Receiver lifespan

How often do others replace their receiver? Being in a moist environment would eventually cause an electronic device to fail, so periodic replacement seems inevitable.

varies quite a lot depending on the users environment as well as the conditions (wax / moisture) inside the persons ear. Anywhere between 3 months and never but as an average I would say I exchange the receivers roughly once a year for my patients

My Oticon Alta 2’s lasted 3 years. Never changed them

Wow, my Widex receivers lasted four years. I only replaced them when the wires became loose or broke.

Thanks for everyone’s experiences. I’m guessing I won’t be one of the lucky ones as I seem to have to maintain the receiver/dome a lot.

I have ITE and CIC aids that are over 10 years old and still functioning. I’ve only had RIC for around a year, but I cannot imagine they would be more sensitive than a CIC from days before nano-coatings…

When I suspect that a receiver is not performing well then I temporarily replace it. Every time I have done this, they both (old/new) sound the same. So I end up never replacing a receiver unless the wire breaks from yanking them out of your ears by pulling on the wire.

otoh, if you are using OP money (other people’s money) then replace them once a year. :wink:

btw> It’s a Balanced Armature;

I’ve had receivers go bad on me 3 times so far in the 2 years I’ve owned my OPN. The first time was very obvious when the receiver started cutting in and out (no sound momentarily). The other 2 times were due to them sounding distorted/saturated on louder volumes. The issue went away after a new receiver replacement so it was very obvious that the receivers were indeed bad.

On previous CIC models that I wore, I usually had to get them repaired on the average every couple of years. Because of the nature of the CIC, it’s never clear whether it was due to a bad receiver or a bad mic or something else in the circuit.

My first pair of HA were Oticons purchased in January 2009. Second pair are Rexton’s that I bought in 2015.

The Rextons are failing now - won’t pair with my iPhone X and don’t work well under some conditions. Speech, tv, movies, and work meetings are especially difficult. And, even when the Rexton iPhone software did work, adjustments were minimal and manual. I.e. after awhile I stopped using the iPhone sofware.

New AI and auto-adjusting HAs are pretty sweet. Given the cost of the premium models, I hope they last awhile.

Regards,

Dan.

I’ve had a couple that didn’t last a year. My current ones are 6 months old and no problems although I have suspected the left one is slightly weaker than the right one and I have de-coupled them for a couple of adjustments to handle that.

I have some Resound Verso (Costco KS5) from 2013 that are still fine as my backups now.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m relatively new as a HA wearer, so don’t have the experiences of many of you.

After reading PVC’s reply I started wondering if the big six make their own receivers. Some things, like consumer level microwave ovens, are built by one or two manufactures, and then every brand just puts their label on them. Does anyone know if HA receivers are like that too?

From what I can tell, Oticon uses the same receivers for different models of its own brand. But whether their receivers are interchangeable with other brands or not, I don’t know.

You can prolong the life of the receiver by using a hearing aid dryer.

Receivers are not interchangeable between brands. They generally attach to the hearing aids with different style connectors. Even the same manufacture’s later models are not interchangeable with their earlier model receivers.

One last question, then I’ll put this to bed. I assume that when you get a receiver replaced, that a fitting, including REM, should also be done. Otherwise how would you know that the replacement receiver is properly functioning.

Nope. Just plugged it in. I’m assuming the device (hearing aid) is set by software and
this is a speaker replacement only.

Each one has dB ranges depending on
loss and prescription.

I would agree with the “should” part, but doubt it is very often.

Don’t be so picky :wink: If you replace a speaker on your sound system would you want to get a new THX Certification? btw> Check out this REM Poll.

Ideally the receiver should have the same exact spec and get amplified the same way by the hearing aids to enable you to pop them in and out interchangeably without having to change everything else. But there are tolerances in their impedance and other things that make the effect of amplification vary. Ideally REM should be rerun if possible to recalibrate based on the new receiver.

I’ve had my receiver replaced and noticed that there was a difference in amplification, enough to warrant recalibration.

Oh, you guys are probably talking about OP money again. Sure, get em replaced, re-certified, and maybe cleaned and polished too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: