Recently diagnosed with moderate high frequency hearing loss

DSL v5 is a fitting formula that determines how much gain and compression is considered “best” for you specific loss. I think it is a very important issue, and potentially the most important aspect that determines how a hearing aid will sound to you. Many hearing aid users focus on the brand and model of hearing aid, and the latest bells and whistles that they have. My conclusion in being new to this, and learning, is that the fitting formula is much more important than the brand and model.

When you shop for hearing aids the fitter will let you try different aids, but probably does not tell you what fitting formula is being used to program the hearing aids. It can be the proprietary formula from the manufacturer, or it can be an industry standard formula like NAL-NL2 (Australian), or DSL v5 (Canadian). They will all sound different. However, it is hard to tell you in advance which will sound best to you. That is why I recommend at very minimum finding out what formula they are using, and to what experience level it is being set at. And if possible trying different formulas to see which sounds the best to you.

Here is the DSL v5 formula which I posted earlier. It shows how much gain is applied to soft (top light line), normal (middle heavy line), and loud sounds (lower light line), across the frequency range.

This is the NAL-NL2 formula applied to your loss. The wider separation between the lines means that more compression is being applied. Loud sounds are amplified less, and soft sounds amplified more.

This is the Rexton SmartFit formula which can only be used in their aids.

So you can see there are very different approaches to how the loss is corrected.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but, I LOVE MY HEARING AIDS!!! I’m getting used to them and all the weird sounds I hear. Thanks for all the support! The oticon opns are amazing in my opinion! Bluetooth is amazing!!! I’m glad I got them.

11 Likes

Thanks for getting back with us about your hearing and aids.
Congratulations

That’s great I’m happy for you.
A lot of people have difficulty adapting to hearing aids. I think I’m fortunate in that I took to mine immediately.

I like that I have a community to share my experience with. It really helps me on my journey.

1 Like

Totally agree. I was there 10 years ago, should have got aids much sooner.
We all share common issues.
You are doing good.

Good to hear! (pun intended!)
I should have started earlier like you’re doing.

Wonderful to hear! Glad you went ahead with them.

Good for you Ethan… I would say though, depending on you’re loss it can be very challenging when you first use hearing and dare I say, very tiring… Sometimes it is better for certain folks to start off gradually and then increase your usage time on a daily basis, but you seem to have taken to your HA’s like a duck to water :slight_smile: 30 years ago with bilateral sudden hearing loss in the severe/ profound threshold it took me weeks to adapt to HA’s , back then with analog aids which basically amplified everything I was met with a wall of sound… cheers Kev

I like the bluetooth as well! I love listening to audio books and it’s great to be able to do that through my hearing aids.

I had hearing loss similar to yours since I was a kid. I didn’t get hearing aids until age 50 when it got a little worse. I enjoy self-programming because I buy 2nd hand and gray market hearings aids dirt cheap. I live a very active lifestyle so I certainly don’t want ridiculously overpriced hearing aids from an audiologist. I use RIC Siemens Pure BX 7 and I don’t give a rat’s ass if people see them. You can always grow your hair to hide them.

1 Like

So, another update. I guess the “honeymoon phase” is over. I’ve been having a very love/hate relationship with my hearing aids recently. Everything sounds fuzzy, I will see the audiologist early next year. Has anyone else experienced this? My hearing might be getting worse, I was warned that was a possibility.

You’ve changed the wax filters?