Ready to upgrade from Oticon Opn 1. Should I select Oticon More or Phonak Paradise?

I could hear speech better from those I was sitting with and those I talked to as I walked around to see the art.

2 Likes

Signia AX trial. FYI, These are rechargeable and after 15 hours, about 4 streaming, my HA are still 60% charged.

1 Like

Its awkward to wrap up cord to fit in cover. I’ve charged using USB in my vehicle while camping but now the right hearing aid won’t charge at all!

What is an UP hearing aid please?

Ultra Power. For severe to profound losses.

1 Like

I have been wearing Signia AX demo aid for about 3 weeks and am VERY impressed with speech in noise. I basically have stopped attending functions where there will be more than about 8 people because I could only “nod and smile.”

However, I attended a large “pot luck” dinner with the Signias and deliberately sat in the middle of a table of 10 - 12 and by using the “focus” feature, I could understand any speaker I was facing!!!
I also attended a party of about 70 in a large room with seating at tables for 8 and again, with focus feature had good success at understanding everyone at my table!!

I will be attending a large backyard Quincenera this weekend where much of the conversation will be in Spanish which I do not understand and I am looking forward to being able to pick out the conversations I CAN understand!!!

I have been playing with a lot of demo aids over the last year. Of course, NOT in noisy situations!! But my impression so far is that these are far superior for those situations!!! And the price here is reasonable!

3 Likes

Great to hear of your success! I’m trying out the Signia AX too and find I hear much better in noise after using the Hearing Assistant feature. But the Directional Hearing feature on the app doesn’t seem to help me much. Is that what you mean by the Focus?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I’m watching this myself, keep everyone updated on your progress, always good to hear people’s experiences on the latest models.

1 Like

I had try the phonak p90 and oticon more1 and starkey livio ai 2400. I think oticon more1 is better than phone p90 in the Big supermarket.

1 Like

And what about the Starkey Livio AI 2400? Where does it stand? Thanks.

1 Like

I think starkey livio ai 2400 the sound quality is worse than p90 and oticon more.But starkey livio ai 2400 is louder than phonak p90.I don‘t like starkey livio ai 2400.

1 Like

That was because I was listening to some music from my satellite receiver. Like you I have thousands tied up my my stereo (got some great deals when I lived in Germany) I just listen to the satellite once in a while when I feel like listening to some music I don’t have, and I am doing something else at the time to.

More about my trial of the rechargeable Paradise. When I picked up 2 days ago, my Audi had forgotten to charge them. She got enough charge while I was there to program, but clearly did much less setting up than with the previous trial of the Signia AX. She had trouble pairing the HA to my iPhone, and decided it was due to need for more charging. Once I got the ha fully charged at home I was having trouble too until I remembered that the Paradise are not MFI. MFI is a proprietary form of Bluetooth from Apple. Paradise is the first HA available with standard Bluetooth like commercial headsets use. I’ve learned this is called Classic Bluetooth. So I opened in Bluetooth instead of under Accessories, hearing Aids. Under BT, after I turned the aids on and off to put them in pairing mode, R-Phonak hearing aid showed up. So it was easy to pair. I don’t know why it says R, and no L shows up, but I’m getting streaming in both ears. I’ll try today to see if I can pair them directly to the TV.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly from helping Veteran at the VA clinic, only ne aid shows, and the sound is passed from the right aid to the left, I remember he said I could hear in stereo so I am not sure how that works. But I do remember that May the R aid showed on the phone.

1 Like

Phonak trial - the myPhonak app has more functionality than I expected but it’s not easy to navigate around. It’s more complicated to pair to this app than with Oticon. It appears to use a separate type of BT for pairing to the app. After I got the app paired, it showed up in my iPhone Settings under Bluetooth as LE- L hearing aid and LE- R hearing aid. This is in addition to the R-Phonak hearing aid already listed from my pairing to the phone.

3 Likes

Phonak uses a master/slave system. The right aid is default master. Your fitter can set the left or right as master. Whichever aid is master communicates with the other aid.
If you carry your phone in your front left pocket I have read it is best to set the left aid as master.
Enjoy those aids, hands free phone calls are very nice.

1 Like

With the Paradise, there are many ways to change the programming. I’m frankly finding it confusing. I made various changes last night at a noisy restaurant. Then today, I got on a Zoom session and the voices were distorted! I managed to improve the clarity after trying various options.

An Audi on the Zoom (she was the speaker) followed up with me afterward to say:

Also, to address the issue with your new Paradise aids, did you try decreasing the high pitches on your app? It’s possible you were getting too much high pitched amplification, which would make sense if you are primarily used to Oticon hearing aids (Phonak gives more emphasis to high pitches than Oticon). In addition, your audiologist can try turning on / turning off SoundRecover II or changing the type of Bluetooth the aids default to. Hopefully you were able to fix the issue.

I’m sure many on the forum would like the Paradise ability to fine tune, but I think I prefer the Signia AX approach of going A or B choices.

Also the sound quality on the Paradise is quite different. Sharper. Less comfortable than Oticon and Signia. So it probably is the difference in how Phonak and Oticon handles high pitches. Maybe I’ll get used to it before I return these demo Paradise HA.

I do like the Classic BT instead of MFI. I paired the Paradise HA to the TV last night the same way my husband paired his Sony wireless earbuds. So no expensive TV adapter needed for each TV.

5 Likes

I very much look forward to hearing your experience with the Signia AX line. I want to demo the 7x version of the charge and go. My biggest issue is speech intelligibility. Currently demoing the new Resound instruments and my daily wear is a 3 year old set of Resounds. Linx Quattro or something like that, I don’t remember. I started a new thread asking if anyone had demoed the new AX line, love the dual processor approach to enhance speech.

1 Like

I really like the Signia Charge & Go 7AX for hearing speech in noise. It is a lot better than my 5 year old Oticon1. You can use the hearing assistant feature on the app to get them set very well for noisy environments like a loud restaurant. See my previous comments.

2 Likes

Excellent.
I am searching for information and your post is really interesting.

I’ve fired my audiologist, and found another. I’m pursuing new hearing aids that work!

Dave
Toronto