Reading audiogram

When I read some posts,I see the acronym NR next to some frequencies.What does NR represent?I am thinking it stands for no response,and this means a dead zone,is this correct?And does anyone know of a good glossary,acronym site for hearing loss.TY

Audiometers are limited in their output to 125-135 db. so if the is no response from the person being tested, the audiologist uses NR as a marking. It’s possible that the person being tested does have hearing at a NR frequency, but the instrument is not loud enough to determine or measure it.

NR means No Response … no more, no less.

It doesn’t always indicate that dreaded beast known as a ‘Dead Zone’.

Actually, 120 dB HL is the typical limit to clinical audiometers, and a lot can’t even achieve that output, especially at higher frequencies. It’s useful to know what the limits of the equipment are; we’ve had to retire one or two newer audiometers because they simply didn’t have the capacity to do the necessary testing.

Thanks for bringing me up-to-date.

Err - outside a hospital or university, who wants to test at over 120 dB?

Maybe to confirm a conductive loss … but even then 120 dB should suffice.

If you stick 135 dB into the ear of a typical client you deserve the legal case that might result.

In the '50’s the hearing test lab that I remember going to, they actually required a key to ‘unlock’ the higher decibels; and the test button was labeled “Blast Off” by a funny technician…of course, they did their own calibration using an HP sine wave generator model 300B and an oscilloscope. Instruments were always left on to retain their calibration…sorry-just reminiscing

Most audiometers in the past and even today cap out at 100 or 110db HL at 500Hz to 4000Hz and 90db at 250Hz, 8000Hz. The high end $3000-5000+ audiometers go to 120db, 125db, even 130db. I really wonder what frequencies an audiometer that goes to 130db tests at. Just 1000Hz or several frequencies? I haven’t seen a such list.

A NR at 120db HL is automatically considered a dead zone(for SNHL) my own audiologist said no HA can aid a 120db loss due to no dynamic range, limitation of HA and pain threshold. This is true for me, I “hear” at 115-120db in the high frequencies, but HAs do zip for me above 1000Hz or so.

How high did those retired audiometers go to? If 110db HL or even 100db HL, this would be good for most people. HAs can’t really help you at 8000Hz so testing that frequency basically alerts you to early signs of hearing loss. Really, only 250Hz to 4000Hz need to be tested. Testing 125Hz is much more important than 8000Hz in my opinion.

I know several audiologists who stop at 115db HL because 120db HL is the pain threshold. Many audiologists still have audiometers that max out at 110db HL and see no point spending $$$$$$$ on a high end audiometer that can do 120db HL.

How high did that audiometer go to and how much higher when unlocked? All the older audiometers I see, they max out at 100db HL or so.