Receiver in Ear: OK with 65 db hearing loss?

I have a left eardrum which had to be rebuilt (tympanoplasty) after I perforated it many times diving. I’m a newbie, and learning a lot from this

hz / db left ear only (my right ear is only mildly impaired).
250 60
500 65
1000 55
2000 65
4000 85
8000 110.

This seems to be on the edge between moderate and severe hearing loss. (?)

Has anybody successfully used an RIE (Receiver in ear) HA with such an impaired ear?

I’m just starting to get an education, and this forum is a great help. My concern is that feedback will be a problem unless I get a custom ear mold. But that is just a guess.

Thanks to everyone involved in this forum, and especially to Randy Wohlers.

Should be aidable with a powerReceiver and PowerDomes or a PowerReceiver shell

the oticons rite power could do the trick, i had fitted quite a few

Let’s look at the basics here before worrying about the magic of modern digital techno-wizadry.

It is likely that you have a CONDUCTIVE loss … which means that you need TWICE as much gain as most users.

Now, you have one good ear & one bad ear with a 65dBHL loss.

As you raise the gain towards 65dB gain into the aid on the bad ear you stand a risk of conduction of the sound from the bad ear through the skull to the good ear … possibly BEFORE you start detecting it in the bad ear.

This could mess up the hearing on your good side …

thanks very much for this spot-on help. I think you are right about the conductive loss, and knew nothing about the possibility of cross talk through the skull.

I’ve enjoyed your website, and many of your comments on this forum.

thank you very much.

Most manufacturers have a power RIC/RITE that could work with this type of loss. Depending on the shape of your canal, you may be more comfortable with a custom earmold tip as apposed to a power dome though.

I’ve fit quite a few patients with a single-sided conductive loss with no problem at all. I wouldn’t be concerned about the sound crossing over to the other ear. The goal is to hear sounds from your “dead” side. It’s questionable that you would even perceive this. It may not be ideal, but that’s the hand you’ve been dealt, and the alternative is living with one ear.