Resound for Tinnitus?

Resound has a new model supposed to have a tinnitus function. On there website I can’t find any that specifically address this. Does anyone know if this is true, which model it is, and does it work?
Thanks

The instrument you are referring to is called the ReSound Live TS (tinnitus solution). It only comes in the Live 9 circuitry (not Live 5 or Live 7) which means you are paying the most premium price of course.

Here is what ReSound claims: “The sound generator in ReSound Live TS automatically adjusts the generated sound level for any listening situation. In quiet situations, the level of generated sound increases, compensating for the lack of surrounding noise to keep focus away from tinnitus. During conversation, the sound decreases, enabling you to hear voices without distraction.”

Blah, blah, blah :cool:

I fit plenty of ReSound products and this one looked promising when it arrived. I was soon disappointed. It is essentially a hearing aid with high end circuitry and a SOUND GENERATOR that emits white noise that can be frequency modulated in an effort to mask tinnitus. Here’s the tricky part - it can be making the noise while you are being amplified also (pretty overwhelming for the brain), or be put in a program all on it’s own.

Imagine listening to amplified sound, white noise that sounds like the ocean, and your annoying tinnitus ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

If it’s in a program all on it’s own, you are basically wearing a masking device that is extremely basic and shouldn’t cost premium prices. But because they pair it with hearing aid technology, they charge premium prices.

I haven’t seen a SINGLE patient who was pleased with anything more than the hearing aid circuitry. It’s a good hearing aid, but that has nothing to do with it being a “tinnitus solution”.

Noble idea - maybe. Gimmick - YES.

dr. amy
www.montgomeryent.com

I do not see where it would help me I have ringing all of the time. I do use a sound machine at night to sleep but it is more for not having to hear the trains than my ringing. I guess after about 30 years I have learned to not to notice my ringing.
Chuck

Widex has something similar called Zen Tones. If you would like to hear the Zen tones on your PC go to the bottom of this -> (WebPage) and click the individual Zen tones.

I think I would just prefer playing some music instead of having my hearing aids play music.

Thank You Dr. Amy!!
It’s great to be able to get honest and unvarnished advice with no sales pitch attached.
I appreciate the time you take to help.

What?, Resound, gimmicks, NO! :rolleyes:

What you might not have gleaned from the above is that most binaural wearers appear to be less bothered by their tinnitus once they have a pair of hearing aids that they like. At least from our follow-up data it would seem to be the case. I’d suggest you get a pair of aids that you like the sound of best and do your own evaluation.

That’s right, some hearing aid users report temporary relief from their tinnutus by way of the amplification alone. Although, results vary widely. Some of my patients barely notice their tinnitus at all while wearing hearing aids, while others notice NO relief at all.

This is one of the many reasons why trial periods are important.

My main point was that from a hearing aid standpoint, you have just as good a shot at getting relief from regular hearing aids as you do from wearing one that claims it has a tinnitus solution.

And just remember that as Um Bongo stated, its really a matter of people being LESS BOTHERED by the tinnitus. The tinnitus will always be there, like when you take your aids off at night.

dr. amy

Hello, I’m new to the forum. I am discouraged to hear your take on the Resound TS. I attended an eight hour training course with Resound and was a bit excited to see how some of my patients would do with the TS product. I have many patients who receive enough benefit from their conventional aids, but many don’t receive any relief from their tinnitus. This is the target population for the TS. I have ordered two sets, but they have not been fit as of yet.

I have a different scenario, as I work for the VA and the prices are essentially the same, TS or not. This leaves me with the option to choose the TS without the financial concerns you had stated. I hope that the masker portion helps at least some of my veterans, as tinnitus is the number one disability in the VA at this time. I have had such a varied experience with tinnitus patients that I have realized no certain treatment is a “one size fits all” and I was hoping to add the TS to my arsenal. Hopefully, I’ll have a more positive experience with these devices. I’ll share the outcome…

Sincerely,
Dr. Smith

Don’t be discouraged - your sector might see a different result without the tie to their pocket book. And yes, because tinnitus varies so wildly.

I always get excited when new solutions come out (its the kid on christmas in me :p), but as we all know, it is rarely as good as the manufacturer boasts. Its a step in the right direction tho!

Good luck!

dr. amy

Unfortunately, listening to music is distracting and can focus the mind on the music itself. With the Zen tones, they use fractal technology that emits random, non-repetitive tones that can not be predicted. Very different than music. Takes the mind off of the tinnitus without putting the mind on the music. AND it also it housed in a device that has the best technology for hearing loss. Really is amazing.

emits random, non-repetitive tones that can not be predicted”, are you talking about my wife?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dr Amy. I am new to the forum. Just today I visited my ENT for my annual hearing test and they did a visual exam as well. While waiting to be seen I saw the ad about the Resound Live TS device in Hearing Health - Summer 2010. It sounds like the Resound is a bust. I have been wearing Oticon Mini 7’s for a year and the best decision I FINALLY ever made. I hae had tinitus since '89 but don’t really bother me, but would be great to see it disappear. Only time it did was during the first 3 days I wore my hearing aids, and then it slowly came back as my brain adjusted. However, there was one more device called “The Inhibitor” made by Melmedtronics (www.tinitustreatment.com) Have you heard of this product, or had any direct hands-on experience???

I have tinnitus too … I hear all kinds of noises that aren’t there … ringing, tones, and so on. I noticed way back when I first started using hearing aids that when I have them in, I do not hear the “other sounds.” When I go to bed at night, I do hear the sounds in the quiet, though they do not seem to be quite as bad as before I wore aids … or at least that appears to be the case. I also find myself more deaf without the aids in … before aids I worked to hear everything. After aids, I think my brain relaxed more, stopped struggling to hear it all. Without knowing for sure, perhaps that has something to do with the decreased tinnitus.

I have heard of it, but i don’t have any experience with it - sorry!

dr. amy

Hello Dr. Amy,
I am new to this site. I was wondering if you could provide a list of all the combined hearing instrument and noiser (white noise generator) devices on the market.

I currently wear Siemens Prisma TCI hearing aids / white noise generators. This is my second set. I love them! They work wonderfully. Unfortunately the nubbins / earhooks are worn and they are falling apart. :frowning: I need to get a new pair or get these repaired (although Siemens tells me there are no parts available). Therefore I am trying to find out what is available these days. Thank you!

Regards,
Jim

Well Siemens may not repair them for you, but if you really want them repaired, there are other manufacturers who will repair them for you (for a charge, of course).

But if you are looking for newer aids, there are the Resound Live 9 TS, Widex Mind 220 and 330 series. I’m not familiar with others that provide amplification AND a masker - maybe other professionals know of any others??

dr. amy

I have the new ReSound Live 9 with TSG (Tinnitus Sound Generator). I am new to hearing aids, but have had tinnitus for about 30 + years. The tinnitus is ALWAYS present. Sometimes it seems louder, like when I am in a quite environment, etc. as opposed to watching television, listening to music, or having dinner with a group in a fairly loud restaurant. In noisy environments, the tinnitus is subdued to some degree, and not as annoying.

The hearing aid that I have been wearing for about 6 weeks produces a small amount of white noise, like a static buzz, or a am/fm radio which is tuned away from a specific station. That might not make much sense, but try to changed your radio dial from one station to another slowly and you reach a point where all you get is static… that’s the sound I am trying to describe. I can change the hearing aid sound options by pushing a button (top of hearing aid) to 1) hearing aid only, 2) hearing aid and TSG (white noise sound), or 3) just the TSG.

So far, I like them. Even in a quite setting, when the tinnitus would otherwise be annoyingly loud, the TSG feature provides me with that small amount of sound that appears to mask the tinnitus. The hearing aids won’t cure the tinnitus, but can mask it similar to listening to music, or that white noise on the radio I mentioned above. I’d encourage anyone who needs a hearing aid and also has tinnitus to consider one with this type of masking feature… at least try it. I believe a number of companies have this or something similar to it in their product line.

One more thing - hearing aids are expensive. I don’t think I would spend a couple thousand dollars for just the TSG feature for tinnitus. However, if you already need new hearing aids, this technology might be worth looking in to.

Best wishes.

I have had my Resound Tinnitus Masker Hearing Aid (Resound Live 9) for over a year now. My issues are a “dead” ear in one ear due to a virus, loss of balance, and this resulting in very loud tinnitus. I believe that this masker/hearing aid has helped me quite a bit, particularly in social settings in which there were many conversations going on at once, the conflicting noise can be overwhelming and shut down my hearing completely. It’s certainly not a cure but I feel it has helped me in these type of settings. Prior to this, I would become completely exhausted the day after my exposure and my tinnitus became a lot louder after this exposure. I began to avoid social settings. I have researched other modalities, like the tinnitus maskers that play music, but the price is cost prohibitive, insurance does not cover this because it’s a masker not a hearing aid, plus you can not easily wear the masker. My insurance paid for this device 100% (united healthcare). Otherwise, I would not have been able to try this device. I hope this helps you.

[quote=dr.amy;36323]The instrument you are referring to is called the ReSound Live TS (tinnitus solution). It only comes in the Live 9 circuitry (not Live 5 or Live 7) which means you are paying the most premium price of course.

Here is what ReSound claims: “The sound generator in ReSound Live TS automatically adjusts the generated sound level for any listening situation. In quiet situations, the level of generated sound increases, compensating for the lack of surrounding noise to keep focus away from tinnitus. During conversation, the sound decreases, enabling you to hear voices without distraction.”

Blah, blah, blah :cool:

I fit plenty of ReSound products and this one looked promising when it arrived. I was soon disappointed. It is essentially a hearing aid with high end circuitry and a SOUND GENERATOR that emits white noise that can be frequency modulated in an effort to mask tinnitus. Here’s the tricky part - it can be making the noise while you are being amplified also (pretty overwhelming for the brain), or be put in a program all on it’s own.

Imagine listening to amplified sound, white noise that sounds like the ocean, and your annoying tinnitus ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

If it’s in a program all on it’s own, you are basically wearing a masking device that is extremely basic and shouldn’t cost premium prices. But because they pair it with hearing aid technology, they charge premium prices.

I haven’t seen a SINGLE patient who was pleased with anything more than the hearing aid circuitry. It’s a good hearing aid, but that has nothing to do with it being a “tinnitus solution”.

Noble idea - maybe. Gimmick - YES.

dr. amy

:cool:I recently got one of these to try from my audiologist. My Tinnitus is usually around 5400 hz with lower harmonics; it’s gotten so strong lately that it’s fatiguing. Having the white noise set to a wide bandwidth with manual volume and slow pulse distracts my sense of hearing from the tinnitus while it’s on.
The idea behind using the HA is to retrain your brain to not focus on the Tinnitus. You keep the white noise at maybe a little lower volume than the Tinnitus - just enough to distract your attention. That definitely works for me - it reduces my perception of the Tinnitus. The goal is to become less dependent on the white noise, until you can just use it as a hearing aid - That part I’ll have to wait and see about.
Maybe it’s just placebo effect, but I do notice that the dial tone in that ear seems a little less obnoxious without the HA.
It’s definitely something worth checking out. By the time my trial is over, I may not need it, LOL!!:slight_smile: