Quick Review: Even headphones

My wife kindly bought me a pair of Even headphones as a gift. These headphones give a hearing test and then create an “earprint” to equalize the sound. They are over the ear, but I find they are not comfortable to wear along with my hearing aids. I wear them instead of the HAs to listen.

As bluetooth headphones, they are the best I’ve had regarding their bluetooth connectivity. While the bluetooth isn’t always quite as solid as the MFI connection to the hearing aids, they are generally quite solid and reliable.

The battery charge lasts far longer than any bluetooth headphones.

To compensate for my hearing loss, they don’t give quite enough boost to the high frequencies. My hearing loss is not as severe as many have, but still, these headphones don’t quite give enough compensation for someone with real hearing loss, as I have.

Overall, they sound better than streaming music to the Oticon OPNs, because they have a fuller, richer sound and much better bass. However they don’t sound as nicely bright as listening to live music or my good speakers with the hearing aids in.

The compensation does make a huge difference, even if it’s not enough. There’s a button to turn it off; when I turn it off they really sound bad – I guess like any normal headphone would sound now that I’m getting used to a better sound thanks to both these headphones and the hearing aids in my normal life. Now that I’m adapted to HAs, my normal hearing sounds pretty dull and bad, used to take it for granted. Three months ago, before hearing aids, I was happy enough listening to uncorrected headphones and didn’t know what I was missing. Who knew that singers were actually articulating words that might be understood?

I guess ideally headphones that fit over the HAs comfortably would have been the best, but it seems like that might be tricky. I guess they would have to have pretty huge cans. These are smallish cans, and press against the hearing aids if I try to wear them with the headphones.

So I use them for chores, gardening, streaming from the mac at night, without hearing aids. They are indeed better than streaming to the hearing aids and obviously better than normal headphones with no correction. I’m guessing that most of us who actually are using hearing aids have too much hearing loss for these to fully correct.

0 Likes

Thank you for this review, I have those in a list of possible choices. I’m curious what other BT headphones you have had in regard to the BT connectivity statement you make.

0 Likes

I buy ITE specifically so that I can wear normal over the ear headphones. There is just no comparison at this point to streaming to the ear. Even my wireless headphones sound great this way. I have a set of older Sennheiser RS-120 (or 140, can’t remember) and the 900MHz link is so solid I can listen to my stuff two doors away. 2.4GHz just doesn’t compare.

0 Likes

Interesting. It’s always good to have more options for music, but I wonder if they can go loud enough for say 60db hearing loss when it sounds like they are not really designed for hearing aid users.

0 Likes

Other bluetooth headphones I’ve had were Jaybird ear buds. I also have a cheap no-name Chinese pair of bluetooth earbuds that is actually a bit better than the Jaybirds – maybe a generation of newer technology or Apple OS upgrades have helped since I lost the Jaybirds.

I wonder if they can go loud enough for say 60db hearing loss

I can’t find any hard data on how much boost they give for the correction. They certainly can go loud, so if your hearing loss is a pretty flat curve with minor bumps it will be fine. I think though with a ski slope loss of 60 DB they are not going to correct the higher frequencies even close to all the way. Like I said, it’s better than uncorrected headphones, but with a moderate to severe ski slope loss it won’t sound like speakers or live music with hearing aids on.

One thing I wonder: I know my OPN HAs were set up with REM and set to limit the HA output below a level that would damage my ears. The Even headphone setup obviously can’t do that, so it seems that if playing music loud and then also boosting the high frequencies by another 60db, that could be a level that could damage our hearing even more. So probably they are conservative my design.

Basically my sound input world goes like this: If in the kitchen, livingroom, or my office, where I have speakers, I listen with HAs through the stereo, music program on. Sounds great! Podcasts, audio books, etc: stream to the OPN Hearing Aids from iOS. Sounds great and works flawlessly. Music away from the speakers, or staying up late after my wife goes to bed: the Even headphones sound much better than uncorrected headphones, reasonably good, and in fact better than anything I heard 2 months ago before I got HAs.

0 Likes