Resound absolutely stunned. RANT

I was sold on the new technology and performance of the Resound LiNX Quattro 9 rechargeables. Well right up to spending thousands for a rechargeable device only to be told that I need to buy an accessory(charger) to be able to use them! You have got to be kidding me!! I literally have tons of rechargeable devices and never once has a manufacturer required a separate purchase of a charger to be able to use their product! How can Resound call a required piece of hardware an accessory? Now maybe you got a very basic charger and not all the bells and whistles but everything rechargeable that I have ever purchased came with a charger! Absolutely asinine ! Not Surprisingly resounds competition is smart enough to know or maybe they aren’t that smart but they include charges. Why not just jack the price up a little and include the charger instead of slapping me in the face when I am ready to purchase ? Hear I come Phonak

2 Likes

I expected a longer piece of text after the word RANT. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I concur and if you are lucky enough to have insurance …who knows if insurance would then help pay for charger or if it would count towards your out of pocket deductable

1 Like

It is strange that they sell you rechargeable HA’s with no way to charge them. Sad…

0 Likes

This may be more of a hearing aid provider thing than manufacturer. My Mom was charged an extra $100 for a charger for her Phonak Audeo Bs. If I remember correctly, Kindles don’t necessarily come with a charger, so I don’t think getting a charger is necessarily universal.

0 Likes

Oh yeah…it happened to me too with the new Oticon OPN-S. The charger is a separate purchase. I asked the same question, how can you charge thousands for rechargeable hearing aids and not include the required charger as part of the purchase price? I was told that it is how Oticon sets up its contracts with audiologists. Everything is negotiable between the manufacturer and the provider, but it doesn’t always trickle down to the consumer/patient. Some audiology practices includes “accessories” and others do not. Bummer, but it is what it is. I’m sure we’ll hear from the fans of Costco who will say that everything is included there, but I don’t think they sell the latest-release hearing aids with all features enabled.

0 Likes

My wife’s kindle absolutely came with a cord that plugs into any USB port

3 Likes

I thought the same thing so I called Resound direct and they told me no that the charger was an accessory. So I told them I am old and not much into accessorizing so how it the hell can I charge the ha if I buy them without and accessory? Accessory implies optional or above standard and obviously resound thinks everything is ala cart.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had the same surprise. Perhaps it’s so the 312-powered one and the rechargeable both can be listed as the same price. But if you think hard about it, you can’t run a disposable battery-powered one without the disposable batteries, can you? Is a 3 or 6 year cost for the disposable batteries included in the price? So I think that’s the real idea.

My audi only charged me $175 for the charger and at the time I checked, one could also buy it special order at Costco for $206 - but all warranty service for the charger would have to be through Costco.

0 Likes

As Jim Lewis mentioned, you may be able to shop around for the Quattro charger, pricing-wise. In my area some audiologists charge $250 for the Quattro charger. Mine charged me $150.

0 Likes

And this is why I chose to get the Phonak Marvel. The charger is NOT an additional cost.

2 Likes

I was charged about $160 for my charger. To compare it to a cell phone charger is a little off base since this charger has a built in battery that can charge your HAs several times. I got an HA for one ear so if they jacked up the prices amd included chargers then later if I got the HA for the other ear I would pay more for the HA and get a second charger which I would not need because one charger will charge both HAs. However I can see the point that the rant was all about.

0 Likes

I had already met my deductible for the year. BC/BS did pay for 80% of mine including the charger. I can’t speak for all insurers so I guess you need to call and ask. I did and they were very nice to me and good about the whole thing.

0 Likes

This is what gets me about the hearing aid industry. We’re told that we’re paying for research, and miniaturisation, and then all of that service from our audiologists. Ok, if you say so… Then they slug you $250 for a battery charger? Can’t wait to hear the excuses on that one.

2 Likes

I’m lucky that all my HA necessities are covered thru a workmens compensation case that I won so I really do not pay attention to cost or how the product is sold. That being said I tried out a few different brands of HA’s before choosing the quattro as far as the rechargeable function it is the BEST … I wear my HA’s about 16 hrs a day and I stream probably 8 to 10 hrs. during the day/evening and never have I been below 40% reserve at the end of the night… also re-charging usually only takes about 5 hrs. As I said I tried other brands including the 3D before I upgraded to quattro and never was able to get close to 16 hrs before HA’s dying out and then it took all night for then re-charge… So as far as the product… the rechargeable version works great, to bad they do not realize their stupidity in selling them

1 Like

This charger’s additional cost sounds like a deliberate scheme to make money after the cost of the HAs. Not fair. Shame on you Resound!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s awkward. At first we thought we’d just divide the cost by two and plug it into the hearing aid cost, but then if someone only needs one hearing aid it doesn’t work out, so we ended keeping it alongside. BUT, it becomes less of a surprise if the audiologist lets you know right up front that there is an extra cost for the charger as opposed to springing it on you at the end. That’s what they should be doing. Though, in their defense, if they’ve just been fitting a whole bunch of Marvels they might have honestly forgotten that the charger was an extra cost they had to figure in. There are a lot of benefits of working at an independent clinic that fits any/all manufacturers, but one of the downsides is juggling in your head who offers which accessories included, who charges extra for custom tips when, who charges you for domes, etc. because it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

As for it being a resound scheme to make more money. . . :man_shrugging:. Phonak rechargeables are more expensive than their non-rechargeables, which you could imagine covers the cost of the charger, but then if someone DOES only need one hearing aid they would get to pay less for the same charger. For all we know Phonak added the cost of the charger to each hearing aid to cover these situations and you’re paying for it twice. I doubt resound’s strategy is more of a money grab, it’s just a different way of allocating things.

But yeah, it always sucks to have one cost in your head and then have someone say, “Oh, PS, you also have to pay this extra cost.”

1 Like

The fact is that there really is nothing in these chargers that merit the cost. There is no special “hearing aid technology” inside. They probably get these manufactured for a few bucks. It really is just another way to make more money off the customer. What other option does the customer have but to pay the cost? They know it, so they take advantage.

0 Likes

I don’t know how you guys handle this. It’s like sticker shock then the kill.

1 Like

@MDB My first kindle came with a charger. The second did not. Fortunately, the Kindle Keyboard charger worked for my Kindle Paperwhite.

2 Likes