REMs performed by the hearing aid itself

I’m not sure if this was ever talked about, but thought I’d share this fascinating patent from Demant. I hope it becomes a reality…

The application relates to a hearing device comprising an input unit for providing an electric input audio signal, a configurable signal processing unit for processing an audio signal and providing a processed audio signal, and a reversible out put transducer for converting an electric output signal to an acoustic output Sound. The hearing device further comprises a measurement unit configured to convert a sound pressure level to an electric signal, termed the measurement signal, and a control unit configured to determine a present electric impedance of the output transducer or a measure indicative of said present electric impedance from said measurement signal. This has the advantage that no additional microphone or other measurement equipment is needed to provide a (e.g. in-situ) real ear measurement of Sound pressure level. The invention may e.g. be used to control audio signal processing in hearing aids, headsets, ear phones, active ear protection systems, or combinations thereof.

US20160255448A1.pdf (1.8 MB)

0 Likes

Neat. Only concern is what about calibration? I assume in office REM equipment gets calibrated with some regularity? Or is that an optimistic assumption?

1 Like

Widex use the sensogram that plays the frequencies directly through the aids into the ears & you respond when you hear it. It is super accurate. Isn’t this the same thing?

0 Likes

Isn’t the REM a two step process. First you measure gain near the eardrum without any hearing aid in place - Real ear unaided gain? Second step is to measure the gain in the ear with the hearing aid in place. Does this device do both?

0 Likes

Starkey had something similar for years starting in like 2004. No one used it, so they stopped.

The hearing aids would come out of the packaging with probe mic attached, and the first step in the fitting was running real ear through the aid.

0 Likes

Yup. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, depending on the device/type of calibration.

2 Likes

Depends on if you’re doing REUG (unaided gain) and REAG (aided gain) or REAR (aided response)… the last one is an output measure and does not require taking a measurement of earcanal resonance up front… since the resonance technically is accounted for when measuring the overall sound level at the eardrum… basically, we know the volume we want at the eardrum, so measuring REAR is fine…

0 Likes