Reasons for changing battery life?

I’ve been getting 7.5 days out of a battery (312 size - I have a single RIC Widex aid). The last 3-4 batteries, all from the same batch of bulk batteries, have been coming in at 7 days. Losing that extra 1/2 day isn’t a big inconvenience, it’s actually pretty nice that the battery runs dry the same time and the same day each week. I’m trying to figure out what might be different that would cost an extra 6-8 hrs of battery life. I wouldn’t think that environmental factors (temp/humidity) would make a big difference in a RIC aid. I don’t think my noise environment has changed all that much that would make the battery work harder. Maybe it’s just a difference in battery lots?

It can be just a small variation in the chemical mix with in the batch. I can be environmental, temperature, moisture, noise, you haven’t said anything about streaming. And it could be that something is changing in the aids such as an aging component. I can even be a stopped up wax guard or mic filter.

My Oticon HAs had something like an 8-day life in the summer and 7-days in the winter. So, if you’ve only just begun tracking battery life, it could be that the weather has turned a bit cooler where you live (as is the case here in MA, where it’s now snowing like a champ).

I haven’t had my Marvels long enough to get a bearing on battery life. I know that, if I eschew streaming, I’ll get more time than if I do stream.

I’ve avoided streaming. When I first got the aid I streamed a lot, and did a lot of other playing around with it and I still got 1/2 day extra battery life.

I stream all of my calls, and I stream the TV to my hearing aids. I notice about a day difference in how long the batteries last. But it is worth it to me. Streaming my calls is the only way I can hear on a phone, and streaming the TV is the best way for me to hear the voices.

Do you allow the battery to “breath” for a couple of minutes before placing it in the aid? It is known to give a little longer life by allowing air to get to the chemical inside the battery better, rather than taking the battery straight out of the pack & straight into the aid.

2 Likes

Here is a link to a Ray-O-Vac article on battery life. I see they recommend not putting batteries in a dryer overnight with the aids. I recall a hearing aid dryer company did a study which found the opposite. They claim life was extended by leaving the battery in the aids and putting them in the dryer.

Factors Affecting Hearing Aid Battery Life

Regardless, I can’t be bothered to take the batteries out of the aids, and just open the drawer a bit to turn them off. A few minutes either way on battery life is inconsequential as they are so cheap to buy at Costco.

Concerning this issue, I am a very happy camper. I have Phonak BTE UP aids with size 13 batteries. I was getting very close to 7 days with Ray-O-Vac and Duramax batteries. Now my audiologist is selling Power One (wireless approved) with their own logo on the package. These new batteries are giving me an extra one or two days in battery life on every change. It seems as if Power One has changed their formulation to get a bit more life out of their batteries.

Yes. I do properly allow the battery to activate. As far as I can tell, I haven’t changed anything.

At night I open the battery drawer to turn off the aid. This morning (Monday) I replaced it. I expect it will last until Sunday night (7 days), just like the last 4 or 5. Prior to that I would have expected it to last until Monday afternoon (7.5 days).

Similar to lgpiper’s post my “13”-batteries last at most 17 days in the summer and only 10-12 days in the winter. Now it’s starting the second winter here and the very different durations have been confirmed. I buy my packages in the winter so the batteries are not even fresh in the summer.

I’ve only had my aid since April, so this is my first winter. It will be interesting to see if battery life improves when temperatures and humidity start to rise again in the spring.