ReSound LiNX Quattro premium recharge - Hands Free Mobile Calling

New to the forum posting but have been following for several months.

Considering purchasing the ReSound LiNX Quattro model (rechargeable) but wasn’t sure about a certain feature set. That is, making and receiving cell phone calls without the aid of a separate accessory and/or the phone. I called ReSound and the customer service rep told me that in order to receive calls and have the person on the other end hear me, I would have to use the microphone on the phone and not the hearing aids. So they’re not completely hands free. Any users have experience with this?

0 Likes

That’s true. You’d need a Phone Clip+ clipped to you and use its mic for fully hands free calling.

You’ll need the Phone Clip+ and use its mic, even if you have an iPhone. Otherwise, you have to hold the iPhone up so you can speak into the iPhone mic, and hear in stereo through the hearing aids.

3 Likes

One thing you don’t say, @bwilliambaker, is whether you’re an Android or an iPhone user. If Android, as jay_man2 said, you’ll need a Phone Clip+ accessory for hands-free calling and it works pretty well. Listeners say that my voice comes through loud and clear on a phone call. If iPhone, you won’t need an intermediary device but phone calls and audio can be streamed directly to your HA’s but you would use the microphone of your phone to talk to a caller. Maybe an iPhone user can chime in if the PC+ can also be used with an iPhone as well if one wants truly hands-free calling (maybe that’s jay_man2’s point?).

I have the rechargeable Quattro’s and really like them. One thing to consider, though, is how hot it gets where you live and whether you plan on spending a lot of time outdoors in the heat. Right now it’s about 102 deg F where I live in Texas and I don’t wear my rechargeable Quattro’s out in such heat if I’m not just going between car and buildings, etc., but instead working in the yard for prolonged periods, etc. I just arbitrarily decided that I wouldn’t wear my Quattro’s outside for extended periods if the temperature is above 86 deg F. If you’re planning on getting new HA’s after the 3-year warranty period expires, you can probably ignore any heat considerations and just get your provider to refurbish the devices if the battery doesn’t hold up for your usage.

0 Likes

I edited my post to make it clear that you need the Phone Clip+ even with an iPhone for fully hands free calling.

1 Like

Wow - this is the first post I’ve read where someone using rechargeable HA batteries claims they don’t hold up well in temperatures above 86 degrees. Never heard that before but I have read where there have been several complaints that rechargeable HA units don’t properly dry out hearing aids, that have been exposed to high humidity or moisture. Well everyone knows a rechargeable HA units doesn’t dry out anything, even with a (bogus) desiccant pad used. But I’ve never heard anyone say battery life (rechargeable battery life) is cut short when temperatures get above 86 degrees. Interesting?

0 Likes

I have an iPhone. Also considering the Phonak Marvel M90-R which does have hands free calling/receiving. Interesting that ReSound doesn’t.

0 Likes

Today was my first day and I didn’t think the audio was that great using my iPhone as a microphone and the LiNX Quattro in my ears.

0 Likes

Quote of Battery University article on Li-ion battery longevity vs. storage temperature: https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage . Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.

Temperature 40% charge 100% charge Table 3: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at various temperatures. Elevated temperature hastens permanent capacity loss. Not all Li-ion systems behave the same.
0°C 98% (after 1 year) 94% (after 1 year)
25°C 96% (after 1 year) 80% (after 1 year)
40°C 85% (after 1 year) 65% (after 1 year)
60°C 75% (after 1 year) 60% (after 3 months)

Apple Care instructions on their Li-ion batteries: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple (see section down page on Avoiding Extreme Ambient Temperatures)

2015 scientific battery examining the effect of temperature on Sony li-ion batteries (see Figure 5.): https://www.nature.com/articles/srep12967 (the paper was published in NATURE, one of the world’s premiere scientific journals).

As I mentioned in my post, I arbitrarily set 86 deg F as my cutoff point for wearing my HA’s outside for prolonged exposure to high temperature (hours at a time) as I didn’t want to go 95 deg F (35 deg C) or 104 deg F (40 deg C) to explore the effects of REALLY elevated temperatures on my expensive Quattro’s.

The Quattro manual says: “The operating temperature range for the charger and the hearing aids is 0 °C - 40 °C/ 32 °F - 104 °F.” but I don’t think ReSound is being as upfront as Apple in telling you that from all the experimental evidence, you’re going to get less li-ion battery lifespan from exposing your device to elevated temperature. Apple even recommends removing occlusive cases from one’s iPhone when charging to avoid heat build up.

Most people just treat their battery-powered phones as expendable items to be trashed anyway every few years for the NEXT BIG THING so for most people having enough charge to get through the day over that time span is all they care about and they don’t want to worry about how hot their phone is getting from charging, use, or the environment. The What-Me-Worry society…

0 Likes

I think with a variety of hearing aids, depending your model of iPhone, there can be an issue with the “bandwidth” setting on the iPhone to get the best streaming audio and phone call quality. Since I’m not an iPhone user, I’m only vaguely remember that some people changed the nature of the iPhone/HA connection to get better audio and phone call quality - that may or may not be related to your perceived lack of quality but might be worth looking into.

Edit_Update: I’m probably confused on this. Adaptive vs. Fixed Bandwith is a settings option in Phonak’s Target fitting software and most iPhone users seem to recommend having your audi set the option to “Fixed Bandwidth” for streaming to a Marvel. Seems like ReSound connectivity issues have been related to exact iOS or ReSound firmware in use.

0 Likes

If you search the forum, there are some complaints, especially when outdoors, that there can be some static or flakiness in the classic BT connection powering the Marvels, for example, if your phone is in a distant pocket from your HA’s and you are walking. Having to use an intermediary device can be a bother (remembering to charge it, take it with you, etc) but might make for a stronger connection in that the streamer is usually worn at an intermediate distance between your HA’s and your pants pockets or purse, where one typically carries one’s phone. In the thread I’m referencing, a lot of people have no problem whatsoever with streaming outdoors with the Marvels, e.g., Trader Gary, and as Mark Chambers notes, the original article that Abram Bailey started the thread with was written by one of Phonak’s chief competitors (Signia). Anyone have any issues using their Phonak Marvels outdoors?

Edit_Update: There is also the following thread started by @focusandearnit . I skimmed through the thread to see if he had updated his original opinion, found a solution but didn’t catch it if he did. He’s a very discerning fellow and very much likes his Marvels over the Quattro’s he tried. Phonak Marvel Hands Free: the Achilles heel of this HA

1 Like

I think you’ll find that Phonak also doesn’t have full hands free calling. You’ll need another device like a Compilot 2 to around your neck for the microphone, I believe.

0 Likes

Not so true with the Marvel aids. The older Phonaks, yes.

0 Likes

The Phonak Marvel M90-R is hands free. Don’t know about the other models in the brand but the M90-R is.

0 Likes

no update to report as of yet, but trying a few things.

0 Likes

So you can leave your phone in your pocket and answer it and talk and hear all through the hearing aids?

0 Likes

I’ve got the marvel 90 and I can take calls on my phone without taking it out of my pocket. Just press the switch on the aid and it will connect.
It uses the aid microphones and people I’ve phoned say that it’s very clear

0 Likes

Nice! About time that feature is available.

0 Likes

Neville’s advice for KS9’s (Marvels, too?) from a different thread: Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

1 Like

Hello to all.
I like Quattro. I have both a phone with IOSb and a phone with Android.
Streaming audio in IOS works perfectly. Music … calls. . For Android, Resound cut functionality by 60%. This is due to the fact that Apple sponsored them. And now Resound and Google are bargaining, but they can’t agree on anything.

0 Likes

Got any proof for that?

The info coming from Resound Engineers is that it’s based on the lack of a cross platform similarity in the BLE implementation whereas iOS has the connection built in. The legacy issue was exacerbated by the need to get whichever app to link to the BLE pathway and use it in a way it wasn’t intended - ie cheat the data standard - to make it send audio in the the clocking gaps between the reporting of Body Area Network devices.

I’d say it was more than a little disingenuous to suggest that Resound would intentionally hobble their own devices and potentially diminish their own potential market share.

4 Likes