Questions on Siemens Pure Micon performance and pricing

My wife is ready for new hearing aids. The Audi suggested at a minimum she should go with the Pure Micon 3mi and quoted $3550 with the recharging station for the pair. She also suggested the Micon 5mi as a step up in performance with a price of $4550 for the pair with the recharging station. This seems to run about $800-$1000 more per pair then what I see online. Is this typical or is is the price a little steep from an Audi’s office? Also is the 5mi really much better than the 3mi to be worth the upgrade? I know that the warranty is longer on the 5mi which I do like. The 5mi tech is supposedly better for crowds and riding in the car than the 3mi, which is very important to my wife, but I know manufacturers will just throw stuff out to differentiate the lines and there frequently isn’t that much real world difference.

Also, is the recharging station really a good thing? If the batteries run out and she doesn’t have time to wait for recharge, can she still just throw in a set of standard batteries? How long in real world use do they last before you have to buy new rechargeables?

the internet folks have no over-head compared to your local AuD.

yes, she can use standard batteries, the recharge from Siemens is also a dryer. with 312 she should get a min of 14+ hours… with 13’s she will get well over 20 hours.

— Updated —

the internet folks have no over-head compared to your local AuD.

yes, she can use standard batteries, the recharge from Siemens is also a dryer. with 312 she should get a min of 14+ hours… with 13’s she will get well over 20 hours.

So does $4550 for the Micon 5mi seems like a fair price given overhead? Just not sure what other people find these run with their local audi’s? And is the 5mi worth the upgrade over the 3mi?

Do you have a Costco nearby? They sell the Rexton Quintra for $2700/pair. It’s very similar to the Siemens Pure 7mi.

$2700/pair for the Rextons is a good deal IMO. They are basically the Siemens 7’s. The accessories are identical. The miniTek is well worth the additional cost. you DON"T need to hang it around your neck and comes with one TVLink and can support a second TVLink or a VoiceLink. Also pair with 2 phones in the phone prog and multiple bt devices in the minitek prog.

Costco is not really an option. its 75 minutes one way to the closest one. Just to go there once to buy would be fine, but to have to keep going back for adjustments and everything would not work for us.

seriously an hour drive is that big of a deal to basically get better aids for 1/2 the price?

Again, just to purchase would not be a problem. however, having to go back 3 or four times or more for follow up and to get things right becomes a major problem. Its four hours out of your day each time you need to go. Then you are dealing with kids and work and it becomes complicated and costly fast. We did this once before and it did not work out real well. I am not completely averse to it, but my wife is as she is the one that has to try to make it work all the time.

That is a fair quote for the 5mi’s, basically the same as what my audi quoted me. I decided to go with 7mi’s, as I have long hair and didn’t want to be fooling around with the HA’s, and wanted them to just change automatically from situation to situation.

How is the streaming audio quality with the Pures/minitek combo?

I got Siemens Pures with Minitek a couple months ago from the Veterans Administration and, overall, rate them as “good”, but not “excellent”. Streaming audio quality is quite acceptable to me, although it is a Bluetooth link with limited sampling rate, so not hi-fi.

I do not sense a strong expertise/thorough fitting, setup and problem-solving approach with the VA audiologists, but the technology has issues too. Since it takes a couple weeks to get an appointment there, the resolution is very prolonged, but the remaining issues are 1. receiver/cone constantly backing out of canal 2. my iphone connection generally picks up automatically and is quite comprehensible in a silent environment, but the “microphone off” selection is non-functional during a call so that the conversation is obliterated by the amplified ambient noise of my surroundings.

As a career-long manufacturer of high tech software and hardware for aviation, I assess the other functions of the MiniTek as “not yet ready for prime time”. They are heading in the right direction, and the overall processing of the Pure earpieces seem generally, but not dramatically, an improvement over my earlier Siemens Life units.
At this point, I am probably 60/40 leaning to returning them and trying something else that the VA audiologists are more up-to-speed with.

those at the VA are a bunch of quacks… and you evidently don’t understand the miniTek. go private and get the expert opinion you seek.

if you are getting into see a VA AuD in a couple of weeks you should buy some lottery tickets because you are the luckiest guy I know.

DJ,
You are obviously a person of strong opinions which, I trust, are well founded? Are you a vet too, with experience in VA foibles and strengths?
As for “evidently (you) don’t understand the miniTek”, I know you are correct there. But having pored over the entire suite of manuals, I find great deficiency.

— Updated —

DJ,
You are obviously a person of strong opinions which, I trust, are well founded? Are you a vet too, with experience in VA foibles and strengths?
As for “evidently (you) don’t understand the miniTek”, I know you are correct there. But having pored over the entire suite of manuals, I find great deficiency.

after you have tried some of the other devices get back to the forum and tell us how they compare.

— Updated —

after you have tried some of the other devices get back to the forum and tell us how they compare.

For whatever its worth— I will share my experience with Siemen’s Pure and Cielo hearing aids purchase on line from EBay.

My first hearing aid purchase was for a pair of Cielo hearing aids. The company I dealt with in CA tuned the hearing aids to my hearing curves that I got from a local audiologist. The pair was quickly delivered… within a couple of days… for a total cost of about $1800 or so for the pair that included the charger and the remote. These hearing aids improved my hearing somewhat BUT NOT GREATLY!

About two years later I ordered a set of Pures for about the same price as the Cielos. The Pures did improve my hearing but again…not greatly! Whenever I programmed the things (both Cielo & Pure) to high gain, I got FEEDBACK. After the first year or so, one of Pures FAILED. Fortunately Siemens changed the amplifier at no cost under warranty. Around the two year mark another failure and this time, Siemens charged about $250 to make the repair even though I sent proof the hearing aid was still under their two year warranty. I paid!

And later I had another failure with the Pures!!! Bullcrap! No way was I going to pay again. The reason for the failures was moisture. Just sweat getting into those pigs cause them to fail. I resorted back to my Cielos.

About three months ago one of my Cielo hearing aids went through our washing machine and still worked!!! Unfortunately last week one of the Cielos failed.

I am fed up paying big bucks for hearing aids even if highly discounted from the internet. I just ordered a Lotus 12SP delivered for $125 or so online from China. It is home now waiting for my return later today. The driving factors for ordering this hearing aid were cost, high audio gain and a T coil. I hope to use the T coil with an external amplifier to eliminate feedback IF I HAVE FEEDBACK PROBLEM.

I will post again after I have a chance to try out this new purchase. If this new purchase works well, I will order another to make up a pair.

Foggysail

thanks for the sales pitch…

— Updated —

thanks for the sales pitch…

Sales pitch from me??? I THINK NOT!!! I could care less what folks purchase. I get no “cut” from Siemens and for sure my above post held their $$$ aids in low esteem.

I wanted to share my experiences…and if what I post goes against somebody’s grain, then have my posts deleted, all two of them!

Foggysail

damn right… throw away those high prices aids and buy crap from the internet. right on brother them HA manufacturers are just out to steal everyone’s money.

— Updated —

damn right… throw away those high prices aids and buy crap from the internet. right on brother them HA manufacturers are just out to steal everyone’s money.

You must be in the high bucks hearing aid business. Sorry if internet competition is having a negative impact on your greedy wallet. There are many who suffer hearing deficiencies that cannot afford to spend $4000+ for hearing aids.

Your claim “crap from the internet” is countered by reality; most big name brands are found online at bargain prices. And as to “HA manufacturers just out to steal everyone’s money” …well maybe. They use Chinese manufacturers to make their products at very little cost and then charge usury prices at retail sites here in this Country.

Have a nice day

ain’t sold a hearing aid in 30 years… I give them away. you buy the cheapest pure online and then do your programming…maybe your programming talent sucks?

— Updated —

ain’t sold a hearing aid in 30 years… I give them away. you buy the cheapest pure online and then do your programming…maybe your programming talent sucks?