Rechargeable versus battery hearing aids

Signia Pure 312 X 7X. Batteries last average 2 days. The left one lasts longer, but usually won’t make 3 full days…

Lots of streaming???

About 4 hours per day…I have them on about 17 hours daily…The right one quits sooner, but it is working harder?

Lol my Linx Quattro rechargeables can last 2 days with 2 hrs / day streaming on one charge.

Ive been testing Linx Quattros with batteries, they could last 3 days (312s).

Gone for rechargeables, theyre so much better, I dont have to worry about batteries and theyre same price as non-rechargeable model.

Yeah, that makes decisions somewhat easier.

Here rechargeable paradises are that 500 eur more expensive (one pair + charger). I tried them only because phonak has some features only in them. Given that I don’t like rechargeable things that don’t hold their charge for at least several days, they really had to be really good for that price difference. Not to mention that charger case and connection is really obsolete design compared to the competitors’ solutions.

Didn’t notice any hearing difference, only faster connection to BT devices. Decided that I’ll just work on my patience and breathing exercises considering those connections and save 500 eur :joy:

1 Like

Does that mean you’ve decided on Marvels? 13 batteries?

Regarding the right one quitting sooner. It is putting out a little more gain so that should use a little more power. Not sure how Signia handles streaming. On some aids (Phonak in particular) one aid handles most of the streaming work. I’m not fully sure there’s an explanation though as I’ve always had one aid that died earlier and sometimes didn’t have an explanation.

Well, the left one won’t go 3 full days anyway, so I just change them both every other day…keeps from getting nasty surprises…

If it would be at all inconvenient to change them separately, changing them when the first one goes makes total sense. If I’m and not doing much of anything, I will sometimes switch the battery that is still good to replace the bad one. Then when it goes, the more demanding aid has the fresher battery.

1 Like

I tested batterypowered HA for a period and then switched to the ReSound LiNX Quattro. I charge them at night and don’t need to bother about batterys any longer and i value the the peace of mind. When i go out for longer than a day i take the case/powerbank/charger with me. Braveheart says it lasts 9 days, didnt know that, thanks for checking. Happy user for almost two years now.
Another advantage is the hearingaids dont need to be openened and closed, gues that ads to its lifetime span?

2 Likes

The extra gain also demands more feedback manager control, the combination of the two means more receiver activity.

As an aside, if you find your batteries not lasting as long, it might be you’re getting a bit of wax in the way causing the reflection of more sound and feedback manager to work harder.

3 Likes

Ive worn CIC for 18 years with disposable batteries. Battery life lasted approximately 4 days. I always carried extra batteries on my key chain & each night after cleaning my HAs I stored them in a sealed pill bottle full of silica gel. Now my new aids are rechargeable & for my lifestyle I have to give the edge to disposable batteries.

With rechargeable I am now tethered by a power cord & a charger that can break or get lost. It’s one more item to keep up with when traveling.

Last week I was subjected to a 4 day power outage due to a hurricane. I evacuated to our cabin in the woods that also had no electricity. I had to compete with 3 phones for charging time & each night before bed I had to walk 50’ in the dark across a snake infested yard to plug my aids into the truck - and each morning reverse the procedure. (I guarantee, you dont need HAs to hear a rattler!)

Due to the confusion of evacuating, I was worried about the charger getting misplaced or damaged. I plan on buying an extra charger for ‘just in case’

Now with my Signia Pure’s I stream music most of the day (12 hours +) while being able to converse; something I couldnt do with #10 batteries. BTW my audiologist said the batteries would last 3 years.

4 Likes

I agree! I’ve had my rechargeable Starkey HAs for about a year now. I wear them about 16 hours a day, and they’ve never gone out on me. My charger itself will stay charged on its own for several days without being plugged in. I will never go to replaceable batteries because of the inconvenience of changing batteries, etc. I have arthritis and some neuropathy in my fingers and those tiny batteries just wouldn’t be doable for me.

Hello, I started the original thread. I am considering the Rexton Motioncore Hearing aids available in rechargable or battery. I started considering new hearing aids when I sent my 4 year old Resound hearing aids back for repair and Costco let me use a set of Rexton as loaners. I was amazed how clear they were and how natural they sounded compared to my Resounds. Resound is the only hearing aid brand I have ever used. I appreciate anymore input that you fine people may have. If needed I can start a new thread.

Hi, on that topic I have two questions:

Does anyone remember how long it took Oticon to also offer the Opn S with disposable battery after introducing the flagship rechargeable version? Mainly due to my active life pre-covid (night-long music raves, going camping etc) and possibly not always having a power outlet close by I am strongly biased against a rechargeable hearing aid, therefore I am trying to gauge how long it might take Oticon to introduce their Oticon More with disposable batteries.

Secondly, of the features that Phonak only offers for the rechargeable version of their Audeo P90 HAs, which do you think are absolutely indispensable? From what I gather, the differences are that the rechargeable ones have motion sensors (accelerometers) and a tap control (that only seems to work well for some people) that the battery versions don’t offer. Is there anything else that differs and do those two things really matter?

On my journey to get new hearing aids after 5 years, I might convince myself to get rechargeables if absolutely necessary but I’d really prefer it if I didn’t have to!

Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

No clue regarding when Oticon might come out with a disposable battery powered More model. It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t. It’s pretty clear the trend is towards rechargeables. I don’t think the rechargeable Phonak Paradise have any “must have” features, but of course that depends on the user. @Blacky should be able to add clarification, but I think you pretty much covered the differences.

I transitioned from replaceable battery Oticon Opn 1 to the Phonak P90RT. The tap-tap feature is shockingly convenient. I have never suffered from lack of battery life. I wear the aids from 0500 to 2300 each day and I drive power receivers.

@VinceJ @MDB many thanks to both of you for answering my questions! Perhaps I should try out the rechargeables after all and test how long they last with and without streaming. Looking forward to start testing soon when I have my HA prescription :smiley:

For someone who started out wearing hearing aids with rechargeable batteries, I’m sure this topic is moot. But for those who have used disposable batteries for years - its a different world switching to rechargeable. Rechargeable batteries have come a long way, since when they first came out there were a lot (a lot) of complaints. Now I believe most of the early battery issues have been addressed.

So I’m currently gathering information on the Oticon More and I agree with MDB that we might never see the More aid with disposable batteries. I think I can live with that (if I happen to buy this new aid) but what I can’t live without is drying any new aid on a routine basis. Especially during months of high humidity. Cliff Olson seems to think the Oticon battery charger works well, yet explain to me how you’re going to dry your hearing aids using this charger? Are you supposed to charge you aids for three hours, then take them and move them into aid dryer? That’s not going to work at all.

Then we have the issue of aid dryer heat and batteries. Yes the two can live together because at night I usually place my aids in Dry and Store aid Dryer-Sanitizer with dry-brik. Yea this dryer has been around for ever but it works extremely well and will certainly extend the life of your hearing aid. I’ve been told (and know) leaving battery in (open battery door position) while in Dry and Store probably diminishes that battery by an hour. Well I can live with that with a 675 battery that last two weeks.

But how does a rechargeable battery deal with night time drying heat? And does Oticon make a dryer/battery charger combo that works in tandem? That would be great if it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

1 Like

Recharging processes typically induce a bit of heat. We see it on phones and most anything else. The Phonak recharging is not wireless but that small amount of heat might serve to dry the hearing aid internals. In fact, not being wireless might be intentional to avoid excessive heat. Frankly, I have have never noticed a warm hearing aid in the morning but the recharge cycle finished hours before I harvest them from charger. I would think Oticons would behave similarly when they are available.