Resound Linx2

Here is my favorite Justin post.

The Binax platform features binaural processing (Oticon has had this technology for about 10 years but call it binaural synchronization), which means that the directional microphones and noise reduction systems synchronize what they are doing and audio is streamed from one side to the other in order to increase the effectiveness of the directional mic system and allow for sideways and reverse directionality. The Binaxfit rationale is designed to increase first fit acceptance, meaning that it emphasizes comfort over clarity. Which means that without significant modification and fine tuning, most people are not getting the best word recognition they are capable of.

Oticon’s Inium Sense platform, on the other hand, features true binaural processing. Besides just the ability to synchronize directional microphones and noise reduction and stream audio between devices, Oticon’s Alta2 Pro and Nera2 Pro feature the ability to actually compare the signals from both sides and operate them independently, and manage the compression ratios of each side independently in order to achieve not just the lowest SNR, but also the most REALISTIC reproduction of analog speech. The speech signal remains the priority so that word recognition improves measurably regardless of the environment. Also, because the compression systems are activated independently, spatial cues are maintained allowing people to focus their attention on the source of multiple sounds quicker and more fluidly (As we do naturally), rather than relying on what the hearing devices thinks is the most important sound.

There are other smaller differences, but the difference in binaural processing strategies is the BIG one. Siemens and Phonak and Resound’s “binaural processing” are where Oticon was 6-10 years ago, depending on which brand you’re talking about.

You will notice I even said Nera2 Pro. I normally sell Nera2 Pros for about $5500/pair. Thats about what I sell Binax 7s for as well, because my cost on them is close to the same. But Ihave a questionnaire that patient fill out when they walk in that asks them to rate their device’ performance in various situations. You’ve probably seen similar ones before. Nera2 Pro and Alta2 Pro ROUTINELY outscore Binax on this subjective measure. I have a 4 point rating system from Very well, to Good, to Fair, to Poor. Binax scores average out in the Good to Fair range (Closer to Good). Nera2 Pro averages in the Very well to Good range (Closer to Good), and Alta2 Pro averages just below Very Well.

I would suggest that you trial both the ReSound product and the Oticon product and then make up your own mind as to which one provides you the greatest benefit in everyday situations. You might find the convenience of direct audio streaming with ReSound is superior to wearing a neckloop device with Oticon.

I did trial the Resound Linx2 and found them to sound very well. But the fact is, this direct connection chews thru batteries like no tomorrow. (every day, or 2) That was a big cause for concern. Of course, you can always have batteries with you, as they are cheap… But it also means your battery will decide to die during phone conversations much more often. I didn’t find that part of it superior to my Oticon Agil Pro’s and the old reliable streamer. It was quite annoying so I gave them back and I’m going to trial the Oticon Alta Pros next. If they don’t make my jaw drop, I’ll probably wait a year to see if Oticon comes up with some superior technology that doesn’t chew thru batteries so fast.

Griffinjay,

find an audiologist you can trust

Comparison of Linx2 with some other aids - sorry but I cannot compare with Oticon

I initially had the ReSound Linx 961s - a bit fiddley to get the programming right but sounded as good as the Phonak Q90s I tried before that once they were programmed right -less comfortable and slightly larger receiver - 312 batteries lasted me 5 full days with small amounts of streaming daily -loved the control app and the direct connection to my iPhone, iPad, iPod…

Next I had the ReSound Linx2 961s - a failure due to microphone noise and no rep in my state(a local problem) - sound would probably have been fine if the microphone noise had not driven me crazy - a bit more comfortable with new smaller receiver - 312 batteries lasted 6 days - both ReSound aids had quite stiff wires from aids to receivers.

Next the Phonak Audeo V90 312Ts - very natural sound - much more comfortable receivers - soft, very flexible wires - 312 batteries last 8 days - connectivity sucks - I refuse to wear a streamer (no lanyards allowed at work due to strangulation risk with confused patients, like to wear jewelry, do not want to have to explain it to everyone all the time, seems primitive, needs to be worn too close to HAs to be convenient, do not have clothes that would hide it etc…)

My audiologist originally told me that any high end hearing aid would be able to be programmed to suit my needs. She favors Phonak due to past good results/acceptance and slightly better prices negotiated with the manufacturer (original quote for Q90s was $600 cheaper per pair than Linx9s) but is happy to sell, program,service all aids. She said that if the V90s were not to my liking she would suggest I try the Oticon next. She felt the reports on the Starkey version of iPhone compatible aids had not been as well received as the ReSound version.

It is great to have the advice of experts and thank you JustinHIS and Mark Chambers to supply information about Oticon. As a Resound wearer for the past year I appreciate the input but also wondered why the user experience for people like adgraham, who has another post, is so very different from mine, and why Oticon is perceived by JustinHIS as luxury while resound is economy. I also remembered my experience regarding the variation in knowledge among audiologists and HIS who fit the devices, so I did a bit of research.

I stumbled upon this report http://www.audiology.org/sites/default/files/journal/JAAA_20_01_03.pdf that addresses the reasons audiologists make brand recommendations. It turns out that 93.5% of audiologists recommend a single brand. The article goes into a detailed explanation of the reasons, but there are 7 factors. The first is referred to as “aptitude.” This refers to the Quality of the brand’s product, Fit/comfort of products in patient’s ears, Brand’s customer service and the Brand’s programming software. Since all are potentially dependent on familiarity with the product (other than perception of quality), the new product from resound and the programming of the device may cause it to be less appealing. I have also found the Resound support in terms of explanation and interaction with audiologists regarding programing of the devices to be somewhat lacking. This could lead to improper programming that would give rise to quality concerns and the battery and popping issues described in other posts.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying, your mileage may vary and these devices are very subjective. I pursued the Resound device because I wanted to the features and when I received and it and had to programmed correctly, it exceeded all expectations.

If your audiologist or HIS, or any audiologist or HIS recommends a brand, make sure you ask why and their familiarity with others.

Do you have the Linx 2? If so which level did you get. I think I would do alright with the lower model because I am
pretty much a homebody. Don’t do much in noisy places so don’t really need all the added features. I would just
like the IPhone connection for taking calls and music streaming.

I have Linx2. I am not aware of different levels. I think different models from Resound address different levels of loss.

The levels add features. Linx uses 5-7-9. The bill given you should show the level. It will say something like LinX2 model 961. You can look on resound.com and view all the differences but the biggest feature addresses noise reduction.

Well I ordered my HA’s today. I decided on getting the Linx2 level 5. Both the audi and I think they will work out fine
for me as I am pretty much a homebody. Need to wait until 12/15 as she won’t be in the office when they come in.
I went thru Tru Hearing and they won’t cost me anything because insurance covers their cost of 2500. My audi gives
1 year of supplies and services and 3 years on any warranty work. I don’t think this deal can be beat. Am very excited
to have made my decision and am very happy with my audi at this point. Needless to say I will continue to monitor the
forum and provide info when I get my aids. The audi states that she has fitted a goodly number of these aids and people are very happy with them. Here’s hoping.

Well, three cheers for Resound and Tru Hearing. I ordered my Linx2 5 62(13 battery) on Tuesday and picked them
up today. I gotta tell you I am thrilled with them. Streamed music through right away. They were set up as new
user and I have an appointment in 2 weeks for any further adjustments that might be needed then. I went through
Tru Hearing because I didn’t need to pay anything with my insurance coverage. Can’t say enough good about the
whole experience from G W my rep there to the audi I am working with. The next time my husband turns a western
on TV I’ll just stream something like Whitney Houston through my phone. Color me happy It streams in stereo!

Great to hear that you are enjoying your new Linx2 562’s. I picked identical ones up 2 weeks ago. These are my third set of HAs ( 0ficons and Siemens Centra) have to say the Link 2 are super. Linking to my iPhone just adds to the experience, especially so when talking on he phone, so clear. I do a lot of mountain biking and steaming stereo is fantastic when out on the trails.

Colour me happy’ X 2!!

Amen to that!

Psocopteran, I just got the Linx 2 9 a week ago. I’ve posted a thread on one of the issues I have, which is a noise or distorting of the sound. It’s NOT like the treble or high frequencies are turned up too much, or sibilants are too loud, it’s an actual static or breakup noise. For instance when OutLook at work gets mail it makes a bell sound. My left aid hears it as a bell, my right aid just creates a static or break up kind of sound. I do think it may have something to do with not being in the right mode or trying to switch modes or something.

Is that kind of what you are describing?

Thanks!

Avign0n33,

I had a similar issue with the Lynx 1 I had for a few months. It was a defect in one of the devices.

I’ve been trialing the ReSound Linx2 7 the past two weeks, but with no other accessories (I don’t own an iPhone).

Speech is definitely better in nearly every situation than my Starkey Wi CIC’s. But I’m bothered by how loud/crisp other high-range sounds are when I have the volume set at a level to understand speech. A noisy coffeehouse, freeway noise in the car, or just chatting with my wife in the kitchen - all examples of situations in which I hear other noises so well that it interferes with understanding speech and sometimes hurts.

Is this a common struggle to overcome?

I’m definitely going to trial the Oticon Alta 2.

griffinjay, I think no sound should hurt. The fitter may need to reduce the maximum volume on the aids so that doesn’t happen. If the fitter has set up programs for speech in noise, restaurants, etc., it’s probably better to switch to a different program than to adjust the volume, because increasing the volume increases the volume of the noise as well as what you want to hear.

daisymae, that makes sense! So I just asked my audi to order both the remote control accessory and the phone clip so I can test those features. I don’t have an iPhone so I can’t test the unique features that it brings but my wife’s Samsung Galaxy S5 will work with the Smart App.

Is this a common struggle to overcome?

It can be. When an Oticon is profiled during the first fitting you can have it set to a softer/rounder sound or one that is sharper/more distinct. I tried mine both ways and there is a definite difference. I started with the sharper sound, went to the softer set up and then went back to the sharper setting. I preferred it that way but it does take a bit of time to acclimate. My audiologists told me that she fits more with the softer profile–especially with new users–but it’s a matter of preference.

You can also have them set to include more or less of the normal everyday environmental sounds that one encounters. I had mine set to more but again my audiologist fits more new users the other way. As mine are set all sounds are amplified but I have no problems hearing people talk. Why did I have them set that way? Because I want things to be as normal as possible. People with normal hearing don’t have instruments that filter all the sounds that one encounters in normal day to day life. The brain does the filtering–it focuses on things important and ignores the others. So I choose to have the ear and the mind work with the least amount of assistance as possible. With them set as I have them I have only had one situation when I had trouble. It was a split bar restaurant, it was extremely busy and loud and had a band playing on the bar side. BUT the three people I was with, all with normal hearing, were having trouble as well. But just for occasions like that I had a speech in noise program activated with maximum noise suppression and the field of the directional mics narrowed. I haven’t had an opportunity to use it yet. I’ve been in mine one month. You can read about the my experience at the following link. Skip to page 6 to avoid all the stuff leading up to getting them:

And here you can read an over view of the initial fitting process for the Oticon Alta2:

There is no best hearing aid for everyone. There is only the best one for you. Good luck in your search.

Hi Avign0n,

Sorry I have not replied before now as I have been a bit busy with the lead up to Christmas and did not see your post until today. What I was hearing was internal noise from the hearing aid( Linx2 961 ). I only heard it in the right ear and the aid was replaced because my audiologist thought it must be faulty because it was spending three quarters of the time or more in directional mode. With both microphones active in this mode the microphone noise was audible. Both microphones should not normally be active unless one is in a noisy environment and then one should not be able to hear or pick out the microphone noise.

The new aid did the same thing. It sounded like static or a hissing sort of noise. It was most audible in relatively quiet environments with some noise present and it was in time with those noises eg. Road noise, air con noise, newsreaders on radio in car or newsreaders on tv, fridge noise etc. Activating expansion on the aid helped but can compromise speech reception so we did not want to set that to max. Your audiologist will be able to check the data log on the aid to see if you have the same issue with directional microphones being active for excessive periods of time. You could also try to get the rep out if your audiologist is not able to fix it and get them to bring a new aid in case they decide it is faulty so you won’t need to keep going back. Unfortunately there was no ReSound rep in my state at the time and they were in the process of training a new one so my audiologist really got little useful help from the company in Australia.

Hope this helps you troubleshoot the problem.