Resound absolutely stunned. RANT

I have the Phonak Audeo M 90 Rs. I was fortunate enough that my health insurance combined with a hearing aid benefit through my employer covered the full cost. So, I really can’t say if the charging unit was separate or not.

1 Like

You can apply the same logic to HA’s powered by disposables. The HA is sold with a 3-year warrranty but does the sales price include 3 years of disposable batteries? Can’t operate any HA without its batteries yet those are always sold as extras. What a ripoff! You mean the disposables are an extra not included in the HA sales price?!! What the H----?!

Somehow I figured out that the charger didn’t come with my Quattro’s and I would have to pay extra for it before I ever went to the audi to sign a contract. I decided that I liked the rechargeables better than the disposables. I wasn’t duped into buying and suffered no surprise or sticker shock. I could have decided to buy the disposable battery-powered version instead. I did think that it was silly not to include the charger as part of the sales price and up the sales price if ReSound deemed that necessary and let the market decide on that basis.

All the complaints about what an overpriced device the charger is: I imagine most of you folks don’t sell your services cheap when you work or were working. Talented folks who deserve to be richly rewarded for your highly honed skill set. Yet we all expect cheap electronic devices to be made in China by “slave” labor. This is not a highly mass-produced item selling in the tens of millions, hundreds of millions, billons like Android phones or iPhones. It’s something probably a few million people are going to buy-or at most a few tens of miilions. Someone has to pay for a factory, the manufacturing equipment, the people who designed it, tested it, and make it, package it, ship it, distribute it. And they all like to earn big fat salaries as much as possible, just like the rest of us.

So yes, I’m sure there is an incredible markup. But a lot of folks happily buy iPhones and don’t seem to begrudge Apple the 40% to 45% profit it makes on each device sold. As long as we’re into conspiracy theories, how about all the collusion between HA OEM’s and Apple to force you to buy an iPhone to get decent direct connectivity with your HA’s and make Apple rich that way?

There’s a lot more that’s wrong with the world than ReSound charging $100 or $200 extra beyond cost for a charging battery pack designed to wirelessly charge its premium HA’s. Maybe the energy spent on ranting about a trinket item could be better invested on changing more serious stuff that’s wrong with the world instead.

7 Likes

Surprised to hear that the — excellent! — charging case was not included by your audiologist. I’m sure they do have the option of bundling everything together. My Quattro 9 Rechargeables did come with the charger, and all at a great price. Paid online but fitted by a wonderful local audi who did such a superb setup that, even though I’m a first-time wearer, I’ve never even need to go back to him after about 4 months of use at this point. The performance of the Quattro is nothing short of phenomenal. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Here is where I got the Quattros and the referral to a great local audi:
https://www.ziphearing.com/hearing-aids/resound/linx-quattro-rechargeable/linx-quattro-rechargeable-9

2 Likes

Sure, we could focus on more important things, like how there are many, many people out in the world that would have completely different lives with hearing aids, but could never in their lifetime afford them because of the exorbitant amount of money the manufacturers charge. We are a select few that are fortunate enough to either have the RARE insurance plan that helps with the cost or are well off enough to thrown down $7-8,000 for these devices. I believe that people should get paid for the work they do and the products they make, but I don’t believe in taking advantage of people in a desperate situation. I would love and hope to see the day when these devices drop to a 40% mark up.

2 Likes

could focus on more important things, like how there are many, many people out in the world that would have completely different lives with hearing aids, but could never in their lifetime afford them because of the exorbitant amount of money the manufacturers charge.

I believe you are :100: right
If it was not for the Starkey foundation Hear Now Program I would not have my aid
I am disabled and have a wife and daughter we live on $870 a month so there is no funds for a big purchase like that all I can do to make my copays for us to see a doctor
I know I read a lot about people not being crazy for Starkey products but am very thankful for what I have

2 Likes

If it wasn’t for the fact that I served my country at the right time in history, and my hearing loss is also service related I wouldn’t be able to have my hearing aids either. Being retired now there just isn’t that much money available for them. And I haven’t ever been fortunate enough to have insurance that would pay anything to hearing issues

2 Likes

I briefly considered a rechargeable HA on my first purchase from Costco a few years ago, but went with the 312 model and have stuck with it on subsequent purchases.

I find the 312s quite convenient as I can either place a couple batteries in a key fob that comes at no charge from Zenipower. The trick for longer life batteries is to remove the cover of the battery and let them sit for a few minutes before putting them in the HAs. This allows them to ‘breath’ and take in more air as these are air batteries.

As for the cost of rechargeables vs. 312s my cost for these purchased from Amazon is fifteen bucks for 60 batteries. Do the math and you will find that it will take a while before you will have the rechargeable HAs extra cost with additional cost for the chargers equal out. And what if the internal battery of the rechargeable battery goes kaput? What then?

The one accessory that I purchased for my KS7s was a bluetooth necklace for the HA. It allows me to ramp the volume up or down easily w/o messing with the teeny HA volume buttons (which in my case don’t even work anymore) - might be time to look into the KS8 or maybe wait until the KS9s come out.

Anyways I think these so called rants are just a bunch of nitpicking. Everyone has a choice when purchasing a HA and then accept what you got and don’t complain. Just do due diligence.

1 Like

The first audi I worked with included just about everything in his price. When I wanted an EasyTek, he gave it to me. When I wanted a transmitter for my laptop, he gave me that too. Moulds were also included. The guy I’m working with now barely includes anything. Just depends where you go, and you need to find these things out ahead of time.

1 Like

Yup, we just bundle the charger within the price. It means the purchase of one aid is a bit more expensive but that’s the case here anyway as one aid doesn’t preclude 50% of the fitting/review/testing time…

1 Like

You wouldn’t pick up a new car without being supplied with the keys to the ignition or a full tank of gas. They’re part of the purchase price, and you couldn’t drive the vehicle off the lot without them. Same difference–rechargeable hearing aids should come with the charger as part of the price. You can’t charge or use them without one. End of my rant. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree 100%. I just don’t see the point of singling out ReSound’s rather trivial charger pricing scheme as something deserving of special criticism when the whole overall point is that HA’s are terribly expensive. For example, a happy Marvel owner noting that they didn’t have to pay extra for their charger when they probably rushed out and plunked down a bundle to get the latest and greatest tech while it was hot out of the factory.

I’m looking forward to over-the-counter hearing aids and hoping that it makes the devices more of a mass market item and by helping to create economies of scale and additional competitors brings the price of HA’s down to where more people can afford it and helps eliminate charging extra for necessary “accessories.” But since a lot of us didn’t buy the most basic HA we could find at Costco or ZipHearing or wherever but were glad to have insurance and anted up a high price to get premium tech, maybe we are part of the problem and knocking or knocking off a few hundred dollar “accessory” is focusing on a small part of the tail of the elephant, not the elephant. That’s what seems silly.

P.S. and the best way to make ReSound get the point that you don’t like the charger pricing scheme is to buy the 312 version instead or buy some other brand and let ReSound know. Don’t buy the rechargeable version and support the pricing scheme. But I don’t get “I bought it and I don’t like it” - hopefully anyone who decided to get the Quattro’s realized ahead of time, price of disposable batteries aside, it was going to cost them extra and found a reason to justify the extra cost.

1 Like

Hmmm–I hadn’t considered that–good point.

0 Likes

I’m an audiologist who ran a practice for 35 years. Sold it. Retired. And I opened a mobile hearing aid service last year.

Here is some input from the AUDIOLOGIST’S point of view.

When I was practicing , we sold a lot of batteries. And while we didn’t make a fortune on them, it did provide a revenue/profit stream that does not exist with rechargeable. As a business man, that needs to be taken into account.

Secondly, like lots of electronic stuff, there are ALWAYS glitches in new stuff. Case in point, when Oticon introduced their rechargeable, the battery contacts on the bottom of the battery case often didn’t make sufficient contact with the charger contacts and there were ( are ) a lot of unhappy consumers. ( and rightly so ).

Well, Oticon came up with a newly designed battery door with more substantial contact areas so this will fix the problem ( I think ).

However, it has also imposed upon the audiologist the time demands to replace all those battery doors. At no cost. So, when an audiologist is setting up his/her cost/price structures, these kinds of things have to be taken into account.

When we buy the aids from the mfg, we are charged extra for the charger. Again, as a business man, this has to be factored in. Either include it with the aids and take a smaller profit. Or up the price of the aids to include the charger. Or charge separately for the charger.

All of the above options have their pros and cons.

3 Likes

Perhaps Oticon did not pick such a great design making a rechargeable that actually required contacts. My ReSounds recharge wirelessly. I wonder how much “unpaid” busy work HA providers have to do with users who somehow figure a way to screw their disposable battery doors, snap them off or whatever.

I think the technology for rechargeable Marvels, Quattro’s, and probably the Widex fuel cell is far beyond the early Model T days but I imagine blacksmiths yukked it up quite a bit pointing out all the foolishness and stupidity of wanting to own an early Ford car.

Probably no HA OEM provides a table of what’s likely to fail on an HA and to avoid the equivalent of an HA “antennagate,” providers and OEM’s probably provide very little feedback on what went wrong. The rechargeable aspect of my Quattro’s is still going strong but after about 5 months of use, either the high-frequency component in the microphones or the associated processor logic failed. ReSound just gave me a new left Quattro - zero feedback as to what went wrong. So I wonder if making a big deal out of battery failure rates of whatever type (except maybe for Zpower by reputation here) is looking in the wrong direction whereas there are a lot more things about other parts of the hearing aid that are liable to frustrate users and burn up provider time, e.g., just getting the fit right and keeping the user happy…

I wonder, too, how much money these days providers make off battery sales when there are Amazons and Costcos to turn to? In the cycle of life, the older folks with HA’s who didn’t know what a web browser is are being replaced by people who are giving brick-and-mortar ways of doing business a hard time. I myself always felt that I should have read “Who Moved My Cheese?!” - the world is changing perhaps a bit too fast for us all and no one wants to be a mouse or a human like Hem or Haw who is clueless to finding the next supply of cheese.

0 Likes

I would imagine one of the biggest “time sucks” for audiologists would be dealing with connectivity issues.

1 Like

BTW, the same Wikipedia article has the negative reaction to Who Moved My Cheese.

There’s truth in that, too! i.e., are we mice? or thinking men and women!

0 Likes

That’s only on the original OPN that can be retrofitted with the ZPower system.

With the OPN S moving forward, Oticon moved away from using the ZPower system and opted for wireless lithium ion battery charging.

1 Like

Well I purchased the Resound Quattro 9 and charger was INCLUDED with the HA. I purchased 2 HA at $2800 with the charger. So I think perhaps different Audiologist decide if they will include it or hit you up for more cash. Kind of like in the old days when you purchased a new car and then they hit you up extra for the floor mats.

1 Like