Resound alera 9 pricing

Hello everybody,

I am new on this forum.
I am moderately severe hearing impaired and I have been using HA for the last ten years. It was time for to change of hearing aids by having a more technological advance devise.
I met with an audiologist who tends to have a good reputation and he quoted me for Alera 9 Resound BTE $6000.00 for the pair plus an additional $200.00 “non refundable” fitting fee.
I was a little bit surprised by the pricing.
Is it a fair price? Is it way above the market price?
I am living in Seattle WA

Pricing around my neck of the woods is slightly lower, but not much. Si the $200 fitting fee included in the price?? But just non-refundable?

Good luck, my patients have been very happy with the Aleras!

dr. amy

Dr Amy, thank you for your prompt reply.
The $200.00 is non-refundable which I found to be a little pushy. That’s a total of $6200.00 which includes 3 years warranty and 6 batteries only and 45 days trial.
Actually, I am trying them but I am finding the “restaurant” and “party” program to be disappointed. Do you believe this is an issue of programing or hearing aids?

If you haven’t already done so, be sure to read through several other threads on hearingaidforums.com about the Aleras (and ReSound Futures, same model sold by Costco). The price is a bit high. Your audiologist is bundling out the “fitting fee” that most audiologists include in the price of the aids in case you return them for a refund after the trial, and I don’t think that’s unfair. BUT… that price should cover all adjustment appointments you need for the first year. If that’s not the case–if there will be additional charges for adjustment appointments in the first year–I’d suggest shopping around, because then you may be getting more than a little high on total price. Many audiologists would also throw in more batteries than six at that price. A year’s supply, f’rinstance. If you use the default Bluetooth and wireless modes a lot on Alera 9s and wear them 16/7, battery life can be as short as 4 days.

The effect of restaurant mode on all aids is subtle and you will still have difficulty hearing speech in noisy restaurants or parties. You should be able to perceive a slight improvement in speech comprehension with back-and-forth switching between restaurant mode and normal mode. Remember that people with normal hearing have trouble in those settings, too. If you sense no improvement at all switching back-and-forth, you may be able to get better performance in restaurant mode with an audiologist adjustment to your restaurant mode settings. It’s normal to need 2-4 adjustment appointments to get new digital aids dialed in.

I agree with Hamjor. The price is a little high and altho I (and most) charge a fitting fee that is non-refundable, it usually is included in the price and you get the remainder back. Meaning…I thought even $6000 was slightly pricey, but $6200 is moreso. And that should definitely be a bundled price, meaning you get adjustments and other visits included for the first year, or warranty period, or lifetime.

Definitely ask for an adjustment. Most patients find the “restauraunt” program useful, but there isn’t an overhwelming difference in sound that many patients expect. I think some programming is warranted tho.

dr.amy :slight_smile:

It’s all adjustable. It may take several adjustment sessions to get it just right. I like the standard “party” better than “restaurant” but we took restaurant and tweaked it a lot, bringing up soft voices and lowering background. Plus we messed around with the compression a lot until I said “that’s it”. But you can’t tell anything in the booth. You have to get out in real life with it for a while, then go back and say this needs that, that needs this.

Re: Pricing…I actually grew up/completed grad school and practiced in the area for a few years before moving and still have friends that are working in the field there and I would say that for the Seattle market, if the $6200 (I agree most audiologist include that non-refundable fee in the $6000 but that may have changed since I left) is all-inclusive, with the 3 year warranty it’s a fair price. You might see if they can throw in more than just 6 batteries…ask for 6 months or one year of batteries. If you know for a fact you can get the same hearing aids someplace close that has better battery coverage mention that…in the big scheme of things batteries comprise a fairly small part of cost for the office and for what you are paying they can throw more than just 6 batteries in there for you. Now, if you will have to pay for services on top of that $6200 then I’d definitely see if that can be changed. For $6200 you shouldn’t have to worry about paying for services after the warranty expires, IMHO.

hope that helps

There is also an online company called Hearing Revolution, hearingrevolution.com. Their price on the alera 9 is $1995 per aid. That includes the initial fitting and a year of adjustments plus the 3 year warranty. They hook you up with an audiologist near you.

I decided not to go that route and am now trialing the Resound Futures with Costco. But I did speak with the company and went so far as to have them set up an appointment with an audiologist not too far from me.

Good luck.

If you have a Costco in your area, I recommend checking with them. I got a pair of Resound Futures through the Costco outlet in the Birmingham area in February and have been extremely pleased with both the Resound technology and the service provided by Costco’s audiologist.

I have gone through several tweakings in the Costco soundproof booth, and I find that the four settings (for regular use, restaurant, phone clip, and road noise) are now very satisfactory. Never realized how much racket those cicadas make! As for pricing, I paid just over $3,000 for the pair with a two-year warranty. You have to join Costco to participate in this program at a cost of $50, but it is worth it in my estimation.

Thank you for the advises. I will make an appointment with Costco.
I will see that the Costco aud in my area will be attentive enough to respond to my needs.
I must confess that I am a musician and therefore I tend to be extremely difficult to work with. So far, my present audiologist is kind enough to work with me and to be very patient. She told me that I was on the top of list of the “difficult” patient.

With a smile on her face I hope;)

Yes, musicians tend to be more difficult to work with because they have a more finely tuned ear, so to speak, and are more demanding of the overall sound quality of the hearing aid. When a patient tells me they are a musician I admit I cringe a little because I know that fitting them will require more on my part. :wink: Just because a patient is “difficult” doesn’t mean that you dread seeing them though…their needs just require a fitter that is really well-versed in the software of the particular hearing aid being fit.

Also, I recommend the best tech out there for musicians because it will increase the possibility of overall satisfaction with the product. Musicians just want things to sound a certain way and the high-end products are the best way to give that to them

Hello Bob, that Costco is where I go as well. My dad just went a few days ago to see Stacie and he bought the Futures also.

This is worth a fair amount of money, in my view. You need an audiologist you can work well with. I would not be quick to pitch her over the side of the boat if you’re already working well with her. She can’t match Costco’s price. She pays more for Aleras to resell to you than Costco sells Futures for.

Seems high to me for what you list. I have the Beltone version of the Alera 9’s. I paid $6000, but it includes the Remote, Bluetooth Adapter, TV Streamer, 1 year of batteries, 3 year warranty including replacement for lost or damaged (once for each aid) 1 year worth of batteries and lifetime adjustments, cleanings, domes, receivers, etc.

I had an appointment at Costco trying the future.

I have nothing against the future but I was mainly concerned about the adjustment and the Costco tech who did not seem to care a lot.
He admitted to have a tight schedule and therefore he appeared to be on the rushy side.
Honestly, I prefer pay more to have my HA well adjusted by an Audiologist who is not in rush and able to understand my needs.

BTW, I miss so much Analog hearing aids.