Replacing Phonak Lumity receivers

Hi,

I’m reading different things online about how to replace my Lumity RT receives.
Do I need the removal tool or do I just have to pull the receiver out?

Thanks!

Generic advice. Don’t just pull on the receiver. If it’s like most receivers I’ve seen, you need a tool, but a straightened small paperclip makes a good substitute.

2 Likes

Yeah, the official tool looks just like those clips to access the sin cards in mobile phones.
But I’m not sure it’s still needed on the latest Phonak HAs, that’s why I asked…

I’ve used thumbtacks and sewing needles. There’s one Audeo model, where they just pull out, but I don’t think it’s the RT. Pretty sure it’s either the Slim or the Life, but I forget which. Maybe both.

1 Like

Phonak video here for the pull/snap receiver

And here to push the plastic pin out just enough to remove the receiver which I’m sure you have.

3 Likes

Curious: why do you want to replace the speaker yourself? Aren’t the aids under a warranty?

They’re about $25-$30 each on ebay. I keep spares in my purse and my office. Even it it were free under warranty, the inconvenience isn’t worth the cost savings.

1 Like

Not that I know, as the speakers need to be replaced rather often (like once a year) even in they don’t fail completely.

But now, specifically, I want to get them shorter.

Why? That’s not normal practice, although I’m sure the manufacturer and clinics would like you to do it, it’s totally unnecessary.

1 Like

In my experience they do fail/get worse after a certain amount of time

In what way tho, my last pair went 4 years, I only replaced them because I went to a more powerful gain,the only time I’ve seen replacement necessary is broken wire/connection issues, they certainly don’t last forever but every year seems too often for no good reason.

1 Like

With my Starkey I had to replace them pretty often, let’s hope the Phonak ones are better.

Anyway, in this specific case I’ve just bought new receivers with a shorter tube. Because, after I got an ear mould, the previous cable seemed a bit too long to me.

2 Likes

I used to have to replace receivers from time to time with my old Phonak HAs, like every 12 to 18 months. I don’t replace them nearly as much with Oticon as they last at least twice that.

Just be careful to only push the pin about half a millimeter. If you use too much force, it is possible to drive the little lock pin right out, or far enough that you can’t get it back, and then you’re looking at a manufacturer repair.

If you have a version that is just friction fit, then no worries.

3 Likes