ReSound aids for bilateral cookie bite / mid frequency loss?

I have an audiology appointment coming up in a little over a week. I’ve spoken to this new audiologist a couple times over the phone in preparation for the appointment. She mentioned my trialing Resounds. Does anyone in this forum have Resounds for a mid frequency/ cookie bite loss? The only brand I have experience with is Widex. I’m curious how these brands compare. Anyone with any input around the Resound brand?

Being happy with your fitter is most important.
My thoughts are Resound, Oticon, Widex, Starkey, Siemens, Rexton and Phonak are all good aids. Costco has good aids and great service if that is available to you.

Cookie bite hearing losses can be challenging. A fitter with that experience is best.
Sharing your audiogram would be beneficial for us to help you.

2 Likes

Happy to share the new audiogram when I get it. Is it relatively easy to attach to my profile? I do find it helpful when I read other’s posts.

The loss is the worst in the mid frequencies where it dips to moderately-severe. This loss has gotten worse over time so it may have changed slightly. So far, my loss has been relatively stable but with some change as the years wear on. I’m really hoping for a better audiologist and HA experience this go around. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

My hearing loss started out as a classic cookie bite loss and over the years I am losing some of my lows and a lot of my highs. I have struggled to be able to understand what is being said. But to be honest as I have lost my high frequencies my hearing without aids has gotten worse but my hearing with aids has improved. Every Audi I have ever had has told me that cookie bite hearing loss is very challenging. Just in the last few months I have found out that cookie bite hearing loss is a hereditary hearing loss. So more than likely other in your family have this loss or your ancestors did.

1 Like

Yup, I’m aware there’s a genetic component to the cookie bite loss but to my knowledge there’s no other family member with the loss. Maybe my grandfather had it but he’s been gone for over 20 years and there’s no way I can be certain. For now it’s a mystery. I wish I knew more about it. Unfortunately when I was diagnosed there wasn’t much information available.

1 Like

At the top of this page find and click “Forum”
There you will find “My Hearing Test”.
Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining. I’ll update with my audiogram next week. And I’ll take all the good vibes heading into this appointment. Thanks!

2 Likes

I tried resound after many years of Widex as dispenser favoured the brand. It sounded very sharp and not comfortable for me after the Widex sound. Speech was okay sometimes but everything was brittle sounding without the comfort and enjoyment I get with Widex. Not sure where you live but if you want to try Widex with experienced fitters, Bloom Hearing are great as they have a thorough knowledge of the products and train fitters through audiology routes rather than sales. My hearing loss is easily accommodated with the Evoke 440 custom IPs.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! I want to try a new audiologist and it does happen that she favors the Resound brand. My last audiologist favored Widex. And although the sound is natural and comfortable enough, I wasn’t able to get enough speech understanding which is my primary need with a mid frequency loss. After several appointments to tone down the sounds that seemed to interfere with speech, I never was truly happy with the Widex Dream HAs or the audiologist. I’ll go to my appointment and give Resound a try for comparison’s sake. Hoping the new audiologist has other HA brands as well. If there’s one thing I know now, it’s that I’ll try different aids and audiologists if I need to before making a purchase. Thanks for the recommendation for Bloom Hearing. I’ll look them up. I’m in the Baltimore, MD area.

1 Like

Keep us posted with how you get on. The only time I struggled with Widex was when the dispenser hadn’t set them up right. My son has the F2’s as well and with custom tips and correct set up of sensogram, vent selection and feedback calibration we get very high speech comprehension. I know it’s really frustrating when that doesn’t happen. The 440 Evokes are brilliant for me for speech in noise, streaming etc. See how you go with the resounds, and hopefully you will find some other options if needed. As Bloom just do Widex you know you get the experience with it and as we know that is very important! Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks so much! Just looked at the Bloom providers near me and it happens that my former audiologist fell under the Bloom umbrella. There’s always the option to go back there and see a different audiologist. I had felt it was a good practice and that my old audiologist was knowledgeable. Maybe she and I weren’t a good fit, or the cookie bite loss is complex to program. It had been disheartening to return to get the aids adjusted and never hear much of a difference between the settings. Overall they helped me but not enough to feel happy with them. I’ll keep the Evokes in mind. And I’ll definitely update this thread after my appointment.

1 Like

Following up. I had my audiology appointment today. My hearing loss has not gotten worse so that was a tremendous relief! Trialing Signia Styletto. Follow up appointment next week.

1 Like