Real Ear Measure

That is not a real REM test, but is an In Situ calibration. A REM test is passive. You listen to some garbled speech from a speaker. The microphone measures the sound level in your ear and compares it to a target. It is done at three different sound levels. The In Situ test is a threshold test like an audiogram, and has some similar benefits to the REM. I would suggest the REM test is better as it measures sound from the outside and represents the combined effect of sound coming through the microphones and the ear fitting vents, as well as from the receiver (speaker) in your ear.

3 Likes

The real ear measurement has Nothing to do with how much gain there is. That is dependent on what prescription was used.

I did confirm from Applied Hearing what was done. From my description of the so called “REM” is actually called “functional gain testing and is not a good way to program for audibility.“

I am bit confused with adjusting the amplification of hearing aid using the manufacturer’s software like Target to meet the prescriptive target in REM. As an example when I adjust the amplification at different frequencies in the average speech level 65dB, I noticed that the numbers in either the soft or loud level speech goes up or down depending on the adjustments on the average speech level. So how can the HCP adjust the amplification on 50dB, 65dB, & 80 dB to match the REM if the curves are moving all together?