Rechargeable Lumity Life NOT holding its charge anymore

Why would Bluetooth LE and Bluetooth Classic need separate radios? I believe they use the same frequencies. Software could negotiate the proper protocol.

Interesting, is not listed in the user manual I found.

That’s not the way it works. BT classic and BT LE have different protocols for advertising, establish connection, and communication. You cannot connect and later change the protocol.

1 Like

I think you are confusing with Application based protocol which app/devices uses to communicate which is the trunk of the car/truck

bluetooth classic is the gas guzzling truck and bluetooth LE is the Tesla… they both use the same 2.4 ghz (highway)…

1 Like

That is my point. The radios are configured by software. The software could first try LE and, if not foiubnd, reconfigure the same radio for Classic Bluetooth. No extra radio or antenna needed.

They are using a switching context but it is still 2 distinct radios.

In computing, a context switch is the process of storing the state of a process or thread, so that it can be restored and resume execution at a later point, and then restoring a different, previously saved, state.

@prodigyplace @ssa
We are getting off topic…

1 Like

OTH, how BT of various sorts works is apropos as to why Lumitys do not hold charge as well as some MFi HA’s.

3 Likes

Ok, but that was a completely different story and has nothing to do with the different functionality of BT classic and BT LE.

It was a bug in the operating system of the phones (Android 12). They stayed connected to the HA all the time, which also resulted in increased power consumption in the HA.

The question arose as to why BT LE and classic BT couldn’t share the same hardware channel if having multiple BT channels, including battery-hogging classic BT, is a reason, even in perfectly normal Lumitys, for a relatively fast rundown of charge, especially if streaming intensively. So, perhaps it’s one of those YMMV as to whether anyone considers that sort of information relevant to a Lumity not holding its charge. Maybe the Android 12 problem is related to not managing channel on/off protocols well?

1 Like

Operating system have nothing to do with it, it is most likely broken bluetooth chipset firmware that was tied to it. All the 0S does is just pair/ unpair the device, show status and pipe audio data to audio source that the user want to do it on… it is just a coincident that it was broken Android 12…

The fix for Android 12 is to enable the Gabeldorsche Bluetooth stack via developer options.
The Gabeldorsche Bluetooth stack then went into production with Android 13.

From the feedback on this forum this option doesn’t seem to be available for Galaxy devices though. The fix worked fine for me with a Pixel 6 though before Android 13 was deployed.

No, that is a workaround that mitigated the issue. Fluoride was in Android 12 and older. Are you telling me that Android 11 and older had the same issue?

I don’t know as I only started using Paradise June 2022.

According to what I researched at the time the battery drain issue did appear after a system update, not sure if this was a version update or just a security update. Nonetheless it was a bug that was being reported after some form of patch or software update had been issued.

It was very close to Android 13 release and Gabeldorsche going live so it seems probable that there wasn’t much of a push to fix it. It did seem to be a power management issue at the time not exclusive to BT and Android is basically in permanent beta anyway so nothing unusual about something being broken and deployed!

It drove me crazy until I had a poke around in developer settings and found the Gabeldorsche option which once enabled fixed the issue for me. I tried to post the fix here at the time but that account got frozen and never reinstated so that post was never published.

1 Like

Glad it fixed your issue but I i wish you posted the workaround earlier so more people will use it… Maybe it is a good time to post it, better late than never :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was my first and only post on that account. I think that the three links included in the small howto that I wrote got me banned as a spammer!

Don’t worry I’ve posted that information elsewhere on this forum a few times, possibly much earlier on in this thread even.

It’s a bit of a moot point now though as upgrading to Android 13 is the primary way of sorting this out and by the look of the postings on this forum most people have been able to do that.

Samsung Galaxy users don’t seem to seem to have the option available in their Developer Options though so I’ve given people some false hope a few times.

I had the battery drain on KS9 with Pixel 4xl on Android 12. I tried everything, including the Gabeldorsche change. Nothing worked for me.

I eventually installed a beta version of Android 13. It fixed the problem.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, for my Pixel 6, I went from a 30% discrepancy to a 7% one immediately after the change and a full reboot. It stayed that way all summer until I got Android 13.

I used a Bluetooth sniffer at the time and all that was happening for me was that part of the BT Classic connection, I can’t remember exactly which part, was being kept permanently open apparently draining the phone and the main BT hearing aid unnecessarily.
Once I enabled Gabeldorsche on my phone it stopped showing a permanent connection on the sniffer and the battery drain improved drastically.

With Android 13 for me it is a 3-4% difference at the end of the day, if that, but I have Lumity now.

1 Like

I just got back from my app’t with the audi today! Turns out, the “master aid” of my “older” pair of Lumity Life aids (purchased in Sept) is truly DEAD, so the battery drain was likely multi-factorial. I brought the charger in with me, and my audi was not even able to charge the aids up enough (after them sitting in the charger 15 min) to even connect to her Target software. So, they’ll be sent in to Phonak for a diagnosis and fix. She was not certain they’d even follow up with the reason why they failed, but said they’d likely just replace that one aid. It was the “master” aid that failed and would not charge. The other aid was charged up fine and rarin’ to go!

On the topic of Phonak announcements and things that could benefit us customers, I asked if her cllinic could set up a database with our aids/serial numbers so we’d be kept in the loop. Trouble is … even the clinic is NOT informed about things Phonak knows about. The Android 13 issue was NEVER even mentioned to her by her rep. She had even asked that rep last summer why I would only get 12-13 hrs use per day from my Lumity Life aids. The rep either played DUMB … or more likely, internal Phonak communication doesn’t even get pushed out to the field reps, cuz his only answer was “Maybe she’s streaming too much?”

I’m looking forward to getting the braindead “bean” back. My audi said she’d ask the rep what’s the best strategy for folks with 2 pairs of rechargeable aids. I’ll likely just wear each one every other day, so neither gets drained down, or needs to be turned off and put in a drawer.

2 Likes

Runtime was part of my reason for not choosing Phonak even though or was my audiologist’s preference. I ordered Oticon More 1.