Resound Hearing Aids & iPhone 12 Pro - Connection issues/static, only one working w/static etc

Hi all,
I’m writing on behalf of my partner who just purchased an iPhone 12 pro, switching from her Samsung S7.

She’s had her Resounds with mfi connected to her iPad pro using the MFI compatibility for the last year with no issue.
But with the iPhone 12 pro, when she connects them, she gets a massive amount of static from both hearing aids, and then 1 would cut out (alternates between right/left cutting out), and sometimes both just die out completely.

She’s done every possible troubleshoot option:
1.) Reset iphone network settings
2.) Reset phone to factory settings
3.) Turn off all other bluetooth devices including iPad
4.) Unpaired and re-paired them over 2 dozen times.
5.) Installed the resound app and tried changing settings, same disconnections/crackling
6.) Turned on “optimize” for iphone settings, in both resound app and within iOS settings, same issues.
7.) Changed batteries

They will simply not work correctly, and the crackling and disconnects are driving her nuts.

Does anyone else with a new iPhone 12 / Pro have any issues with hearing aids compatbility? Any resound users having the same issue? She’s worried that the phone might be defective. (however she tried airpods with it and it works flawlessly).

3 Likes

Has she tried turning off Bluetooth on her iPad?

There is a long history of multiple apple devices fighting for control of MFI hearing aids.

1 Like

Hi, yep!
She unpaired from the iPad, even turned it off completely and tried pairing again to the new phone. No difference.

10 year hearing aid user here…Same issue with iPhone 12 Pro although I came from an iPhone X. Static along with it switching alternating ears very frustrating. Tried closing all apps, etc. to no avail along with app background refresh turned off for everything. It’s not just you. This phone is going to be returned if there is no update to fix ASAP.

3 Likes

Are any of the ReSounds that are having iPhone 12 issues the Quattro? If not, which models? And has anyone tried calling either Apple or ReSound about this?

Resound Forte 862 is my model with size 13 battery. Works just fine with my iPhone X and prior phones. How frustrating with technology, but that is today’s world. I’m currently contacting Costco (Yes, this is where I got them and they’ve been completely wonderful!) to shout out to Resound to see if they are working on an update with iOS 14.1. I’ll keep you guys posted.

1 Like

Just received my iPhone 12 Pro and I have the KS 6 from Costco. It took about 3 hours of trying which included resetting network settings before the hearing aids paired. After that it was smooth sailing with no issues. I have an Tech Armor glass screen protector and an Apple clear case.

I have thought of upgrading the KS6 to something new but when I read of all the issues everyone is having connecting I just stay as is.

Note that I use the Kirkland Signature Choice app and not the ReSound app.

Good to see someone else having the same issue.
Her model of hearing aids is the ReSound LiNX 3D9

She contacted her hearing aid centre (Union in Toronto), and they said that Resound actually notified them recently that they have not completed testing and approvals for iOS14.
According to them it sounds purely software related and that Resound is working on updates to their app to help with the issue in the near future. They also mentioned that the hearing aids themselves might need a software update.

@brianklaft, thanks for checking with Costco, it will be interesting to know what you hear from that side of the fence.

@LouisInTexas, I guess it’s only some models having this issue. Good that yours are working perfectly.

I am having the same problems with my aids and the new IPhone 12.

1 Like

Which aids exactly are you referring to?

I have Oticon Open S1 and am having exact static issue with the new iPhone 12. They worked great with my previous iphone XR and never once had I experienced this static sound. I think it’s an Apple issue as some people are also reporting bluetooth connection issues (mostly with Airpods tho) with iOS 14. Really hope the next update 14.1 will address this.

1 Like

I have Resound Quattros. Upgraded from iPhone 11 Pro to iPhone 12 Pro … the bluetooth range is really diminished, often just turning my head slightly will cut out one ear. Overall more static as well. Very frustrating.

1 Like

I have Oticon Opn and I’m also having static issues with my new iPhone 12. I had zero problems with my iPhone 6 and IOS 12. I’m happy about the “Play System Sounds” option, which I activated immediately. That same day I had a few instances of static. Static always happens in only one HA and almost always the left, but a few times in the right. It happens sometimes with Notifications, starting up some Apps, typing in Notes, starting up podcasts, etc. Yesterday the Audiologist changed the transmitter in the left aid and before I left the office I had static in my right aid. Decided to wait and see before replacing the right transmitter. Today it returned exclusively to the left aid. After reading these posts I tried turning off Play System Sounds. So far no static when opening Apps, podcasts, receiving notifications, etc. Not optimistic, but hopeful this will work temporarily until fixed. I reported this issue to Apple a couple of days ago. No answer from them (like I was expecting one :slight_smile: ).

3 Likes

Same issue here with brand new regular iphone 12. Very frustrating!

2 Likes

Same issue with iPhone 12 Pro and Specsavers Advance RIC LI x 18 aids (Signia, I think). Have posted issue with Apple and Signia.

I upgraded from an iPhone X to an iPhone 12, have Oticon hearing aids and am experiencing this same issue. Obviously it is a significant problem with all hearing aids, hopefully Apple will have a fix sooner rather than later :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

New IPhone 12. New Oticon mfi. Exact same static issue. Too late to undue deal. I can live with the static on streaming videos. But it is a real problem when it happens on phone calls.

1 Like

Not sure if it helps, but my Demo set of Resound Quattro that I loaned to a customer on Friday forced a firmware update (.37 to .44) when I tried to program them. Took about 10mins on the Noah-link.

He’s not that keen on using his phone with them so I couldn’t get an evaluation, but I wondered if this was a MFi connection/protocol update.

I also have the same problem with my Oticon Opn. Nice job describing the problem. Ewe all need to report to Apple.

I just received the iPhone 12 yesterday. I’m having the same problem and I’m SO annoyed. I had no problems with the iPhone 8, now all I’m getting is static and cutting out with phone calls.