Ready to give up and live in silence!

I am so horribly down after going to Johns Hopkins yesterday. I cant afford a cochlear implant, so I was investigating hearing aids and I came across a few that are right for my loss. I contacted hearingplanet.com and asked for an audi in my area. I thought I’d go thru them because they do all the follow up with you…well things got more complicated by the second and I am overwhelmed. I called the audi I wanted in the first place, and they said they won’t accept my audiogram because it wasnt done by an audiologist, it was done by a hearing aid manager at Costco. Damn. Johns Hopkins was ready to take my audiogram for gospel to do a Cochlear implant but it isn’t good enuf for these folks at the new audi? I wanted phonaks because of the new sound they offer, sound restore, and now I am about ready to go back to Costco. Im so upset, confused, over ridden and feel horrible about the whole thing. I’m only 47 and I can just imagine what jumping thru hoops does to the seniors trying to navigate this mess for themselves.

Cochlear Implant people probably would have done a lot more testing before performing surgery. I don’t think I really blame the audiologist. He doesn’t know the accuracy of the hearing test and doesn’t want to fit you with aids based on a test he didn’t perform. Be a little flexible and a bit more open minded and patient. Being fitted for hearing aids taes time. Try different brands. Don’t insist on one brand when you have little of no experience with any other brand or any hearing aids at all.

Hang in there. Hearing loss is frustrating, finding a competent audiologist in your area is challenging, and the technology is daunting. If it were easy it wouldn’t be fun, would it?

Hask12 is right, the audi is right to want a current audiogram - it is the basis for recommending and programming an instrument, so any errors in it will propagate through the entire process.

You are relatively young and will have to (or “get to”) go through buying hearing aids several times in the future. Use this as a learning experience on how to choose an audiologist, how to try different instruments, how to badger the audiologist into correctly tuning it, and so forth. It is not for the faint of heart but the results can be worth the hassle.

Hang in there, there are quite a few knowledgeable and friendly people on this Forum, who will help you out.

Regards,
Andrew

All the above posts are right on.

The only thing I can add would be is, as a hearing aid user it pays to be educated and informed. The more you know and understand the better decision you will make. Read and then read more on this forum. As you learn you will ask questions and the members will help you.

Good luck

are you upset that you have to take another test or that you’re afraid that you might have to pay for an exam? Many places roll the cost of an exam in to the cost of the aid. However, even if your insurance won’t cover an aid, many time the insurance will cover the exam. Check with your benefits person. While I don’t doubt the accuracy of your exam, I felt better when I saw my second exam and saw that it was very similar to the first.

Go in and ask them to write down the prices for everything if you are feeling like you don’t know what you will get for your money. Ask them what it won’t cover. They should be able to do that for you even before any exams. Find out how the prices differ if you buy through Hearing Planet and then go local. If they’re not willing to write it down, go somewhere else (meaning, you don’t hear well, they should be willing to make certain that you understand–not meaning that prices should never change.)

Thanks everyone. Hask 12, I was evaluated for a cochlear implant. They took my audiogram 100% for accuracy and weren’t going to perform another test. I never said I didnt have experience with hearing aids. I know what I want and now I am getting them. I had experience with digital ITC and digital ITE back in the 90s. I DID give the audi a new (March 5th) audiogram. They still wanted me to come in for one in their office and I told them you just lost a sale. 1.Because they wouldnt take a 2 week old audiogram 2, because they said a costco audiogram was not credible and 3. they wouldnt build the price of the test into the aid. Hopkins was ready to take the audiogram for a SURGICAL procedure and this audi wouldnt. Now you see where I am coming from? Finally I went online and typed in my audiogram on a site. He is letting me trial them for 90 days. Phonak III, and will program the sound recover for my loss. So it may be more of a headache…who knows…but the price is right. I got 2 for the price of one. This fact has calmed me down … a lot!

I’m glad it all worked out for you.

CI would be the best way to go 4 your left ear

I get a bit annoyed with having to have a load of hearing tests just to look at different brands of aids. I go to a place that only carries one brand and they test my hearing. I go to a place that sells Siemens they want to test my hearing. I go to a place that sells Phonaks and they want to test my hearing. It’s just tiresome! My hearing is fluctuating anyway, I can understand that they have to have some indication of a loss in order to dispense a prescription device, but it’s not really a good system for me.

I guess it’s a comparison between someone who wants prescription birth control you always need to take one pill each day, it doesn’t change. But someone on prescription insulin takes a daily evaluation of how much they need to inject and when based on their meals, and if the doctor prescribed them an exact amount each month it would not be appropriate. I need flexibility, and testing my hearing this morning will not tell you what I will hear tomorrow.

Insurance coverage of CI is usually better than for hearing aids, if you are intersted have you checked out on some CI sites to see if anyone in your state knows more about the funding system? You might be able to fight it.

So anyway, where did you get Phonaks online? That is a mission of mine, and Phonak normally have the market well sewn up that you must go into a dispensing office. I can find a place that will mail the Phonaks out to my local audiologist for programming, but I have to find someone who will program them for me, which people not only don’t seem to want to do but are very reluctant to give me a price for.

Although I can understand the annoyance of duplicate hearing tests, is it really fair to expect someone to fit an individual for hearing aids based on an audiogram done by someone unknown? If the audiogram is wrong the aids won’t work. Then the current fitter gets all the grief. I doubt very much that anyone is trying to rip off anyone here. As a matter of fact I think is shows that the new fitter is being professional and trying to provide high quality service. If you insist that the old audiogram is to be used, fine. But then no complaints. When I go to an ENT he runs the tests. When the ENT sends me to an audiologist the audi then does another test. I have no problem with that even though I hate doing the tests again.

They are coming on Monday. Just got an email from them today… they are
hearingcenterusa.com

Its not the annoyance it was the fact that Hopkins was ready to accept the audiogram and this place wouldnt. And the audiogram was only 2 weeks old.

are you getting earmolds? does hearingcenterusa.com provide them? I’m assuming they’re just putting in your audiogram and pushing the “first fit” button - will they provide proper audiological fitting? what about adjustments if needs be?
Sorry I’m not meaning to sound alarmist - just making sure the money you save in the short term won’t cost you more in the long run…

sorry guys i can see why clinics would prefer their own audiogram…as an example last week I had two different clients come in with dodgy audiograms from other providers. The first was a lady fitted 18 months ago with one hearing aid…the audiogram showed a flat severe hearing loss both ears (70-90dB)…this lady could freely converse when i walked behind her so i knew something was amiss…turns out she has a mild low-mid frequency loss with recovery to normal in the high frequencies…no wonder her hearing aid didn’t “work”!
The second again had one aid and complained everything was always way too loud…the audiogram showed normal hearing on the left and a mild to modertae loss on the right…turns out it was the other way around and the aid had been fitted to the wrong ear!

When you’ve seen this type of thing you can understand why some clinics want their audiogram…it could be a sign they know what their doing and want a sound starting point.I also insist on my own audiogram butif someone has a recent one I offer to do another at no charge.

It’s buyer beware out there guys…hearing aid dispensers are no different to mechanics/doctors/dentists/hairdressers etc etc in that their abilities range from crapola to outstanding…and you need both a good clinician AND a good hearing aid for a good outcome…havinng one and not the other just won’t cut it.

I suppose it depends on local and state laws as to the quality of any audiogram, but I think a signed document with a professional’s professional number on it should be taken to be correct. When my doctor gives me a prescription I expect the pharmacist to dispense it without examining me again. When the optician tests my eyes I expect to be able to take that prescription anywhere and be served with glasses matching that prescription, that’s the law in this country for any test within date (“in date” varies with age). So unless there are doubts about the qualifications of a person conducting the test (in which case should they be permitted under state, local, federal law to conduct tests?) the audiogram should be valid wherever you go for a fixed period of time provided they ask if you think your hearing has changed since it was done.

I agree Rose.

I thought of all that stuff, but thanks for alerting me. There is a local audi who works with him who will see me if I need earmolds, or attention to anything that has to be done in person. I’m willing to do this for the huge discount.

I have found that the accuracy of my eye exam can vary from one optician to another. Not by a lot but there can be a difference. I would think the same can be true for an audiogram. But let’s look at it another way. You go to another audiologist, try several aids, get them adjusted, and after a month or so you say you’re just not happy with them, for one reason or another. What’s the one area that going to be questioned?

I agree with RoseRodent.

Playing Devil’s Advocate here now…

Then why should we trust ANY test results being given? If Audi/ENT/BC-HIS number two does a test because they don’t trust test #1 results… and Audi/ENT/BC-HIS number 3 does a test because they don’t trust test results #2, then it stands to reason that…

…“No one knows what they’re doing and NO test should be trusted… even the ones being immediately done are wrong too!”

I guess then I should NEVER trust my Doctor, BC-HIS, Optometrist, Pharmacist, etc., ever again because the next person in line that I go to will have to test me because the results of the tests from my first one was wrong. Gee… it’s nice to know there’s such incompetency running ramped throughout the medical/HA field!

Guess I’ll just stay home and hide in my closet so not to be subjected to such shoddiness!

Shi-Ku (Who’s scared to see his BC-HIS now.) :rolleyes: Chishiki

If I’m an audi and I am going to invest my time and effort to provide the best service I can, to fit the patient with aids to the best of my ability, to try to do the best job I possibly can, I would think that knowing the audiogram is accurate is essential to me providing the service I want. No one is saying all audiograms are inaccurate, but how do I know that the one you are handing me is accurate? You’re spending thousands of dollars on aids. Trying to cut corners on the most essential part of a fitting, to me, doesn’t seem to make sense.