Omnia turning off its BT broadcasting. I have had a couple of “iPhone separation” incidents, but force-killing and relaunching the Smart 3D has re-established the 3D app BT connection. Just now, I had such an incident, and although the HA appeared disconnected in the 3D app, it was still broadcasting BT as judged by a BT scanner, and force-killing and relaunching the 3D app promptly restored BT connectivity to the app.

My ignorant theory as to why ReSound suggests turning off BT before rebooting is perhaps otherwise the existing BT stack is cached during a phone reboot whereas with BT off, it’s more of a clean boot and a fresh BT stack, which gives BT connectivity a fresh start. Perhaps someone like @ssa could comment on why ReSound recommends turning BT off before rebooting.

Another Internet article on fixing iPhone BT connectivity problems also recommends turning BT off, then rebooting. But the article claims BT should be turned off in Settings, Bluetooth. The claim is that using the Control Center toggle to uncheck BT being on doesn’t really completely turn BT off. So the toggle in Settings, Bluetooth is best

ReSound Series: App Tips and Tricks

iOS 13 Connectivity

If you updated your Apple® device to iOS 13, you may experience issues with connectivity to your
hearing aids. The best way to resolve this is to re-pair your hearing aids to your Apple device and
reinstall your ReSound app.

1. On your device, tap Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices > Your name/model of
    hearing aids > Forget this device. Confirm when prompted by tapping Forget again.
  2. Open your hearing aid battery doors. If you have rechargeable hearing aids, place them in
    the charger.
  3. Turn Bluetooth off on your mobile device, by tapping Settings > Bluetooth and switch the*
    green toggle to grey.
  4. Reboot your device by turning it off and on again.
  5. Once rebooted, turn Bluetooth back on by tapping Settings > Bluetooth and switch the grey
    toggle back to green.
  6. Then, tap on Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices and then turn your hearing aids
    back on by closing the battery doors or remove them from your hearing aid charger.
  7. Once your device has found your hearing aids, tap on your name/model of hearing aids.
    When prompted, tap Accept to all pairing requests.
  8. Next, uninstall and reinstall your ReSound app on your phone.
    a. Delete the app by touching and holding the app icon. Tap Rearrange apps.
    b. Tap the ‘X’ next to your ReSound app and confirm you want to delete it.
    c. Go to the app store and type ‘Smart 3D’ in the search field.
    d. Tap Get and complete the download.
  9. Once reinstalled, open the app and begin the connection flow by tapping Get Started.

Source: Letter (webdamdb.com)

2 Likes

Well, so much for ReSound’s reboot method, described in my post above. On Day 4, my right Omnia hearing aid got disconnected and had to be rebooted to reconnect to my iPhone.

Not sure I have much to contribute but I just got a pair of Omnias (still in the trial period) and have noticed this same disconnection issue. Only once so far, luckily, but I did have to reboot the hearing aids to reconnect. I’m running iOS 16.4 and they have only ever been connected to my phone. One other thing that is driving me crazy and I think is probably related is that having the aids connected to my phone wreaks havoc with streaming audio to my car via bluetooth. It basically acts like my phone constantly connects/disconnects from my car. If I forget the pairing of the aids, everything works fine. This is super annoying–especially with learning about the disabled flight mode in this thread. I searched through the app for quite a while looking for a way to turn off bluetooth without unpairing them from my phone and couldn’t find it. Now I know why. So far I’m really not impressed with Resound compared to the Widex that I tried.

I don’t drive a vehicle with Bluetooth connectivity yet (but will in another month or so). How about going into your iPhone Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, Audio Routing, and changing the routing while you’re driving for Media Audio (and Call Audio) to NEVER HEARING DEVICES while you’re driving?

It’s been so long since I’ve used Android with my hearing aids I’ve forgotten how things work there. For iOS, though, in my limited experience over the past few years, it seems that BT streaming could be more equitably shared between apps that want to use that facility, and no one app or device should be able to hog a channel. Waze seems to be a good example that only latches onto a streaming channel when it needs to announce something, whereas my Battery Charge Alarm app seems to lock onto the audio streaming channel as soon as I set a charging alarm on my iPhone even though it may be many minutes before the phone is charged to a level that triggers the endpoint alarm.

I re-paired the hearing aids and tried this and it seemed to work until I connected them to the app and then it went haywire again. However, this wasn’t a good test since I didn’t let them go for a good amount of time before connecting them to the app. I tried deleting the app and that didn’t help. I think I will try the “pairing dance” that you referenced in this thread or the other one and see if that works. Otherwise, I’m not sure what to do.

I will add that my car is from 2009 so that could be a factor as well. However, streaming works fine until the hearings aids are paired and/or app connected.

If you search the forum on “car Bluetooth” (without the quotes), there are lots of threads about using hearing aids, smartphones, and car Bluetooth. Maybe there are some useful suggestions to be found in some of those threads? Perhaps there are audio routing settings in CarPlay that need to be adjusted as well. In a month or so when I get my new vehicle, I should have the fun of getting to figure out the same stuff myself!

Just saw the following article: If iOS 16.4.1 is causing CarPlay problems, here’s how to fix it | Macworld

Doesn’t seem like I can edit my earlier post above that I’m quoting on the iPhone BT disconnect problem with MFi hearing devices. It may be a premature announcement on my part, but it seems like turning off Bluetooth for TWO MINUTES OR MORE in the iPhone Control Center will prompt the iPhone to reconnect to disconnected hearing aids. It’s worked for me 3 or 4 times in a row with my ReSound Omnias now. Only ONE MINUTE of BT off is insufficient to restore connectivity on turning BT on again, but TWO MINUTES of iPhone BT off, then on again, seems to do the trick.

Hi,
Use mine new ONE9 for a few months, than both side would give low battery warning after 8 hours use and shut down.
Return to GN Hearing for Warranty check, and they replace both aids with new ones.

1 Like

Saw stu’s post about hos wife’s hearing aids, its not her iphone its the heqring aids, i have had mine a whole 24 hrs and already had one disconnect from the app and then the next day the rechargeable hearing aid was dead. It sat on the charger overnight and by 1 pm today it was dead. I dont think i will be keeping these

Thank you for your post stu