Rayovac

Spent some time with a number of Folks at Rayovac regarding their 312 batteries and packaging and branding as well as on the phone with a big box resellers customer service folks…

Some of what I learned…

1. all Rayovac hearing aid batteries are identical from Rayovac regardless of branding… Private label such as Kirkland, Proline, extra, retail store , battery club etc… ALL ARE IDENTICAL batteries IF FROM THE MANUFACTURER RAYOVAC/spectrum brands.

2. One of the big box stores that is discussed in these forums that had a 30 pack and now a 40 pack… both are by Rayovac… The 40 pack says 1.45 bolts although the 30 pack from at least one year ago also were 1.45 volts although they did not specify that higher voltage on the packaging.

3. the big box store has change from the EXTRA name on the batteries to a store brand name… but still same battery just a changed price… (LOWER per unit ~ HIGHER NUMBER PER PACKAGE)

4. Big box store spent over $30,000 dollars evaluating HA batteries before settling on Rayovac as their “store BRANDED” battery… they also compared performance to (among others) a German made battery which apparently would have been able to have been sold at a lower price as it was offered to the Reseller at a lower price.

5. Regardless of the higher cost for the Rayovac made batteries… they chose them after their own purportedly “totally independent” testing due to the results.

6. FYI it apparently cost Rayovac about $1 MILLION DOLLARS in research related expenses TO GAIN A 3% INCREASED battery life/reliability in their last round of product improvements.

I found this all very interesting… I am not an engineer. I am new to HA usage. I just hate having to change batteries as it is a constant reminder of my lack of self independence on a 5 day cycle.

I was curious and called the manufacturer and the big box reseller to find out if there was a manufacturing change with the removal of EXTRA and the addition of the in house branding and change in packaging quantity etc…

Interestingly I had been considering trying the German made/branded Batteries… as I only get 5 days with my Future branded aids using the stores supplied free batteries…

My telephone research has convinced me to not bother as I am about to become one of the regular consumers of purchased batteries.

If anyone has other facts that are not consistant with anything above… please post them… Thanks in advance… I am just trying to be a very informed consumer with a medical need.

YMMV

MAJOR CORRECTIONS to battery and life and heat and humidity from Rayovac DIscussions

Just when you think you have the correct information… NOT ALL RAYOVAC hearing aid batteries are in fact the same.

They have a second quality called D RATED… one of the D rated brands is Xcell…
I have been told the difference between the D Rated is less life and less price…
These are not sold by the big box stores or the national chains but thru Some other channels. They are less expensive for the Audiologist and others who does not want to pay for the non D rated products…

FYI Costco DOES NOT SELL D rated but the higher rated product …

ALso…

Unless you can SHUT OFF your hearing aid… then removal of battery or opening the door will extend the life in the new digital aids as the wifi is constantly pinging for connection and the aids increased draining (vs just open tabbed) continues sound or no sound…

Heated dryers will dry out the battery faster if you sweat allot … but they will also shorten the life of the battery… But over 60% humidity does as well…

Most homes are not over 60% IF AIR CONDITIONED… apparently RayoVac likes 52% HUMIDITY…BEST (that is what makes them perform best as that is what the inside of the battery operates peak performance/life with…HIGHER HUMIDITY AND HIGHER HEAT shorten the life… so heated dryer is a trade off and depends on how moist your batteries have become…

The prior comment that open vs closed door life being only minutes different in life… only related to aids that were totally SHUT OFF

I WAS TOLD…Apparently independent testing showed that RayoVac lasted 10% longer then the German Manufactured zinc battery…

I WAS also told SOME of The German made batteries and some of the Asian batteries still have mercury in them… not all of them

Just when you think you have all of the facts…

If you state your goals then the members of this forum can possibly tie these bits of info together somehow. Ideally i’d think you’d get graphs so you can pick your own tradeoffs but I doubt it is in the interest of manufacturers to put these tradeoffs into the public record.

There is a tolerance on battery mAh ratings, let’s say X +/- 3% mAh.
Normally this would mean that half of the product that gets shipped is above and half is below the X capacity but with batteries I think that almost all are below X.
Who’s going to know? Most consumers are not going to test for this and in the US pursuing a case for fraud or material breach of contract against almost any corporation will not get you much.

graphs are out there for Rayovac, and a number of the other manufacturers by hearing aid battery size… Google opens the world… THe graphs for Rayovac I found on their European SIght as was tru for the German Made on the German Site and the South Korean on the South Korean Sites.

I am not able to post links to the pdf files as I am a “newbie”… For the most part THE DATA SHEETS ARE OUT THERE for those who wish to review the published manufacturer data via Google or Bing.

No where on RayoVac sites did I find anything about two grades of Hearing Aid Batteries… nor graphs for two different grades… NOR THE LSITING OF WHICH OF THEIR 300 PLUS BRANDS/LABELING are which grade… but after a number of calls to various RayoVac personnel I got info which I am sharing here as a “Parrot” not as an analysis.

I am not authenticating it… Just sharing it and asking everyone if they have any other information that may differ from what I am trying to discover for my own use.

If others benefit from my research on the topic great… If others are bothered by it… I suggest they “Page Down” when they see my posts. If the Forum manager wants me to not post… I am happy to accommodate their request.

So that said… all we can do ask questions and try to sort out the consistencies and inconsistencies, and continue to reconfirm “facts” until we make our own decisions as to what we will do as individuals.

This forum site has been a wealth of info for me… But in the end I had to make my own decision and trade off for Brand of Aid and what Branding and channel I was going to buy them thru… and now I am working on brand of Batteries.

You might already be there for yourself.

YMMV

jupiter, thanks for the post… some of the folks (?tahW & gbynum) on this forum seem to have a battery fetish.

Thanks for the information, Jupiter!

I find your conduct offensive, and if you are a female, just short of extraordinary.

if you read my other posts you would know I’m a female… and I find your constant ‘cut and paste’ replies intended to make people think you are smart offensive and not contributing to the spirit of this forum. I have more or less mentioned where I work, what I do and my qualifications.

Opened a new zinc battery from a pack I have had for a while and using weekly (5 days per battery)

no activation when strip pulled
cleaned three holes …no activation
waited 3 minutes… no activation

opened another… no activation

went looking for new package of batteries…

one last time tried first opened and… it had activated about 5 minutes after tab pull…

resealed the second one… (being hopefull)

It appears to me that some batteries are taking longer to activate… which I guess is a good thing for shelf life as the tab covering the holes must be a higher quality sealant. or… the battery more fully packed with material so longer to get air/moisture in…

I also wiped with water and rubbed the tops trying to get the holes clean to activate. …

in the end… after about five minutes the first one started to work…

Has anyone else run into this with any brands… I am 3 months into aids… and up until the last 5 batteries all worked basically upon opening… now they are taking longer to activate…

I might have to start opening batteries after first low battery notice instead of waiting for full death…

Please advise

YMMV

With my Futures, I get 5 days no matter what kind/brand of battery (at least, for all the brands I’ve tried), so I buy mine from the lowest price provider…usually e-bay or Amazon.

I posted this in another thread but last month I took my batteries out of the HA’s each night, taped over the air holes and left them out of the Dry n Store, what I found was I gained an extra 4 1/2 days of battery life. Without taking them out of the HA’s but opening the battery door every night I was getting 12 days out of Rayovak batteries, by taking them out, taping over the air holes I got 16 1/2 days. So if you want to take the trouble of doing this you might get a few more days out of your batteries.

costco 9.99 for 40

$27.75 for 120 312’s on e-bay…:slight_smile:

is it better to keep the brown tab that came with the battery and use this as the taped over?:confused:

Does anyone know what the new Platinum label means (if anything) on the I-Cell battery? Is it just a name change? New Marketing? Positioning? or a real change to their product?

Any direct experience with I-cell platinum made in Korea vs Rayovac?

They are claiming “the fastest growing” hearing aid battery… not sure that means anything other then perhaps pricing or better sales and distribution mechanism…

What does their new Platinum mean? I have searcher their site and the net to no avail.

Thanks in advance…