REM - Real Ear Measurement ... what is it?

[quote=Miki;109914]Newbie here I have a simple question. Is the REM when done used for all hearing aids or just the ones that fit inside your ear? Hope thats not a dumb question.

— Updated —

Miki,

All hearing aids.

Seb, I got your message. You inbox is full so I cant reply.

Thanks.

In terms of technical progress, this thread has aged 3-1/2 years without posts. In 3 days time, I’m scheduled to have (what sounds like) a REM exam. I have already been fitted with the HA and done 2-1/2 weeks of self-tests of it. Only when I was about to return the HA for a refund was this test offered. It is increased overhead for the Audiologist; but if it has been around as long as this thread, it would seem the resistance to it persists. I should add that, after the second week of self-testing, I asked if the volume could be boosted at all–so it was! Then, the offer of REM was introduced–but would need to be scheduled in a week or so. Am I missing something here?–if the purpose of the HA is to hear better, why wouldn’t the amplification be started at its maximum capability, and reduced if necessary? I’m obviously not a technician, just a deaf person.

That would be too overwhelming for new hearing aid users. It takes time for the brain to adjust to amplification, and new users are often set to 70 or 80 percent of target. The gain is then increased over time.

Thank you for the response. I should think that a ‘new hearing aid user’ would not normally require a lot of amplification; so I would agree with you. I’m a 20-year or more HA user, and having undergone recent retesting and been found profoundly deaf, would your answer still apply? (My old hearing aid died of old age before I did.)

— Updated —

Thank you for the response. I should think that a ‘new hearing aid user’ would not normally require a lot of amplification; so I would agree with you. I’m a 20-year or more HA user, and having undergone recent retesting and been found profoundly deaf, would your answer still apply? (My old hearing aid died of old age before I did.)