Resound Cala 8 RIE: First Impressions

The PhoneClip+ should work with any bluetooth device. I use mine with my cell phone, office phone, desktop computer, laptop, and tablet. I have also used it with the bluetooth transmitter built into the Dish Network Hopper, but I use the TV transmitter for that now. I think the pro is probably talking about using the app directly from a Samsung Galaxy to the hearing aids, without the PhoneClip+. The app is supposed to work that way for control purposes but it will not stream that way. With the PhoneClip+ it should work with all devices.

My phone does!

I have been wearing the Cala 8 RIE 619 (312 battery) HA version for a week now. I am quite impressed with them (even with the initial settings) as compared to the KS 6 HAs which I wore for over five months (and probably 5 adjustments by Audiologist).

I believe that the spacial sense and directionality features of the Cala 8 are valuable and have improved my hearing cognition.

One additional surprise benefit of the Cala 8’s is that the first set of 312 batteries lasted 6 1/2 days vs approximately 3 1/2 days average with the KS 6’s.

What is RIE? Is 619 a model designation?

RIE stands for “Receiver in Ear”, also known in industry as “RIC - Receiver in Canal”.

“61” is Resound’s smallest hearing aid where the electronic package goes behind the ear (and the receiver in the ear -RIE). It uses the 312 battery.
“9” designates Resound’s highest feature level for this HA. There are also lower feature levels (5 and 7) that are not offered by Costco in this “Cala 8” branding of the Resound Linx 2 product offering. For more info see Resound’s website.

Hope this helps.

thanks!
. . . . . . . .

thats interesing , Do you use bluetooth streaming for music as well on Cala ?

I don’t do music streaming, but I watch news videos and do lots of Bluetooth phone calls.

thats really nice, so the cala may have less battery consumption while using bluetooth as well.

I purchased the Cala 8 RIE with the size 13 battery. The HAS gave them to me with the tulip domes and a size 1 length receiver wire into the ear canal. (HAS mentioned I may be between a 1 and 2 length.) I tried to wear them for two days and had to give up until I can get back to Costo. They are so uncomfortable to the point of pain in my ear canals on both sides. It is almost as if the metal of the rectangular speaker part that is partially covered by the dome is pressed against my canal because the receiver wire is too short. Or it is the tulip domes that are too large. I was disappointed that the HAS gave me the tulip domes because the stuffed feeling is what I hated so much about my in the canal hearing aids (CIC) of 15 years ago and why I stopped wearing them. The HAS recommended the tulip domes to help amplify the soft tones.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem with the receiver piece that goes in the ear?

Do I really need the tulip domes for my hearing loss?

On a side note, I love the streaming feature of the Cala 8. I watch a lot of educational videos on my iPad and it is fantastic to be able to stream the sound without being attached to a set of earbud headphones.

You might be able to wear the open fit, if feedback can be avoided. It will change the quality of the streaming. Until you can get back, try taking scissors and cut slits in the dome to reduce pressure.

You should be fine with the regular open domes, but tulips may give you slightly better sound because it is keeping in more of the lower frequencies. It is really up to you. Feedback should not be a problem as long as they run the feedback manager.

A quick stop into Costco, and replaced the size 1 receiver tube for a size 2. Definitely better as there is no more downward pressure on top of the ear and the receiver can go into the canal more. It is probably a half size to long but we will see at my next longer appointment if anything can be done about that.

HAS also gave me two different sizes of open domes in addition to the tulip domes. The tiniest is the most comfortable in the ear but because of the length of the receiver tube does tend to slide up higher into the canal. Going to get use to these for a few days and then go up to the next size to see if that helps. Quality of streaming does seem to be impacted with the smaller open domes as KenP mentioned. But great to be back to streaming without wires!

Thanks for the help KenP and Don.

With the clip will this pair with my TV’s Bluetooth?

Yes, should work fine. I paired my Phone Clip+ to the Dish Network Hopper built in bluetooth and it worked fine. I eventually ended up with the Resound TV transmitter and it does work very well and I recommend it, but it is pricey, especially if you already have a bluetooth solution.

Thanks - I have tried it several times with no luck.

What does the manual for the TV say about pairing? You may have to enter pairing codes on the TV.

It never gives me that option.

Could the problem be the type of profile? My TV does the following profiles.

HID
HOGP
3DSP
SPP

Your user guide for the TV is the place to consult for pairing. It should detail what is needed. If you lost it, you can download it from the manufacturer’s site.

I tried my HA on a TV in my bedroom and it paired right away. I also tried to pair something else to the Sony (living room) and it would not pair. So something is up with the Sony TV. I have checked the manual and I am doing exactly what it says to do. I have also reached out to a audio/video forum concerning the bluetooth setup for the Sony.

Could another bluetooth device interfere with the pairing? I have a wireless bluetooth security system with the main control in the living room.