Questions from a new KS10 user

It sounds like maybe your hearing test was not accurate and flawed. If done incorrectly, I suppose the results could show more of a hearing loss than you really have, which would skew the adjustments making things could too loud or harsh. Or maybe some people have trouble adjusting to how loud some things really are when you hear them properly.

2 Likes

I have KS9s and had to get replacements a while back. I expected they would just transfer the settings on the lost pair to the replacement pair, but they ran REM again and programmed from scratch. I noticed the equipment they used was new from last time. I’m not sure what too “bright” means, but I think of these as too sharp. I’d rip them from my ears if I had to drive the car with them on the default setting.

Every morning I put them in and then turn them down 2 steps. There are no circumstances in which I can stand the default settings, but occasionally it’s useful to have them only one step down. I need to get back to Costco and talk to the audi about this and just haven’t done it because turning them down works, although the sound is still different and what I think of as sharper.

If my puppy really didn’t eat the old ones and I found them tomorrow, I’d use them and set these newer ones aside. The new and improved equipment has to be the reason for this difference.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the comments. It is very helpful to know that others have to make multiple trips to get it right. I will keep going back until they suit me. My fitter set mine at 90%. She asked me if she was too loud. She was loud even without the hearing aids, and very loud with them. But she left it at 90%. I lower the volume. Usually to -3. The static does not become inaudible until -4.

1 Like

It is not only Costco. I recall an Olson complaint about some manufacturers having/recommending “first fit” settings which purposely limit gain to facilitate new hearing aid customer acceptance. I have Costco aids, and they were fit at 80% until I went back and asked for them to be bumped. The Aud took them to 90% but did not want to go farther.

1 Like

My Costco fitter (1st last week) said Costco policy is 100%, but was willing to reduce it If I preferred. She left it at 100 and since then I reduce the HAs myself.

It’s fascinating that employees come up with these ‘it’s the policy’ comments to just avoid apologizing or such (not talking about you Rob). My costco fitter put me at 90% to gradually increase over 4 months. She even explained why she was doing it and asked if I was OK with that. So obviously not a costco policy. Just sayin… :roll_eyes: