Reducing low-mid frequency gains helps speech understanding?

I was in a movie theater earlier today for a film that consisted primarily of women talking*. As usual, I was missing some of the phrases. On my Phonak Audeo V90s I tried switching from the Autosense OS “program” to Speech in noise and then to Speech in 360°. I noticed an improvement in understanding with the latter program.

When I got home I examined the insertion gain differences between Speech in noise and Speech in 360°. The gains in the first two grids, for the two programs respectively, are those from the DSL v5a Adult fitting formula, increased by about 6 kB across the board.

The gain differences are in the third grid, indicating that speech in 360° has about 2 dB less gain from 250 Hz up through about 3 kHz.

The description of Speech in noise:
The description of Speech in 360:
[I was just facing forward towards the movie screen, so I was “using” only the directional focus and not selection of direction.]

I am curious about the systematic pattern of gain differences between the two programs and how it might explain the improvement I noticed.

*The movie was “Little Women,” which was excellent. Not only is it a masterly production, but all of the dialog is traditional standard English, which I enjoy a lot.

I like the way you are thinking about this. You will for sure learn.

Which ever fitting algorithm you start with, I believe you should stick with it for programming. I have found changing algorithms messes up previous programming towards best tuning.

How did you set these aids up?
I usually have to increase g50 and g65 a touch in the lower/mid frequencies to improve speech.
What % prescription are you at?

I’m not sure what you’re asking, but if it’s the elements, or inputs, of the fitting that led to its outputs:
Costco audiogram of Dec. 21, which is that shown in my profile here;
Acoustic parameters-- xS receivers, 2xS wire lengths, Power Dome on R, and unvented cShell on L;
Feedback and real ear test, allowing gain to exceed feedback threshold by 5 dB, on R; no test on L;
Global tuning: DSL v5a Adult, 100% target gain (= “% prescription”?), occlusion compensation off, compression = prescribed;
Fine tuning: no changes except all output - HL manually increased 6 dB at all frequencies;
Program options all default values except:
Whistleblock 6/20 all programs on R, 0/20 on all on L except 6/20 on Music;
Autosense OS Transition speed: fast.
Programs selectable via button: Speech in noise Speech in loud noise, Speech in 360°.

Sorry for the confusion. You have answered the questions.

Your list of settings will be good to come back to as you do more tuning.

There are also captioning devices and audio receivers available at the movies. I always use both and use a neckloop to send the audio wirelessly to the tcoil in my hearing aids. It works amazingly well.

All good information here, but something’s not quite right, why do you use unvented mould on your left? And power dome on your right, your right side is the greater loss, and standard receivers as well ( I know that target will suggest this ) try medium ( bit more headroom and less distortion at the higher frequencies) also why no feedback test on your left?
As for DSL v5a, those coming from analogue/ linear usually like the overall loudness of that formula, have you tried NHL 2 as it would give a bit more gain in the high frequencies overall and this may help.

The mold on the right was prescribed by an audi several months ago in order to get more gain without feedback. Originally it was Acoustically Optimal Vent, but several days ago I blocked the vent as an experiment. On the right I originally had an open dome, then I switched to a closed dome, and 10 or so days ago I switched to the power dome with the same motivation as for the mold. I omitted the feedback test on the left to prevent target from enforcing a feedback threshold on gains, as the mold is completely occluding and there’s no feedback anyway. I have not yet tried NAL-1 or -2. This is a work in progress.

Aaaaaand, the descriptions are now all obsolete because I’m in my first hour of wearing new M90-312s, with M receivers and Power Domes on both sides. These, so far, have not been touched by an audiologist, but that will change as soon as I can get an appointment. Topic: custom molds? I’m starting with dual Feedback and real ear tests, DSL, and no fine tuning as yet except to turn Whistleblock down from 13 to 6 in all programs and to change Autosense 3.0 program switching from default value to fast.