Questions On Costco's Rexton Revera

Hello,

I am new to hearing aids and this forum. I may soon be going with the Revera’s due to features for the price. I was wondering:which Sieman’s model they match and how the telecoil is activated. Also, it would be nice to know how are other users like the Revera.

I dont have a copy of my audiogram, but I believe I have what you guys call “ski slope” hearing. My low frequency hearing isn’t as bad as my high frequency hearing. I believe it showed on the border of moderate to moderate severe.

I just returned a pair of Audibel Virtue 12 OTE DSD’s to my HIS because I need a pair of HA with a telecoil for bluetooth. As an IT Systems Analyst, using the phone or cellphone handsfree at work is crucial for me. I tried the Virtues out for 2 weeks and really liked them, especially how comfortable they were.

My HIS deals almost strictly in Audibel and the Virtue 12’s were only $2990. with 2yr/2yr warranty. He is checking on the Audeo IX for me, and I have a feeling I won’t be getting as good a deal on the Audeo’s as I did the Virtues. I called a couple of local hearing centers today and they quoted $5500 and $6000 for the Audeo IX plus another $300 for the remote.

As much as I would like the Audeo’s, I think they are going to be out of my price range.

Mike

Costco is a good place to get hearing aids. I’ve had good hearing aids from them. The only thing is the aids they carry are not as advanced technologically.

You mention wanting a telecoil for bluetooth. Telecoils have nothing to do with bluetooth. Telecoils are for talking directly on the phone. Or you can use a bluetooth adaptor with a telecoil loop around your neck to talk to your hearing aids with a telecoil.

You might want to look into the Oticon Epoq or the Phonak Excelia aids that do have bluetooth as an integral part of their package. Not in the aids, but through direct communications with bluetooth enabled accessories.

I found answers to my questions by searching the forum. Although the questions are more or less moot now. I received a call back from the HIS and he quoted me $4400 including the remote for the Audeo IX’s. It’s stretching my budget, but I don’t think I could beat that price so I’m going for them.

Joesc,

You must posted while I was writing my previous post. Thank you. I should have been more clear, I do plan to use a telecoil loop with these.

I will take a look at the Epoq and Excelia. You say they don’t have the bluetooth in the aids. I take it they don’t have a telecoil either. What are they using to communicate with bluetooth enabled accessories?

The Epoq and Excelia aids do have telecoils, so you can talk on regular phones with them. Telecoils use magnetic induction to transmit sound. But depending on where you are, or what types of phone you use or equipment your around, the telecoil will pick up static as well. I notice this frequently when I’m working around CRT devices or high wattage appliance (servers, microwaves, etc.)

The Epoq and Excelia use other wireless technologies to transmit the data. Which supposedly reduce the possibility of interference.

joesc,

In reference to the telecoil loop. I am assuming that you wear this around you neck? Do you wear it under you shirt? Is there a battery? Can something like this be used with a cell phone? Sorry for so many questions, but it really does interest me.

I don’t use a telecoil loop now, although I have telecoils on my current hearing aids (Canta 7 over 3 years old) which I use when I’m on the phone. Although I’ve seen that the telecoil loops have been discussed in this site before. You can do a search. I’ve just seen im my personal experience that the telecoils are highly susceptible to interference in an unfriendly magnetic environment. Which unfortunately I seem to be in a lot of times.

I’m actually in the market for new aids, and looking at bluetooth enabled aids. But I’m waiting till after the trade show is over so that all the new aids are announced and available so I can make my final decision.

But at the moment, it seems like the Epoq, Excelia and possibly the Naidia are the best candidates for me now.

Very good. Thank you for the info.

[quote=joesc]I don’t use a telecoil loop now, although I have telecoils on my current hearing aids (Canta 7 over 3 years old) which I use when I’m on the phone. Although I’ve seen that the telecoil loops have been discussed in this site before. You can do a search. I’ve just seen im my personal experience that the telecoils are highly susceptible to interference in an unfriendly magnetic environment. Which unfortunately I seem to be in a lot of times.

I’m actually in the market for new aids, and looking at bluetooth enabled aids. But I’m waiting till after the trade show is over so that all the new aids are announced and available so I can make my final decision.

But at the moment, it seems like the Epoq, Excelia and possibly the Naidia are the best candidates for me now.[/QUOTE

oticon will launch epoq V, cheaper bluetooth instrument…

Significant improvement over canta 7

Canta is really an old product family…

So the upgrade is going to be a hughe one regardless if it is
Exelia or epoq…

Technically speaking, if you want to use your cellphone,
Azure (GN premium instrument) has a adapter you could use…

So if you are happy with what U got (brand) azure is the name

Yes, when I got my canta 7, it was the mid priced instrument at the time.

So your saying the Epoq V will be a significant improvement? Some other posters made it seem like it wasn’t that good, compared to the Epoq XW.

In terms of the brands, I’ve got no preference. I’ve had pretty much all of them in my almost 25 years of wearing hearing aids. They all work.

Although I’ve heard talk about the Azure bluetooth boot, I haven’t actually seen any literature on it. I’ve looked at the Azure and Resound web sites to no avail. If you could provide info, I’d appreciate it. Although I really like the stereo sound possibilities of the Epoq and Excelia through their wireless communications between aids.

HI everybody I’m new here. I have been lurking for awhile because I am back in the market for hearing aids. I last wore them about 12 years ago. Wow have things changed. I really like the new open fit styles but I’m not sure that they would work for me. I know I need a new test but here is the results from an online test I took last week. I know that these numbers are pretty close to where they should be. Both ears are pretty close also. Any suggestions?

20 - 30db @ 250 - 500
50db @ 1000
55 - 60 db @ 2000
65-75 db @ 4000

Thanks
I’m aware that there are many things to consider, just looking for starting points.

Hi John F,

First of all online testing can be EXTREMELY inaccurate. Have a look at this article: http://www.audiologyonline.com/theHearingJournal/pdfs/hj2008_03_p38-46.pdf

However you feel it looks like a previous test. If these thresholds are quite closen then an openfit device may very well be suitable (depending on ear canal size, etc.). Maybe have a test through an audi and discuss your options with them first.

Hearnow,

Thank you for the link. I know that I will have to be tested by an audi for a more accurate profile. However, from previous testing I can say that this is probably pretty close. Obviously, there are alot of things to consider but do you have any aid recommendations? Are the high end aids really worth the $ ? Is something with bluetooth the way to go or is using a neck loop satisfactory?

I know, alot of questions, but thank you for any info.

The choice of device is based on many factors of which your hearing loss is only one. You need to also consider your lifestyle, the priority you give cosmetics over functionality, willingness to accept limitations, expectations, finances etc.

Almost any type of openfit device should fit your hearing loss, improving your hearing in quiet, but your ability to hear in noise can differ significantly based on the chosen technology. Many openfit devices (with a few exceptions) do not have telecoil so if you want to use a neckloop you have to make sure it has telecoil. There are also premium products (expensive) like to Oticon Epoq and Phonak Exelia that are bluetooth capable through their own proprietary neck worn devices which include next generation wireless capabilities, which you could consider.