ReSound LiNX Quattro vs Oticon OPN 1's

As others have said, it really depends on the match between you - and especially how you like/want to hear sound - your fitter and finally the HA itself.

I’ve used ReSound Linx 2 and have trialed the Quattros, and they just don’t work well for me, especially on your most important criteria of speech-in-noise. The sound overall is much too sharp for me (can be adjusted by slowing down their default time constants setting from “syllabic”, but that never helped much.

My brain has much preferred Widex (which you don’t seem to be considering), Phonak and Oticon. What I like most about Widex is not only the overall quality of the sound and the HAs ability to discern speech-in-noise but also the SoundSense learn program in the Evoke 440s that enables me to “dial-in” the sound exactly to what I need in a particular environment with more user control than any other HA on the market (my job enables me to try out all the flagship devices of every manufacturer). Once you found the best sound for your operating theater environment, you could save that as a preference and choose it each time before going in to surgery.

I’m excited to try out the new Marvel devices from Phonak. Their StereoZoom program from way back when (which streamed sound binaurally in challenging listening situations) was a life-saver for me and groundbreaking when it was introduced. It’s back in the new Marvels and automatically invoked as needed. With your investment in Roger technologies, Phonak Marvel definitely would merit consideration, especially as they will be turning on direct connectivity with Marvel devices via a firmware update next Fall (no more need for intermediaries or Roger receivers clipped on to your devices). That said, Marvel doesn’t work at this moment with Roger except, I believe, with an intermediary device.

Please keep us up to speed on what you learn/find and best of success!

Chris

As someone who has word recognition scores in the teens despite owning two Resound Multi Mics, I understand your situation completely. However, if I were ever allowed to enter an OR as medical staff, I know that I would create an unacceptable health liability to the patient and a legal liability to the hospital because of my hearing disability. No amount of gadgets will make our hearing perfect.

There are many positions in the medical industry that you could fill that do not demand instant communication and reaction such as in an OR’s extremely noisy and critical environment. Surely your Med School professors could guide you in the proper direction.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. With the mics, I do outstandingly in the OR (not to sound pompous, but to defend what I am doing). My speech understanding is around 80% in both ears consistently, so we are not able to be directly compared. I know of some physicians who have cochlear’s in the OR, so I think it’s more of a “how do I jump over this hurdle without compromising patient safety” type of deal, which the physicians I am learning from strongly encourage.

I am not looking forward to getting the Quattro’s that I’ve been fitted for. I just don’t think they’re going to be able to do what I need them to do, although I hope they can. I think I need to jump ship to Oticon OPN, Widex, or Phonak (maybe the Marvel?).

MY opinion is OPN will likely do no better than Quattro. Phonak Audeo Marvel and it’s integration with the Roger system is what makes it interesting…not the hearing aids own capabilities sans Roger. Audeo Marvel does have straight Bluetooth pairing, but this comes at a significant hit to battery life.

can you give any info for why you have that opinion?

regarding battery life - Phonak has made it difficult to really know what the battery life is. do you know more specifically what this significant hit is?

it seems here that many people really do have success with certain brands over another. how Oticon OPN uses its microphones – which seem to be different than all the others – is very intriguing to me

the Widex’s ability to specifically ask you “are you hearing well in this environment?” and adjusting based off of your reply yes/no is extremely attractive to me. it seems it could really be a game changer for me.

Phonak gets recommended a lot for profound losses. I am trialing their RIC style hearing aid from Costco. The regular model name for that is Phonak Audeo B (312 or 13).

The Phonak Marvel is out and has direct connectivity, BUT, my understanding is that it connects to only one device at a time, and can’t yet connect to the Compilot 2 Bluetooth device, or Roger receivers.

The Phonak Audeo connects to the Compilot2, which I wear under my shirt, and the Compilot2 connects to at least two devices at one time. If you connect to two phones then it connects to one more Bluetooth device. So I can be streaming audio from a laptop and then take a call from either phone. The streaming pauses when a call comes in.

The Roger receiver plugs into the Compilot2. I’m not sure how you would use that but there is a lot of connectivity and device options with that.

By the way, all the major brands have great features and do noise reduction but their default is pretty mild. I have my regular, everything program with some enhanced noise reduction, and then I have a manual program for speech in loud noise and we have really cranked up noise reduction, to near the max setting. You may have to do the same.

Also, Phonak has a speech in 360 program that looks for voices 360 and one hearing aid can send that speech to the other. You can have it face one direction if you want. I don’t particularly like it but it might be good for this situation.

I am currently trialing the Widex Evoke 440. Have only worn it a week and a half and I’ve found the SoundSense learn to be very useful. However it requires that you enter into a series of A / B comparisons which you could not do in OR. It would be very beneficial if you could more or less duplicate those conditions and tune them in that. Or perhaps a sympathetic team might allow you to stand somewhere in the OR and tune them that way.

My team definitely wants to do all they can to get me better in the OR without mics, so this is definitely something I could do with others assisting me. I’m excited about the possibility.

It seems I need to give these Quattro’s a chance, then look into Widex vs Oticon Vs Phonak.

If I was in your position I’d wring out all of them if I was able. I wouldn’t want to be wondering if there was a better option. Go to the pro pages of each of the brands and learn as much as you can about each one so you can take advantage of all the features.

This almost sounds like a “trending on Hearing Tracker Forums this week” list. ReSound isn’t discussed all that much here, and there’s no one flogging it all the time. But that doesn’t mean the Quattro isn’t a state-of-the-art hearing aid. It’s improved over the 3D’s I had, so I have to assume it’s even more improved over your LiNX9’s (is that LiNX2 9?). I think it would be a mistake to write them off before you even try them, especially if you then won’t consider any adjustments after initial fitting.

Your loss is much worse than mine, so I can’t extrapolate my experience to you. But I guess noise reduction is just as important to you as it is to me, if not more. Not only are the Quattros better at reducing steady background noise, they also give you more control over noise reduction in the app. The 3D had the Noise Filter button, which dampened annoying frequencies but was in some sense the opposite of Speech Clarity. With the Quattros, the app has an additional kind of noise reduction control: A Noise Reduction slider, with six choices: Off, Mild etc., and Automatic. I find that Automatic does a great job of letting me hear what I need to hear, while not bothering me with useless sounds. But if I want to hear the refrigerator very clearly, I can choose to do that.

The only concern currently with the Marvels for your needs is that the Roger compatibility won’t be activated until a firmware update this coming Fall. That means no direct Roger and also even no Roger via mediator until then.

I do think the Phonaks will be amazing out the gate but if Roger is a requirement, you’ll need a Plan B.

Chris

Can’t use compilot? Nothing would bridge Marvel to Roger in the meantime?

Can’t use ComPilot - just verified with Phonak directly.

They did tell me that in February when the t-coil versions of Marvel will be introduced, there will be connectivity with Roger transmitters via the Roger MyLink intermediary. Then, in Fall, direct Roger connectivity will be activated via a firmware update for all Marvel devices.

Must admit I remain skeptical of the ability of the microphones of two hearing aids to pull this off. I’m wondering if some sort of array of microphones could be placed in an OR. Not sure what sort of device would be needed to coordinate the input. Maybe something like Oticon’s Sound Field? Or maybe there’s some really sophisticated conference call setups that work. I’m convinced a technological solution is doable–just not convinced the solution resides within two hearing aids. Do keep us posted.

I’ll clarify: the goal is to get me hearing better without them, but we recognize the best solution will involve microphones. We want me at a better baseline hearing in this environment without them.

Major bummer about Phonak Marvel. Sounds like an awesome product. Concerned about lack of transparency on phonak’s part in regards to battery life. Also a bit shocked that their Roger system doesn’t work out of the gates. I may be able to trial one of the t-coil solutions when that is released in Feb.

Rechargeables are for stay at home folks with limited chance of draining their charge. I’m on the road a lot as well as having some long days. Batteries are cheap and I don’t have a dexterity problem. I keep extras everywhere.

With the Quattro’s you can easily read the % charge of each rechargeable HA in the Smart 3D app. A full charge with no streaming lasts you ~30 hours (or 24 with 12 hours of streaming). And it only takes about 10 minutes charging to add another 3 or 4 hours to available usage time, not much beyond the time taken to change out disposable batteries for a disposable battery-using HA model. And the very portable Quattro charger/case can contain at least 3 FULL charges for both HA’s and doesn’t have to be plugged in to recharge the Quattro’s (works like a battery pack for a phone). And I imagine that if one had to, same as with disposables, that one could recharge/(replace battery) on one HA at a time while still using the other HA.

So at least for Quattro’s, I think the “rechargeable problem” is a straw man. The only disadvantage that I see is how long the lifespan of the Li-ion batteries will be and how well the batteries stand up to Texas summer heat. But other than that, I’m very happy with having rechargeable Li-ion batteries in my Quattro’s.

I’m glad you like yours Jim. I can be on the road for days at a time and find them to be a limiting factor that I don’t need to deal with. Instead of having to charge them every night I put in new batteries once a week. I don’t consider recharging to be advantageous in any respect–at least as long as my fine motor skills are intact.