Resound Linx App Versus Starkey Halo App

I have had a set of Resound Linx 761’s for a couple of weeks now and overall I am very pleased with how I can now hear the world as compared to my other set of hearing aids.

I have my hearing aids paired with an iPhone 5s

Like all new things, they have a few quirks that I am sure will be sorted out over the next little while. Battery life on the Linx needs a little work but I have found that if you disable location services on the phone for the app the battery life seems to be much better on the aids and the phone.

When I am at home I just turn off location services and turn it back on before going out.

The app for the Linx in my opinion needs to be more like the Halo app. It is very difficult to compare the two except to say that what the Halo app does, the Linx app should do. Sorry Resound!

The Car mode is very nice on the Halo and not present on the Linx.

The user selectable SoundSpace (bass,treble, volume) on the Halo is very nice but ancient on the Linx.

Storing a locations settings is similar on both but the Linx does not store the bass and treble settings.

The Linx asks you if you want to switch to a stored program. Isn’t that why I stored it?

The location maps and pictures are also quite nice on the Halo but not available on the Linx.

Both companies need to have a serious conversation with Mr. & Mrs. Apple.

Making a cell phone call with the hearing aids is nice but you need to talk to the phone to be heard.

If I understand the guy at the Apple store right, if I want to use my phone while driving, and be legal, I need to use my old Bluetooth headset and not use my new hearing aids, at least in one ear while making a phone call.

That makes allot of sense!

Some sort of indication of an incoming call in the hearing aids would also be a bonus.

On a side note, I talked with a couple of people that do software development and they have expressed an interest in making an app that could potentially work with either hearing aid.

So maybe in the future, if Resound, Starkey and others will permit it we can have a more flexible app.

I have the Halo and Bluetooth in my truck. It is set so that when it is in the truck, the phone calls go through the truck’s system and not the HA. I really like the ability to use the HA to do phone work in my office or at home, but it needs a pretty quiet environment the way I have it set up. In the truck, I prefer the calls going through the sound system.

With the Halo, you can tell the HA to shut off outside sounds or not when streaming. IANAL, but would think that if the outside sounds are coming through, you would be legal. Certainly will depend on state laws where you live.

The law is pretty strict here in Ontario. Handheld devices are a no-no while driving.

For now, I will continue to use the Uconnect system in our Chrysler van but it would be nice to use the aids to not have everyone hear what your talking about.

The law here in the Uk is the same, handheld and driving is a real no no.

not sure if the linx is the same as the verso 961’s that I have, but I use a Resound phone clip plus, that connects the phone to my HA. The HA work as normal and when a call comes in it puts it to the HA I can answer it and talk simply into the phone clip. I think it may be a bit like the halo unit over there in the US.
[
QUOTE=idenphones;109635]The law is pretty strict here in Ontario. Handheld devices are a no-no while driving.

For now, I will continue to use the Uconnect system in our Chrysler van but it would be nice to use the aids to not have everyone hear what your talking about.

I drive all the time with the Halo’s and the iPhone. I hope the mitigating factor is that I ONLY use the iPhone for navigation. I deny any incoming calls. With the microphones turned on while in ‘car’ mode, am completely focused on driving. Only when Siri needs to alert me of my next move does she gently cut into the normal sound. Have an iPhone dash holder so it is obvious, to me not necessarily the constables, that I’m using Siri navigation. Guess I’ll likely find out one day. Am in a fairly large city with plenty of noise. Having Siri talking directly into the aids is huge. Finding destinations is so much easier being able to always hear the directions and glance at the iPhone screen at stop lights to see my progress and ETA.

Reading the comments from this blog, it seems that you can still do true hands-free with the phone clip+

While I’m here, I’d like to please ask anyone who has personally tried the LiNX or Starkey Halo to please review their hearing aids now on Hearing Tracker. Thanks! :smiley:

After considerable testing between the Resound Linx and the Starkey Halo, I decided on keeping the Resound.

To me, the audio quality on the Resound was much better and that is what a hearing aid is all about.

The features between the two are very similar so as time goes by and especially when IOS 8 comes out, it should be interesting to see (hear) what happens with the apps and operation.

I am still fine tuning myself and the aids to get the sound that is perfect for me and one thing is a real pain with the Resound for me is the inability to save the bass and treble settings.

And, I am unable to save anything without attaching a location to that setting like you can with the Starkey.

But, like I said, they sound better to me anyhow.

— Updated —

After considerable testing between the Resound Linx and the Starkey Halo, I decided on keeping the Resound.

To me, the audio quality on the Resound was much better and that is what a hearing aid is all about.

The features between the two are very similar so as time goes by and especially when IOS 8 comes out, it should be interesting to see (hear) what happens with the apps and operation.

I am still fine tuning myself and the aids to get the sound that is perfect for me and one thing is a real pain with the Resound for me is the inability to save the bass and treble settings.

And, I am unable to save anything without attaching a location to that setting like you can with the Starkey.

But, like I said, they sound better to me anyhow.

spent time testing both side by side. when streaming, both devices have a little distortion when the ipad/iphone is on wi-fi, but not when it is on a carrier network, ATT in my case. Both devices also distort with my iPad if I am using the blue tooth keyboard.

I chose the starkey halo over the resound linx. could not descern a significant difference when using both brads, one in each ear. while there was a difference ikn tone/timber, the speech recognition & sound was comparable. It came down to fit and comfort, and the starkey held the edge for me, although battery life on the starkeys is about 3 days more as well.