Questions about Costco Kirkland Signature 5.0

New member here. If it is more appropriate to follow that big KS 5.0 thread instead of opening new one, let me know.

I am a few days on the trial on this pair. I must say these are fantastic. The audiologist at my costco location seems to know quite a lot in general but not particularly familiar with this KS 5.0 so here are the questions. I am on the initial programming I know it will need a few times of adjustment. But now what bothers me is the tone that rings like a bell about 10 times when the battery door is closed, and the tone when the program is switched, and volume is adjusted. These tones are way too loud for me. Is it possible to adjust those down without affecting the gains in the 4 programs?

Also the audiologist programmed the rocker switch on one aid to change the volume up/down, the switch on the other aid to change program. While this setup seems fine, the rocker that changes program, whether I press the up or down button, it cycles through the same way, 1 >> 2 >> 3 >> 4 >>1… Is it possible to program it such that the up and down buttons cycle through in opposite order? i.e. one would do 1 >> 2 >> 3… the other does 1 >> 4 >> 3 >> 2…

Thanks in advance.

You are experiencing what is to be expected when you first have aids. You are hearing sounds that your brain is not used to hearing. In m case bird singing was loud, my wife clinging pans together lifted me off my seat, the refrigerator motor sounded like a truck motor, etc. It will take a little time to become acquainted to these sounds. I had exactly the same issues and almost returned the K5s after three or four days. Find out if your aids are set for linear or non-liner response. Mine were originally set for linear and I was so disappointed I went to a different Costco and the fitter there changed my programming which made things much better. Now, after a couple of months, and a half dozen additional visits these sounds are very normal.

You can have any number assigned to any of the available programs such as binaural, music, restaurant, party, telephone, soft switching and so on. But the programs chosen for each number sequence will be the same for each press of the switch. I believe that the switch used to change the program will work in only one direction because the other direction is reserved for activating streaming with a remote TV or audio accessory.

Stick with it, you will be very happy in the end.

For me they made the chimes for changing programs a different volume independent of the volume for the programs themselves. Also they changed the order of what 1,2,3 and 4 were. I wanted a different sequence. Have Versos which are basically the same but were $$$ Love them!

— Updated —

For me they made the chimes for changing programs a different volume independent of the volume for the programs themselves. Also they changed the order of what 1,2,3 and 4 were. I wanted a different sequence. Have Versos which are basically the same but were $$$ Love them!

Yes- the volume level of the beep tones is adjustable. Also, I believe that both aids are default set to control both volume and programming. Quick press top half of rocker= volume up. Quick press bottom half of rocker = volume down. Long press top half of rocket = program change (1234). Long press bottom half of rocker = set to streaming.

You can also have the 10-second startup delay removed. On the hearing aid with buttons set for program change, are you sure that’s the way you want it? What happens if the opposite side becomes defective or is misplaced? Then the remaining unit won’t be able to adjust volume until you get the other one replaced.

Excellent point!
The fitter recommended this way. On the follow-up I will have him change it to short push/long push, same function on both sides.

I have been using hearing aids for 12 years now. KS5 is not my first. So I know it’s not my adaptation. The tone is just too loud. I know after several times of adjustment I will be happy with them.

— Updated —

I have been using hearing aids for 12 years now. KS5 is not my first. So I know it’s not my adaptation. The tone is just too loud. I know after several times of adjustment I will be happy with them.

The startup volume can be changed to a lower setting.

Was at costco yesterday. Had the buttons’ functions changed. Left and right are the same. Short push for volume and long push for program change. The long push isn’t completely to my liking. Both buttons cycle through the programs in the same direction. For example I am at program 2 and want 1, I have to do the long push three times to get to 1. Ideally one button would go throug 1 > 2 > 3 >4 and the other goes 4 > 3 > 2 > 1, isn’t it? The audi could not figure out how to do it. I am not sure it is the limitation of KS 5.0 or he just doesn’t know how to program it that way?

I think that is a limitation. Long push down sets to steaming, so it can’t do both. Also, each aid has to be set to streaming independently if this change is made on the aids themselves.