ReSound - compare Linx2 and Linx3D

Hello,
I’m just in the process what HA to choose. Now I have Widex Fusion 440 for almost 6 years and there are some problems with them and I don’t want to spend money for repairs but buy a new one. Maybe I’ll try Widex Beyond but not sure if I stay with Widex (yes, I have TV-DEX and COM-DEX which can be used with Beyond - a small plus for Widex).

Thought I’m quite satisfied with Widex I preffer to choose another brand. I found ReSound Linx2 and Resound Linx3D interesting. There’s a problem that ReSound Linx3D is not on sale here (yet). I got an information from my audiologist that Linx3D has just software upgrade in compare with Linx2. So my question is - is it true? I’m studying all datasheets about these HA and on paper it looks very similar. But I really don’t believe that hardware is the same - at least Linx2 is for almost two years older device. And two years in processors area is an eternity…

I know there’s a big change in the logic of tuning Linx3D. But I don’t plan to use remote tuning as I can visit my audiologist if needed. Remote tuning is not a plus for me.

Does anyone know what is different inside the HA? I really don’t want to buy two years old model for next 5-6 years.

A little off topic: As I don’t like Apple than “Made for iPhone/iPad” is not important for me. I thought the new Phonak Audeo Direct will be great deal with advertised direct connectivity to Android. But from my point of view is the Phonak’s solution for Android very poor. Why? From what I found - no streaming, phone calls to one HA only. Sure, better than nothing but from my point of view it’s not a full solution. Any experiences with Phonak to Android direct connection here?

Thanks a lot.

Jaroslav

That’s because the Phonak Audeo-B Direct lacks the Bluetooth A2DP support which is required to receive CD quality stereo audio from the phone’s music or video apps where these apps uses the A2DP protocol to transmit the audio data.

Why doesn’t it have it? Probably because it requires higher energy than the hearing aid battery can sustain. The same reason why all other HA mfgs chose to use an intermediate neck streamer with enough battery power to sustain and support A2DP. The same reason why most other BT A2DP supporting receivers (like BT headphones/headsets) only last for hours and not days before requiring to be recharged.

Phonak uses a low energy chip from Sonova called the SWORD chip to to bypass A2DP support and manage the phone mono audio directly at the expense of supporting nothing else due to lack of A2DP. Other HA mfgs would rather use the full solution which is an A2DP supported neck streamer, at the expense of having to use a neck streamer.

Although the Audeo-B Direct avoids a neck streamer for phone calls, it still requires a TV streamer hard wired to the source for music and audio. If your TV has Bluetooth, which would you rather use? A wireless neck streamer to listen to the TV or a wired TV streamer to listen to the TV? You can then also listen wirelessly to you BT-enabled laptop/PC/tablet/smart phone with a neck streamer as well -> can’t do that wirelessly with a wired-connected TV streamer.

On what platform are your current Widex? Clear? The change from Clear to Dream was pretty significant for the user. The Beyond is built on th the Unique platform about which I’ve heard excellent reviews. If you already have the dex accessories, have you trialed either the Unique Fusion 440 or the Beyond 440? For highest end models, the price should be fairly comparable.

Or is there a particular reason you’re considering the Linx?

I have the Linx2. They are great. But I’m big into the iPhone connectivity personally just love it.

I do know the Linx2 are not good with moisture. One crapped okut on me recently due to sweat. I have heard the 3D fixes that problem. My aud seems ok for a swap out so I’ll report back.

Related: Compare the ReSound LiNX 3D RIE 62 9 with the ReSound LiNX2 RIE 62 9

1 Like

I would also like to know if there is much difference between the Linx2 and Linx 3D, other than the remote tuning. I am a self programmer so i will not be using the remote tuning feature.

Looking at the above link, the only difference for me would be Binaural Directionality II vs Binaural Directionality III. I’m just wondering if this is more of a marketing gimmick to sell the new product.

Would like to hear from anyone who has tried both.

There is a white paper on binaural directionality iii but I’m not at my computer so you might need to Google it.

I’m running Widex Fusion 440 on the Clear platform. And yes - my plan is to try Widex Beyond 440 also. Maybe I’ll be so happy so I’ll stay on Widex. As I wrote - DEX accessories is a small plus. I’m quite happy with Widex - at least they work for years without any significant problems. I’m much more happy with them than I was with Siemens or Interton in past (both Siemens and Interton died few days after the warranty expired).

No. But I would like to buy the best available here and at the moment. At the moment is the best offer Linx3D (not available here) and I don’t believe that Linx2 is the same hardware with addition remote tuning. Anyway - I don’t want to buy two years old model. I believe there must be a hardware change between Linx2 and Linx3D. Next plus for Linx2/Linx3D are CIC/ITC models. I need the strongest HA available and only ReSound sell them. All other manufactures have BTE/RITE models only. I want to try CIC/ITC models because I never had them in past. On other side - CIC/ITC models have a limited features set if I compare them with BTE/RITE models. I tried also Opticon OPN1 but no available device for Android streaming/calls is not acceptable for me.

Good to know. I have problem with a sweat - especially on the left ear (don’t know why but my left HA always have problems with sweat). Plus for Widex Beyond and other HA is that they offer IP68. I thing ReSound Linx2/3D has IP58 only.

OK, I have had the 3D version in now for a few hours, here is what I noticed:

• They have been programmed with the same parameters as my Linx2 and they sound quite a bit clearer in general.
  • There is no more “Party” mode, and the software swapped my party setting for a 2nd restaurant setting.
  • I haven’t tried them in a noisy place yet, so no thoughts there.
  • I lost my favorites from the older Smart app, no surprise
  • The new Smart 3D app is more feature rich (e.g., now have a mid control in Music) but the interface is smaller and less intuitive. Red type on black background, other interface no no’s that weren’t in older app. Badly designed in general
  • Music seems to sound richer, more on that later.
1 Like

Just stumbled on this video about binaural directionality iii

THANKS! This is exactly what I want to hear - some real experiences…
I’m sure it will be great if you write some short overview after few days with Linx 3D.

The one situation that doesn’t seem to work well with Resound’s Binaural Directionality III and the Linx3D occurs when you are in a noisy environment and the person you are talking to is seated beside you. This scenario typically happens at a restaurant but I first noticed it when I was sitting on a park bench chatting with someone in downtown NYC. Voice on one side and loud noise on the other. Turning to face the speaker helps but Phonak’s Stereozoom Was more effective by broadcasting the voice signal from one side to the other ear. It could be that the Linx3D is narrowing the microphone focus on the side of the person speaking in a forward direction due to the loud noise and that’s why turning to face the person helps. Next time this happens, I will play with the microphone focus settings in the iPhone app to see if there is a way to manually improve speech comprehension for this situation. Being able to experiment a bit with the settings via the app is definitely a very strong selling point for Linx3D.

Keep posting comments.

Jordan

Jordan- in part based on your posts I have ordered a pair of Resound Forte from Costco. For the past 4 years I have worn the KS6 which is similar to the Resound Verso.

I have downloaded and experimented with both the LInx2 AND Linx3 apps. They are both pretty advanced in comparison to the Resound Control app I currently use.

I think that the incremental functionality present in the Lynx 3 app is significant. You can experiment with various levels of noise reduction / directionality / base / mid range / treble, etc. to see what works best for you- real-time in your actual environment- and then save those settings as a user defined custom program. So if you think you need more noise reduction or speech focus, you can try it out and see if it helps or hurts!

Jordan- in the situation you describe, the Resound software should set both aids to omni-directional. Since the Resound aids don’t send the actual speech signal to each other, I think you are correct with your Phonak comparison. Resound has a “white paper” on Binaural Directionality III in the professional area of their website. For me It is a little bit of a tough read.

I’ll download the paper and have a look. I think if I understood better how Binaural Directionality works, it will be easier to work with the App and my audiologist to tweak the settings. I do realize that nothing is perfect. That being said, the Resound Linx3D hearing aids are excellent and I’m still very pleased with my purchase. The really tight iPhone integration and the App (i.e. ability to adjust the sound and create your own custom programs) are what makes these hearing aids better than the competition. Plus…they deliver extremely clean sound for voice/music and the All Around automatic mode does a very good job in 95% of my listening environments. As usual, its noisy situations that are the biggest challenge.

Wondering is anyone has any feedback on the Outdoor program. Curious what its good for. Also curious if anyone actually uses the Geotag feature in the App that tells the hearing aids to switch to a particular program when your iPhone says you are at a certain GPS location on the map. I still haven’t experimented with that feature yet.

Jordan

Outdoor is used for wind noise.