Resound Alera 7 questions

A few years back I tried BTE ear mold HAs. Wasn’t satisfied with their performance and returned them in the grace period.

Cut to 2011 and the technology has advanced to the point where I am going to give it another try. I have two Resound Alera 7 on order along with phone blue tooth and TV streamer. The audiologist has been very helpful and upfront about the return rates. I was told that since I currently use Sennheiser headphones I will probably be less that satisfied with the TV streamer.

My questions relate to having to return to the audiologist for tweaks. I live in the country and it’s a bit over an hour’s drive round trip to get tweaks made.

In the digital age this should not be the case. The HA’s are expensive and programming cables and software should be readily available. In the colonies at least this seems to be taboo.
</O:p
Since most HA will use the same chip set its understandable the manufacturer would limit access to firmware modifications but why limit users from changing the settings on the HA?
Does anyone know where to obtain software and cabling to access Resound Alera 7? If you know of a complete hack (firmware adjustment) I would be interested as well.

I am not trying to get over on the manufacturer. But where you spend $4.2K USD on these devices full access should be granted. Since firmware is used to unlock features for pricier models I am surprised someone does not already have a hack.

The world is what it is.

You appear to have made a unilateral decision that you have a right to obtain copyright software and use it illegally.

I suppose that if you unilaterally judge that CD music is too expensive then you will make illegal recordings.

I’m not saying that self-programming of hearing aids is an incorrect concept - but if you are so sure that you need it then why not use a legal (non GN) self-programming package or ask GN Resound for a LEGAL set of self-programming kit or take a legal/political route to obtaining the kit you want?

We all live within a legal & political framework which is designed to protect the majority.

It is an error to assume that you, as an individual, have any special rights which permit you to break the law.

If we were all to take such an approach then society would collapse rather quickly.

You can however try to persuade me otherwise … I rather like the look of my neighbour’s Lexus SUV and I really do feel that it would be of more use to me than him.

The world is what it is because we accept it as such. If we are to keep up with change we must accept that the world will not stay as it is.

My post postulated two ideas. One, the user should have control over the programming of an expensive device they have just purchased. This is not radical or even unethical.

The thinking behind this decision is to keep audiologists in the loop. To a degree I can understand the position. Once the initial programming has been accomplished I see no evil in allowing the end user to tweak the unit to their needs.

As to the second part of the post I do see ethical problems with overwriting software (firmware actually) to unlock the device. I can appreciate your position regarding this suggestion. But it ignores an important concept. The user legally paid for the device. Nothing was stolen in the process (and yes I pay for all my music and digital books).

An example from the world of internal combustion engine performance manufacturers. There is a fairly large business dedicated to hacking existing CPUs so they may be reprogrammed to suit the needs of the end user. Not only is this legal it thrives.

The proper procedure, then is to vote into government office those who would go against the corporate interests and declassify hearing aids as medical devices needing strict regulation.

The world that we live in is essentially an equilibrium brought about by balanced political, legal, moral, social and other forces.

The capitalist marketplace, the electoral system and the judicial systems all work in concert.

Despite the media’s dishonest insistence that ‘we are all individuals’ and ‘we all deserve respect’ in reality no individual has any ‘special’ place in all this … except maybe for a handful of people in the political or financial elites.

Illegal copying of hearing aid fitting software is not a major crime - and it is 99.9999999% clear that you will never be prosecuted for it.

However no amount of rationalisation will make illegal copying of copyright software a non-crime.

The OP in their very first post on this forum sought pirate copies of software : some may think that’s perfectly OK … but please let’s accept this request for what it is, and not try to make out that this is a perfectly valid legal activity.

Part of my profession is using very expensive software. I agree with ED that condoning the use of this pirated software is wrong.

However I disagree with the assertion she made that it is only 99.xxx enforced. Some companies WILL go after you with every resource they have, I’ve seen the results personally. Not a place I want to be.

There are no secrets on the internet. Open source is a great idea and a lot of industries are moving in that direction for obvious reasons. Don’t make the mistake assuming you can openly request this in an open forum and not expect consequences. I know someone that recieved a visit from a US Marshall and did some time for his deeds. Bankruptcy did not discharge his significant financial obligations when he got out.

Tread very carefully, anonymity is a joke on the 'net.

She knows this and may have given evidence in such a case…:wink:

HI YOUR ARE RIGHT ,resound alera has 3 models all models look same but features are locked in the same chip.its only pure business with this hearing impaired people in the world, no company helps in solving these problem,
software is pirated all around world dealers get free software from companys as they are ment to do programming only, even you can buy software and tune yourself if you have some programming idea and good experience,alera 761 is wireless programming the airlink may cost u around 400$ with software.
so try it ,all the best

She knows this and may have given evidence in such a case…

Yep, I have been cross examined by a team of the top 4 or 5 lawyers in the US.

Twelve painful hours, with videotape crew, court typist, the works.

Not an experience I would care to repeat.

They knew more about me than I did myself … very scary indeed.

And I was just a neutral witness.

Imagine being a guilty party with these hounds on your case. No chance of coming out in one piece.

Don’t even think of crossing a big corporation … they have the resources to shred your reputation, career, finances - and thus probably your marriage & family.

Curious. If I follow your links, I thought you were a “he”.

Curious. If I follow your links, I thought you were a “he”.

I am!

However if certain posters here have unusual phantasies, what can I do?

True.

Sorry I “outed” you with the picture. I can delete it, if you wish.

I was just confused, that’s all.

I see that a sense of humor and not taking oneself seriously go a long ways here! :smiley:

E.D. is a guy … OK! :cool:

PLEASE READ:
After I have spent $4.2K USD for HA I expect to be able to modify the settings at a reasonable cost.
Let’s get a few terms straight.
I never asked for pirated software. I ask if the programming software was available. There is a huge difference in purchasing programming software and buying pirated software. So get off your high horse on this one.
I did ask if anyone has hacked the chip. Hacking a chip is not illegal. Selling to software to hack a chip is not illegal. It is routinely done in the world of motorsports. The boogey man does not descend on those who reverse engineer.
The only remotely evil thing I have proposed is overwriting firmware to obtain full functionality.

So lighten up with the end of society malarkey. Hacking has, and will continue to be mechanism to reduce prices.
Pirating, the evil of evils, as also done a great deal of good in reducing software prices. The short story. Way back before just anyone could use a computer software was very expensive. So expensive that pencil necked geeks would hack the anti-piracy stuff and distribute the software for free.
A war ensued between the evil hackers and the noble software engineers. The hacker got smarter but the software engineers did them one better. They lowered the price of the software where it was no longer in anyone’s interest to spend the time to hack it.

Now software costs are quite reasonable. Bottom line, if the price is reasonable more people will buy it and you will make more money.

If the price is unreasonable or unavailable someone will pirate it.