Reaction to new earmolds?

I’ve worn hearing aids for 45 years, my entire adult life. My loss requires custom molds. I’m having trouble getting used to these new aids. The first day is great but my ears itch the next morning and there’s a clear fluid inside the ears. I do not sleep with the aids in. I returned the aids and the audi says that the molds are hypo allergenic but were sent back to the manufacturer. I went back to my old aids. Same problem when the new ones came back. I decided to go with a different brand but I’m seeing the same problem after the first day. What do I need to do to get used to these new aids? Should I be using an anti itch cream before I insert? What is the clear fluid?

1 Like

I went to hard molds about a year ago it took both me and my ears a while to get use to them itcing, and the moisture in my ears. But I made up my mind that I would tough it out and after a while I adjusted. Sometimes my ears itch when they do I can scratch them or take a q-tip and dry them (yes I know that’s a no no my choice). It just takes a little time, determination, and patience like any other new habit we want to start. For me it was worth the effort to get over the issues. YMMV

3 Likes

Hi @aferack… Try Miracell Pro Ear for Dry, Irritate, Itching, Skin Relief Lotion… Amazon sells it, use it very sparingly, this tiny bottle will last you months, it goes a long way, rub a little on the offending mold, or rub in directly to the ear, there are loads of us on here that use Miracell… It’s excellent stuff! Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

aferac, I don’t know what material your molds are made from, but like you, I’m a SUPER long-time wearer of HAs.

I am highly allergic to the clear plastic or pink-tinted so-called “hypo-allergenic” ear molds. Both times I trialed these molds, I ended up with otitis. I can tolerate the shiny, flesh-colored molds, but no longer wear that model of ITE aid. Luckily, I’m not allergic to the soft silicone double-dome tips, so that is what I have on my Phonak Lumity Life speakers.

Even the custom, firm, clear, silicone molds cause my ear canals to flare RED, itch and burn like the dickens. If that isn’t an allergic reaction, what is?

So try either a different material of mold, or forget the mold and go with a soft, silicone dome. Mine are a dark topaz color cuz my audi told me that a few patients were allergic to the clear domes!

Hope you get this sorted out… but definitely put NOTHING in the ear canals if possible till all the redness is gone.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the responses. When I was trialing the Resounds, they went back to the manufacturer because of the reaction to the molds. They were supposedly hypoallergenic material and were the hard, shiny, skin color, and I could see the receiver inside the mold. When I got them back, they felt more comfortable, not as “tight”, but I still had the same problem. I could not wear them after one day. I ended up going with Oticon, which I’m trialing now. These molds are not as hard. I had tried the Miracell when I had the Resounds, but that didn’t seem to help the itch. I tried an oil for itch, but that didn’t help either. Someone told me to try Neosporin so I just used it yesterday. I think this may be the fix. The oil based stuff seemed to soak into the Q-tip instead of coating the ear. The Neosporin has a gel consistency and I am able to better coat the inside of the ear. I’m hoping I don’t need this stuff after today. Again, thanks for all the feedback

Hi, Neosporin doesn’t seem to be available in the UK.
Can you tell me the constituents please…

Neosporin is also known as Triple Antibiotic Ointment, a cheaper alternative. In the US, we can purchase it in a Dollar store. Active ingredients are Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin, and Polymyxin D Sulfate

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve seen triple antibiotics mentioned on other posts.

If you can “see” anything inside a mold like this, my guess is that it is ACRYLIC. That material - in any shade, stripe or color - is what I’m highly allergic too. You can’t “see” anything through the shiny, flesh-colored mold I’m talking about here:

Flesh

These Oticons that I picked up last week appear to be of the same type as my older Resounds. I can see the receiver through the “acrylic”? Anyway, I was using Neosporin to help with any reaction. Today was the first day I didn’t use the Neosporin so I’m hoping my ears have adapted. So far, so good. I wonder if I would have used the Neosporin with the Resound Omnia, I may have been able to adapt. Things happen for a reason though. I think I may be understanding speech a bit better with the Oticon.

If you have fluid in the ears, I wouldn’t experiment around and run the risk of getting an ear infection. To be on the safe side, I suggest you see an ENT-Ear Nose Throat doctor.