ReSound LiNX Quattro vs Oticon OPN 1's

What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages between the Quattro and OPN 1?

I need hearing aids that need superior/stellar/incredible ability for speech-in-noise. The environment that I need these hearing aids to perform in is very challenging: the operating room (I’m a medical student soon to be resident). With masks on, I can’t read lips. A lot of ambient noise in the background (small humming motors for suctioning, lots of equipment running in background - varying level of noise). A lot of people talking in the background at times. Sometimes the doctors I work with speak softly (since they’re focused and I’m standing right next to them). It’s a challenging environment for anyone, but it’s the one I’m tasked with. After a lot of reading and research, it seems the best option is ReSound LiNX Quattro or the Oticon OPN 1.

My current aids are ReSound LiNX 9. Audiogram in profile. I’ve tried about 10 times to program these aids for this environment and it just hasn’t been able to happen. I’ve resorted to using the multi-mic in the OR, but that makes it challenging to hear anyone other than the person wearing the mic. And with my left hearing aid now in need of repair (broke this week during a workout due to sweat), it is time for me to seriously consider new aids.

I had made a post previously talking about other issues/questions I have, but I would like to focus specifically on which new aid to get. I’m thinking it’s between the Quattros and Oticon OPN’s. It seems these are probably my best bet. Are there other aids I should seriously consider? I haven’t heard much talk about Starkey on this forum. I wore Phonak (don’t know the name of the aid) for about 4 years ending 4 years ago, and I hated them. I am open to what technology they have 8 years later, but I am hesitant to go back.

I am a little concerned about Oticon releasing a new OPN soon, so I am wondering if I should hold off. They were released in 2016. Since I’m paying out of pocket as a student and I’ll be using these for ~5 years, I need the best I can get.

This forum has been super helpful for me. Thank you everyone.

What are your Bone Conduction levels? If your loss is mixed/big conductive portion it will have a huge bearing on the efficacy of the choice. AND is the loss stable?

You’re virtually in Enzo territory there - again, depending on the amount of BC.

Depending on the above you might do better with an appropriately placed Multi-Mic set using the Resound App and positioned away from the noise sources than you can with your surgical gear and conventional HA. Even having your colleagues set-up with mics could be better.

This from one of my other post but very correct for this post too.
The best hearing aids isn’t a case of which one is really designed better than the other. It is what is best for the person wearing them. And the key to that depends on the person doing the recommendation and the person doing the fitting…
You could buy the best of the best on paper but if they do not serve your needs or are not fitted correctly then they could well be the worse aids you ever had.

For your case,I suggest a Roger system to augment any hearing aid you get. Get the type 02 receivers that can interface with multiple transmitters. Put a transmitter on several of your OR theatre coworkers. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

The OPN1 and the Quattro are both excellent. Resound has better accessories.

If you do look into Roger and like it, you may wish to consider Phonak’s Audeo Marvel with integrated Roger receivers.

No hearing aid alone will improve your speech discrimination like a remote mic …

How accommodating will your hospital be? I’m fairly sure there are clear masks available that would help from the lipreading angle.

If, somehow, the hospital has a pile of cash to throw around, you could look into the Phonak Roger system and literally mic everyone in the room–it it turn-taking though, so whomever is speaking first wins and if someone else talks over them it is not sent through. So you still need to be your own best advocate; teach the other people in the operating room how to talk to you.

since I am heavily invested in the resound ecosystem (2 multimic’s and remote control that I can wear around my neck to adjust hearing aid settings in surgery), my audiologist recommended I try the Quattro’s out to see how I do. so they are on order, will take 2 weeks to get the power mold made (can’t use dome’s with my loss).

they’ve basically said I’m going to try them out, and are not against me trying 1-2 other hearing aids like Phonak marvel or Oticon OPN. The Phonak Marvel looks very impressive. the Roger system seems pretty incredible as well, something I am just learning about.

Phonak makes the Roger system, but I see it’s possible to use it with other hearing aids. I will be looking into it for my Quattro’s/next hearing aid I end up with.

@Um_bongo - I spoke with my audiologist about what you brought up. they said my hearing loss makes bone conduction tests a bit unreliable, but seemed confident that the Quattro’s were able to give me enough power. I’ve done well with the LiNX, just not in these situations. they agreed Enzo is a possibility for me, but since my hearing loss is stable we’re going to keep me in the Quattro category for now.

the issue with multi mics with resound is that only one can be on at a time. does anyone know if you can have them running both at the same time?

I believe you can plug a roger receiver into one of your multi mics.

I am surprised that a yucky microphone, perhaps full of spit, clipped onto someone’s chest, would be allowed in the sterile field of an operating room. I’m gonna stay awake during my next surgery to make sure this doesn’t happen to me :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But maybe I don’t understand the sterile field of an OR?

Obviously we would not compromise patient safety for this. The mic is clipped onto the physician I am working with before they are scrubbed in and it rests underneath the gown. Thanks

Perhaps stuff like a Multi-Mic still works well enough under a hospital gown? My dad used to videotape complicated surgical operations for training purposes (with the consent of the patient) and he didn’t sterilize his Sony Handycam when he took it into the operating room mounted on a tripod some distance away from the operation - I think it’s the immediate area of medical operation that’s of most concern for sterile procedures - otherwise folks in the operating room might be in BSL4 garb.

Mjstew33, I have receivers embedded in custom molds as well.

MDB, yes…a Roger receiver x can be plugged into the multi-mic.

More pics.

And a Roger pen

Eh? That sounds like a cop-out and doesn’t aggree with the assertion that he loss is stable. If the conductive element is fixed and repeatable testable then the SN component can be regarded as a stable long term proposition. While if the conductive portion is dynamic, it will add or subtract from the overall loss and may need other intervention.

As for the tech, this has a huge bearing on the power needed, but I quite like the idea of the Mlx for the multiple Roger connection on the Multi-mic.

Perhaps their audiometer just maxes the bone out pretty quickly, leaving a mystery gap.

I’m having good results with Phonak and I like the sound. What I’ve found with all of them is that the stock speech in noise program needs to be adjusted to greatly increase the noise reduction. The factory settings don’t help that much but when noise reduction is moved way up I can hear speech and other sounds are reduced.

Thanks @Neville (also @Um_bongo)

What they said was that there was difficulty differentiating between what I was hearing via bone conduction versus what I was feeling, making the test unreliable. at this point, 4 audiologists at my institution have been in my care over the past few years, so I think the quattro’s/oticon opn’s (+ Phonak models) are possible options for me.

this is awesome. thanks so much @efigalaxie!

I don’t have any technical advice to give you like previous responders, but I’d like to offer a couple of observations:
1: IMHO you have to take this HA issue more seriously than almost anyone else on this forum. You have so much at stake here that you have to spend the time and money to get the absolute best HAs and accessories possible. You may have to work with more than one audi because, in my experience, most audis specialize in one or two brands and have limited experience with other brands. You need to trial multiple brands to get the best aids possible.

1. Oticon Opn was released in April of 2016 (I believe). Other brands have released more than one new model/platform since then. Those of us lucky enough to have significant insurance coverage for HAs are often allowed to use their HA benefit once every three years. So I would expect Oticon to release a brand-new HA model sometime in 2019. If I were you I’d wait until at least April before buying Opn’s. Good luck.

deeply grateful for your words, @ziploc. while I recognize the importance of what I am doing, it is helpful to hear that others see just how serious this can be for me and my future as well.

yes. I plan to trial several set of aids. I am going to trial the Quattro’s, then maybe the Phonak Marvel, and then after that - see what’s available Opn wise, hoping they have an update by then. by that time, I’ll try to make a decision between the three. my audiologists only technically can give me 30 days, but are willing to push the limits a little bit as I put these aids through the ringer in a number of different environments.