Redux Dryer Receives 2020 Edison Award for Innovation

Where can this be purchased ?

I don’t think it can be. From looking at their website, it looks to me that it’s a service that they offer hearing care professionals. Interesting idea, but I question the value of removing “all of the moisture” as moisture will return as soon as item is returned to a non vacuum environment.

Seems the business will lease the device on a monthly basis. If that business hustles others to also lease the device this business will get their device free. Hmmm, interesting.

From a hearing aid view the vacuum would flash off any liquids away from the aid, receiver, mold or domes. Liquids like sweat, rain or stepping in the shower would be removed very quickly. Earwax would probably be dried up for easy brushing or Jodivac removal too.

I wonder if our food vacuum packaging machine would do similar?

I would think your vacuum packaging machine would do similarly. Only concern that comes to mind is if the heat sealing would get the hearing aid too warm. Doubt it.
I still wonder if removing moisture very quickly has any real advantage over what could be accomplished in a low humidity environment with good air movement.

1 Like

We use a Vacmaster VP215 chamber packaging machine, a laptop would fit in it.

The Redux has the UV lights for sanitizing, a good thing. It appears this Redux device is intended for businesses.

I was impressed that you could dry & clean your aids completely in approx. 15 minutes.
At times when working out in the yard or just doing outdoor activities in the summer, my ears will sometimes get really wet. I like the idea that by the time your done with your shower and washing & drying your hair, your hearing aids would also be clean & dry. I have a Dry & Store professional cleaner/dryer now. It is now about 20 years old. The complete cycle for it is about 8 hours. I was thinking about getting a new one but really haven’t seen anything that I am too impressed with. This unit would have been perfect for me.

From the picture alone, it looks like a big box with a small compartment. It’s probably 2-3 times larger than the Zephyr Dry&Store.

I looked at Amazon, but it’s not there.

I asked a well known deaf organisation in the UK about what hearing Aid dryer do they recommend and they said the Dry and Store is still the best.

I’ve got a new Dry and Store but I have used a Dry and Store for around 20 years.

1 Like

I also have the Dry & Store Professional. It was bought used 11-12 years ago and still functions as designed.

Might try an experiment with our vacuum packer. It has a series of timers for different functions that could be adjusted to suite holding a vacuum on hearing aids for a given time. Another idea is fabricating an air tight container with a HVAC pump to pull the vacuum.

It’s too bad Redux isn’t selling the units to the public.

1 Like

I don’t know if Starfrit is still in business, but they used to offer a set of canister storage units that have a one-way seal and a small air pump with which you can create a very effective vacuum chamber. I have used it to bring a waterlogged watch back to life and I have used it on my hearing aids a few times. It is not quite as effective as a professional vacuum chamber like they use at NASA, but it is pretty darn good anyway. I have one here that I have used for about 10 years now and it still works. The smaller ones developed cracks and fell apart but the big one still works like new.

1 Like

Hey everyone - this is Matt from Redux, I appreciate you all taking the time to read and comment on our drying system.

Personal background, I began losing my hearing in college and after continued loss, I became fully deaf in both ears in my 30s. I function pretty well now with an auditory brain stem implant (like a cochlear implant but attached directly to my brain due to hearing nerve damage) but rely on it for all my hearing.

Redux background - I’ve used EVERY dryer and encourage you to visit your hearing care provider to try Redux and hear the difference (we encourage partners to offer a free trial). To clarify, our patented tech combines a strong vacuum AND heat, allowing us to evaporate all moisture without exceeding body temperature. The hardest part of this process is what to do with the moisture we remove…we have to introduce fresh dry air throughout the process, otherwise the water just stays in the chamber. The device is wifi enabled and communicates via app in real time how much moisture has been removed. The first time I dried my implant, I loved that it verified exactly what it did for me.

All of this tech is a challenge to fit into an affordable at-home solution right now. My personal experience was that it saved me from a $250 out of warranty return and it made things sound way better (mine took 12 minutes to fully dry and removed 4 microliters). That makes it a professional service worth visiting my hearing care pro a bit more often to use.

Hope this helps!
Matt

Matt,

Is this just for hearing aid professionals or for consumers too?

–Steve

1 Like

Steven - the Redux system is currently set up to be a service your hearing care professional can offer to patients. Send me a note at matt@redux.com and I’m happy to send your practitioner a device to trial at no cost.

Matt

1 Like

I thought that vacuum can damage microphones and receivers

Thanks for the question/comment. Practices and hospitals using Redux have completed thousands of hearing aid, implant and hearable dries across the country without issue. In fact, we’re improving sound quality in more than 3 out of every 4 dries…and that includes some aids that were considered “dead” beforehand.

Redux has also been drying cellphones (which also have mics, receivers and lithium ion batteries) in thousands of locations for years without issue.

If there are any vacuum chamber data you’d like me to review, I’m happy to take a look!
Matt

You already own some nearly perfect, and perfectly free solutions. Your laptops, charging cell phones, or power supplies are all you need. For instance, my laptop power supply took my 85F phone to 106F in five minutes. 20F differential will dry most anything safely in a few minutes.

Laptops - Laptops are designed with active and/or passive cooling. Find the exit when the fan runs, and you should have a +120F air source to dry your HA within a minute. Above the keyboards, laptops efficiently vent 120F passive heat over a wide area. (Test drying a very damp tissue over your keyboard and it should dry within 5 minutes. Cover the keyboard and your HA with a dry tissue to dry faster. )

Power Supplies - Brick type power supplies for laptops and other devices generate and emit heat, even when not charging anything. (Save $$ - Find unused plugged in power supplies that are heating your air, which then has to either be cooled or costs more than other heat sources.) Find a handy low heat brick nearby to dry your HA, which generate +100F heat in the open, or more if partially covered with your HA under a tissue.

Yeah, Edison Awards are cool for complicated expensive solutions. But there should also be a Tesla Award for effective and free solutions.